Thread: End of season Super Rugby XV picks from NZ

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

End of season Super Rugby XV picks from NZ

JAMES LAWLER
    Last updated 09:23 17/07/2014

Few things divide opinion in New Zealand as much as rugby and who should make the team. James Lawler sent us his dream end of season line-up for the best Super Rugby XV.

15. Ben Smith, Highlanders: Been the best footballer for my mind. His attacking ability has been breath-taking and especially his tackling.

14. Nick Cummins, Western Force: Been a brilliant attribute for the Force in how he lifts the team spirit when needed. He will be missed in Australian rugby.

13. Ryan Crotty, Crusaders: Mr Reliable for me. You can depend on him in every match that he will try his best every game.

12. Kurtley Beale, Waratahs: This guy at 12 has been a revelation. We are starting to see him play his best rugby ever. His steps and so on have been brilliant.

11. Julian Savea, Hurricanes: The Bus, as he is known, has been brilliant for the Canes. The way he busts the line and creates havoc every time he touches the ball.

10. Bernard Foley, Waratahs: Three years ago I said watch out for the name Bernard Foley and I wasn't wrong. This guy has it all. His kicking game is brilliant, his ability on attack - wow. He will be the difference for the 'Tahs for me this season.

You could easily have the likes of Matt Toomua of the Brumbies, Beauden Barrett of the Hurricanes or Colin Slade from the Crusaders, but Foley to me adds that bit extra.

9. Alby Mathewson, Western Force: For me, you could have had anyone in that backline at half-back, but Mathewson deserves a mention this year. He has guided his Force team around the paddock really well.

His passing game and his running game have made the Force more of a threat. When he came on against the Brumbies he made a huge difference.

8. Jerome Kaino, Blues. My token Blues player. Number 8 was a tough one, because it was close, but Kaino has showed the form that was there in the World Cup.

7. Matt Hodgson, Western Force: You're probably wondering why on earth so many Force players and this guy doesn't deserve to be in there. But for me he does. Matt is what makes this Force side the side they are and he has been with the club since their inception into Super Rugby. He is just a complete workhorse of the ball and gets to the breakdown.

6. Jordan Taufua, Crusaders: This guy has been the most improved player of the season. He was a bit quiet but wow, have I been impressed.

5. Sam Whitelock, Crusaders: No surprises there, he has been the best lock in the country for some time now and is the best line-out jumper.

4. Brodie Retallick, Chiefs: Brodie Retallick has been immense this season for the chiefs and has been the difference for them making the play-offs.

3. Tendai "Beast" Mtawarira: Sharks: Best front rower in SA.

2. Dane Coles, Hurricanes: As someone said on a sports show, Coles isn't just a hooker but a rugby player. To me, he is the best hooker in the country and will be the next Sean Fitzpatrick.

1. Wyatt Crockett, Crusaders: Brilliant scrummager.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/...Rugby-XV-picks

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Praise indeed! Very happy to see Hodgo's name in that list - that's very well deserved recognition

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Praise indeed! Very happy to see Hodgo's name in that list - that's very well deserved recognition
    Hallelujah to that!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    Wyatt Crockett? He is a terrible scrummager who has every ref in the world conned, have a close look at him packing the scrum, it's rarely straight, and most often when it is he's wearing roller skates.

Pretty busy around the park, but the richie McCaw of the front row.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the