Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SPIRIT NAMES STANDARDS GROUP FOR BUILDCORP NRC

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

SPIRIT NAMES STANDARDS GROUP FOR BUILDCORP NRC

PERTH SPIRIT MEDIA RELEASE
    Tuesday, 19 August 2014

The Perth Spirit has named a seven-man Standards Group for the upcoming 2014 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC).

Western Force representatives Kyle Godwin, Luke Morahan, Ian Prior, Heath Tessmann, Rory Walton and Sam Wykes have been included in the group that helps set and oversee the on- and off-field standards within the playing squad.

Spirit coaches, Dave Wessels and Kevin Foote will name a captain for each Perth Spirit match from the Standards Group.

Force scrumhalf Alby Mathewson completes the six-man group, as a non-playing member of the Perth Spirit squad.

The Perth Spirit, which is an extension of the Western Force program, will broaden the WA rugby player base by allowing the best of the Pindan Premier Grade to regularly play alongside Western Force against the best emerging rugby talent in Australia.

Western Force head coach Michael Foley says the Standards Group not only reinforces the standards of the group but also exposes a greater number of players to leadership within the team.

“The Standards Group has run very effectively for the Western Force over the past two seasons,” he said. “Part of the success of the Force has been the ability of the playing group to challenge each other to reach higher standards.

“As this playing group progresses through the NRC – and into a new Super Rugby season – ensuring that we’re continuing to hold ourselves to higher standards will be integral to our continual development as a team and the results we can achieve.

“While Sam, Alby and Kyle have been members of the Standards Group during the Super Rugby season, this presents a fantastic opportunity for Luke, Ian, Rory and Heath to take on the additional responsibility and leadership within the group to drive our team standards.”

The Perth-based side will kick off its NRC campaign against the Canberra Vikings in Canberra on Saturday, 23 August.

The Spirit will play home matches in Perth at McGillivray Oval (Sunday, 31 August), Joondalup Arena (Sunday, 28 September) and Rockingham Rugby Union Club (Saturday, 4 October). Click here to purchase your tickets to Perth Spirit home matches.

2014 Perth Spirit – Standards Group

Name Position Club
    Kyle Godwin Centre Associates/Western Force
    Luke Morahan Wing/fullback Kalamunda/Western Force
    Ian Prior Scrumhalf Nedlands/Western Force
    Heath Tessmann Hooker Nedlands/Western Force
    Rory Walton Lock Wests Scarborough/Western Force
    Sam Wykes Lock Wests Scarborough/Western Force
    Alby Mathewson* N/A Kalamunda/Western Force

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Love the idea of the revolving captaincy. They will all have something to prove.

vCash
    I found this interesting:
    Force scrumhalf Alby Mathewson completes the six-man group, as a non-playing member of the Perth Spirit squad.
    So Alby's around the Spirit squad (not gone back to NZ to play in the ITM Cup) and appears to be taking on a more coach/mentor role. Maybe he's thinking about what happens in a few years time when he retires. Either way, getting involved with the coaches and their thinking for the Spirit should help when he's on the field for the Force.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I would say when the ARU gave us the ability to retain him beyond the two year marque signing period, it would have been conditional upon him doing something like this rather than returning for ITM Cup.

No surprises, but word around HQ is that the NRC trophy is headed west, they really want to take this out

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Veteran
    vCash
    Reading the part about Alby make me happy that he is 100% in it for the Force and the boys he plays with. not darting back to NZ or over east in the off season.

the more i hear about him, the more i like him!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Hopefully this time out let's hi ankle recover for next year

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

No surprises, but word around HQ is that the NRC trophy is headed west, they really want to take this out
    That would be so awesome! And the perfect lead in to the S15 season :-))

Get in the Spirit!!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    That would be so awesome! And the perfect lead in to the S15 season :-))

Get in the Spirit!!
    I think we should be a good chance, from what I have seen I think we will have one of the strongest squads along with Melbourne and the Brisbane City team if they get players coming back from injury (eg Quade and Genia)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Just wish all the games could be televised each week

vCash
    Likewise, either Fox Sports doesn't think they will rate or the ARU haven't agreed to the whole comp being televised. Either way it's us the fans that get the short end.

Not to mention the unfriendly timeslot for televised games.

Should have given a game to Channel 10 for a bargain basement price and have it lead in to the Bledisloe game this weekend.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Word round club's is each match day 22 squad has already been selected for each game barring injury with most Force players not required for interstate games due to their heavy travel schedule this season.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Apprentice
    vCash
    allowing the best of the Pindan Premier Grade to regularly play alongside Western Force against the best emerging rugby talent in Australia.

Obviously not, if the PG Hampshire winner isn't even in the squad

Player
    vCash
    I am very impressed with the Perth Spirit as a team and organisation.
    Reckon we've got this!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Likewise, either Fox Sports doesn't think they will rate or the ARU haven't agreed to the whole comp being televised. Either way it's us the fans that get the short end.

Not to mention the unfriendly timeslot for televised games.

Should have given a game to Channel 10 for a bargain basement price and have it lead in to the Bledisloe game this weekend.
    A few things need to be made clear here. To tell are effectively footing the bill for the entire competition. Without their money there would be no NRC. If Ten were willing to pay the same then they would have the rights. We have to make do with what we have at present.

Second, Foxtel are only broadcasting games where they have production bases which are are all on the east coast. That's the reason for the disparity. I don't like it anymore than you but as they are paying to broadcast it we have to cop it for now. If it prove popular enough to warrant an increase come negotiation time then hopefully that will be addressed.

It's not perfect. But we need to get behind it to push it over the top to he us some bargaining power to get it upgraded and more games televised.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by G_Beard View Post
    I am very impressed with the Perth Spirit as a team and organisation.
    Reckon we've got this!
    Let's hope so, I said that the last time!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast