Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallabies Squad announcement Today

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    All Blacks set for Bledisloe
    AAP
    By Darren Walton
    August 14, 2014, 9:44 am

Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie has finalised his bench for Saturday's Rugby Championship opener, with Western Force loose forward Ben McCalman omitted for the clash with the All Blacks at ANZ Stadium.

McKenzie has opted for a traditional 5-3 split on the bench, with hooker James Hanson, props Ben Alexander and Pek Cowan, lock Will Skelton and back-rower Scott Higginbotham covering the forwards.

The three backline replacements are halfback Nick Phipps, five-eighth Bernard Foley and outside back Tevita Kuridrani.

The all-conquering All Blacks arrive in Sydney on Thursday night to finalise their preparations for the Bledisloe Cup blockbuster.

Unbeaten in 2013, the All Blacks are shooting for a world-record 18th straight Test win.

But the Wallabies are quietly confident of ending the world champions' remarkable streak after chalking up seven consecutive wins of their own.

Veteran centre Adam Ashley-Cooper says the NSW Waratahs' breakthrough Super Rugby final triumph over the Crusaders two weeks ago in Sydney has also fuelled the Wallabies with the belief they can finally break New Zealand's 12-year trans-Tasman domination.

But the 94-Test stalwart knows it won't be easy.

"They've got challenges across the park from one to 15," Ashley-Cooper said.

"Obviously they're good from set piece. They're good from anywhere in the field. They've got a number of key players that are huge threats.

"For us, it's about nailing our own detail, making sure we're all on the same page and that all the knowledge and understanding becomes second nature so we can go out there and just give it our best.

"We have to go out there and work hard for 80 minutes, work harder than we have before."

After a vintage season for the Waratahs, crowned by two-try, man-of-the-match display in the 33-32 final win, Ashley-Cooper is back in his preferred outside centre position after spending the three-Test series against France on the wing.

"When it's all said and done, 13's my favourite position," he said.

"And that's been off the back of the time spent there this year and just how I've enjoyed it, enjoyed just playing my footy, and I've done that in the No.13 jersey.

"So there's something there that tells me that's where I belong."

Wallabies (15-1): Israel Folau, Pat McCabe, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Matt Toomua, Rob Horne, Kurtley Beale, Nic White, Wycliff Palu, Michael Hooper (capt), Scott Fardy, Rob Simmons, Sam Carter, Sekope Kepu, Nathan Charles, James Slipper. Reserves: James Hanson, Pek Cowan, Ben Alexander, Will Skelton, Scott Higginbotham, Nick Phipps, Bernard Foley, Tevita Kuridrani.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...for-bledisloe/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    All Blacks set for Bledisloe
    AAP
    By Darren Walton
    August 14, 2014, 9:44 am

Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie has finalised his bench for Saturday's Rugby Championship opener, with Western Force loose forward Ben McCalman omitted for the clash with the All Blacks at ANZ Stadium.

McKenzie has opted for a traditional 5-3 split on the bench, with hooker James Hanson, props Ben Alexander and Pek Cowan, lock Will Skelton and back-rower Scott Higginbotham covering the forwards.

The three backline replacements are halfback Nick Phipps, five-eighth Bernard Foley and outside back Tevita Kuridrani.

The all-conquering All Blacks arrive in Sydney on Thursday night to finalise their preparations for the Bledisloe Cup blockbuster.

Unbeaten in 2013, the All Blacks are shooting for a world-record 18th straight Test win.

But the Wallabies are quietly confident of ending the world champions' remarkable streak after chalking up seven consecutive wins of their own.

Veteran centre Adam Ashley-Cooper says the NSW Waratahs' breakthrough Super Rugby final triumph over the Crusaders two weeks ago in Sydney has also fuelled the Wallabies with the belief they can finally break New Zealand's 12-year trans-Tasman domination.

But the 94-Test stalwart knows it won't be easy.

"They've got challenges across the park from one to 15," Ashley-Cooper said.

"Obviously they're good from set piece. They're good from anywhere in the field. They've got a number of key players that are huge threats.

"For us, it's about nailing our own detail, making sure we're all on the same page and that all the knowledge and understanding becomes second nature so we can go out there and just give it our best.

"We have to go out there and work hard for 80 minutes, work harder than we have before."

After a vintage season for the Waratahs, crowned by two-try, man-of-the-match display in the 33-32 final win, Ashley-Cooper is back in his preferred outside centre position after spending the three-Test series against France on the wing.

"When it's all said and done, 13's my favourite position," he said.

"And that's been off the back of the time spent there this year and just how I've enjoyed it, enjoyed just playing my footy, and I've done that in the No.13 jersey.

"So there's something there that tells me that's where I belong."

Wallabies (15-1): Israel Folau, Pat McCabe, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Matt Toomua, Rob Horne, Kurtley Beale, Nic White, Wycliff Palu, Michael Hooper (capt), Scott Fardy, Rob Simmons, Sam Carter, Sekope Kepu, Nathan Charles, James Slipper. Reserves: James Hanson, Pek Cowan, Ben Alexander, Will Skelton, Scott Higginbotham, Nick Phipps, Bernard Foley, Tevita Kuridrani.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...for-bledisloe/
    There is no way you could justify picking Higgers ahead of McCalman on form this year. No doubt he has been picked on potential, i.e. he could come on and do something really good and flashy but don't worry about him doing his main job first.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    But has AAC got a poem for the occasion???!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    There is no way you could justify picking Higgers ahead of McCalman on form this year. No doubt he has been picked on potential, i.e. he could come on and do something really good and flashy but don't worry about him doing his main job first.
    They went with Higgers over Ben Mac because having Skelton on the bench ahead of Horwill ment they needed someone who is not nly a good lineout option but also someone who can run a lineout which McCalman doesnt do. Higgers has been one of the callers for the rebels for the past 2 years.

If Simmons went down and we have McCalman and Sketlton on the bench then or lineout wil go to shit real quick.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Wallabies are Gold
    and Kiwis All Black
    It's about bloody time
    We won the Bledisloe back!

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    They went with Higgers over Ben Mac because having Skelton on the bench ahead of Horwill ment they needed someone who is not nly a good lineout option but also someone who can run a lineout which McCalman doesnt do. Higgers has been one of the callers for the rebels for the past 2 years.

If Simmons went down and we have McCalman and Sketlton on the bench then or lineout wil go to shit real quick.
    good point, these things you forget in the heat of the moment!

vCash

This post is devil speak as it doesn't support the inclusion of a Force player

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Getting a bit tired of all of the articles written by apologists from/for NSW/Waratahs.

Hooper doesn't play a traditional No 7's role so the rest of the team have to lift at the breakdown (so Hooper can seagull out wide and be 3rd or 4th in at the breakdown or lay his hand on someones shoulder so he still gets the statistic for involvement).

Now, because Skelton can't play the full Lock's role, we start selecting players not on form but because they have to cover for Skelton.
    There is no way, on form, that seagull/yellow-card-attracting Higgers deserves to be in the Wallabies side. He had an absolute shocking 2nd half of the season.

Skelton can be a wrecking ball but proved no threat at nib (kept out well by Hodgo & Wilhelm) and is a liability in the tackle (too high yellow cards).

Hodgson and McCalman are entitled to feel a bit peeved just because they wear the wrong shade of blue!!

Sadly I feel that the ABs are going to be too good AGAIN as they'll be too good at the set play, at the breakdown, our wings offer no real threat and Beale will have nowhere to hide in defence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Getting a bit tired of all of the articles written by apologists from/for NSW/Waratahs.

Hooper doesn't play a traditional No 7's role so the rest of the team have to lift at the breakdown (so Hooper can seagull out wide and be 3rd or 4th in at the breakdown or lay his hand on someones shoulder so he still gets the statistic for involvement).

Now, because Skelton can't play the full Lock's role, we start selecting players not on form but because they have to cover for Skelton.
    There is no way, on form, that seagull/yellow-card-attracting Higgers deserves to be in the Wallabies side. He had an absolute shocking 2nd half of the season.

Skelton can be a wrecking ball but proved no threat at nib (kept out well by Hodgo & Wilhelm) and is a liability in the tackle (too high yellow cards).

Hodgson and McCalman are entitled to feel a bit peeved just because they wear the wrong shade of blue!!

Sadly I feel that the ABs are going to be too good AGAIN as they'll be too good at the set play, at the breakdown, our wings offer no real threat and Beale will have nowhere to hide in defence.
    Put like that it really makes you think just how the whole Wallabies team is shifted to accommodate the Tards. Am still filthy on Hodgo not even getting at least some game time despite being the best in form 7 this season. How Higgers has managed to snaffle the spot despite his atrocious form this year is beyond me, surely the lineout can still function without him! Here's an idea- why not shift the whole team around so that the Force guys can all play instead?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What I would like to know is whether Hodgson was the best in role in Super Rugby this year. Now a number of sources say "yes" he was the best; in the whole competition no less.

So, and if I could get a coach's opinion here, shouldn't he be in the team automatically? I know there are other Force players we can argue about, or other Waratahs we can grumble about; but treating Hodgson as a specific case, is he not the best in the tournament?

I'm curious to hear from Scott Allen about this Wallaby squad.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    The argument that has been put to me is that it's not just about stats; it's also about winning combinations. The Tahs have a winning combination, and have played together (as an über successful winning combination no less) more recently than the Force guys. Ergo the Tahs' players are the right choice!

Not sure where Higgers fits into that argument though!

Guess we'll just have to see what sort of game plan gets rolled out tomorrow night!

vCash
    All I can really imagine for the game tomorrow is watching Beale galloping off sideways across field trying to look like he's cleverly about to throw a no look pass to Folau just before he gets hammered in a tackle.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

And here was me thinking it was because we hadn't picked any wingers

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    All I can really imagine for the game tomorrow is watching Beale galloping off sideways across field trying to look like he's cleverly about to throw a no look pass to Folau just before he gets hammered in a tackle.
    This is one of the major worries that I'm having.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    But has AAC got a poem for the occasion???!!
    Very cheeky, Alison

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast