Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are we building team players

Red Carded
    vCash

Are we building team players

My mighty Arks won division B and I was very proud , but went down to watch the sth lions U17 on the Saturday at Britannia park and was highly impressed at the skill level of a lot of the youth coming thru and the skills but at the same time very disappointed at the way some of the teams played , no game plan , pass to the player with the best side step , all pass to the faster play . Where is the dominate scrum all lineout. These young men are not getting taught game plans , all how to play as a team . This is not a thread to bag these volunteers but for the faceless men to start supporting these coaches and to have the WARU to back them up and get the paid coaches of the Force to help these volunteers out . West Australian had there hooker out there on Saturday against the Kiwis but lets bring more thru the grades . Its time the faceless men of senior and junior rugby listen to the crowds .

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    How the fuck did you get through life thinking all means or?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

vCash
    When he started relying on the accuracy of his 'smart' phones auto fill feature. ..

Player
    vCash
    The Force and Rugby WA had 3 coaching sessions held during the season - with Dwayne Nestor, David Wessels and Kevin Foote.
    All excellent sessions outlying skill sets, defensive patterns and attacking drives.
    They held coaching sessions and the beginning of the season with Richard Thelan and I was witness to Graham Cooper out at our club doing a couple Level 1s with coaches.
    That was only the goodness that I saw, and I'm not known for paying attention.

Tobias / Dane are running the junior clinics in school holidays on skill develop across the board.
    There is heaps being put in and offered.

And then within clubs, higher up coaches freely giving a helping hand and offering advice to situations.

Suppose a person can only speak from their observations, but just wanted to say, there is huge effort being offered from the parent rugby body for those that want it.

Coaching teenagers is another story though, they reckon they know better, they have more 'skills' and can step better than anyone.
    They do the stupid Quade hop/skip and SBW back handed flick and pass to no-one. And their parents think they should already be on contract.
    Don't envy coaches 13-17s in any way shape or form.

Champion
    vCash
    The mentality of get the ball to the biggest and best player in order to win is widespread.Watched 4 games on Sat morning and the one thing that really stuck out was how easily the rest of the pack catch up to yesterday's superstar who absolutely dominated 2 years ago and is now just another cab of the rank.
    Mum and dad along with the coach tell little Johnny how he's the next best thing and when he's about 16 or 17 and no better and in a lot of cases worse than the kid who has scrapped his way up suddenly starts getting put back on his arse he thinks to himself this isn't meant to be happening because I was told I am going to be a pro player.
    He either gives it away altogether or slowly fades out of sight. That kid's club coach has a lot to answer for because he wasn't honest to begin with and just wanted winning results.
    Have seen this a hundred times

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by G_Beard View Post
    They do the stupid Quade hop/skip and SBW back handed flick and pass to no-one.
    My nephew was doing some of those stupid little skips, so I flattened him three times on the trot and asked him how he thought I caught him. Don't know if it did any good, but had to laugh when his dad just smiled and said "Told you..."

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Red Carded
    vCash
    Education is continuous , putting on school holiday programmes that cost $100 don't seem to be helping the chardonnay clubs as there seems to be only one with teams in the finals .Not being negative but who is going to do something about this . These paid WARU members need to be coming up with better ideas and not just a glorified daycare centre in the school holidays .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenmile View Post
    Education is continuous , putting on school holiday programmes that cost $100 don't seem to be helping the chardonnay clubs as there seems to be only one with teams in the finals .Not being negative but who is going to do something about this . These paid WARU members need to be coming up with better ideas and not just a glorified daycare centre in the school holidays .
    7mile - Its people like you that expect to be spoon fed all through their lives. With limited resources the development group are working with over 10,000 school kids a year, run over 20 clinics and basically work from 0800 (earlier on weekends) until 1800 6 days a week to help grow the game. You want to complain about the standard of junior coaching... become one yourself.... simple.

BTW the $100, covers coaching, kit, food, skills sessions, etc etc. I think that you will find that most of the Chardonnay set kids are usually on holiday with mum and dad in the Maldives during these holiday session and the majority of the kids attending are from outside the Golden Triangle - that being said.. with so few WS juniors making the finals.. these day care centers might just be working

Player
    vCash
    What's your suggestions?
    It's easy being negative, there seems to be a few professionals at that around.
    But pointing fingers saying that's shit, someone else fix it leads no where.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by G_Beard View Post
    What's your suggestions?
    For the Maldives?

http://www.amillafushimaldives.com/

Rookie
    vCash
    The last couple of years have also seen the creation of "super teams" - coaches approaching good players from other teams - whilst in the short term a winning team may be created - as Westie man mentioned in his post and 7mile is talking about - the players are missing out on crucial development - those club coaches who are delivering on these essentia skills are gold.
    Whilst everyone has the right to play at the club of their choice for whatever reason , practices such as these do no one any favours in the long run.

vCash
    Hohepa - you are bang on. The kids who are "super stars" at 16 tend to get found out when the best of the rest catch up in size and skill. As I have mentioned before, it is amazing that no Aramore player has made the step beyond school/schoolboys. All kids should play regardless though the concept of "participation not winning", "no result so that no one feels bad" and most of the liberal twaddle speak is not my cup of tea, on one should be marginalised at any age group or we loose the grass roots right at the begining

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitythefool View Post
    All kids should play regardless though the concept of "participation not winning", "no result so that no one feels bad" and most of the liberal twaddle speak is not my cup of tea
    well yes and no, I'm not for the PC side of those concepts, but to a certain extent, taking the pressure of winning the game off kids minds can help them to concentrate on just playing good rugby......let's face it, the whole problem with junior rugby up until about 13s is that it's too easy to just give it to the big kid and have him trundle the ball over the line with 12 opposition players hanging off of him.

I was always a fan of getting every kid involved in the position which suited their body type at the time and trying to make the rugby LOOK like rugby.....if that meant more tries than the opposition all well and good, but if it didn't I felt it was going to bring dividends later in their life.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    in the old days back in NZ,junior rugby was based on weight,not age--thus eliminating the pass it to the big boy senario

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    So you never got into seniors then Gunny

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast