Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New Perth Stadium design revealed

vCash

New Perth Stadium design revealed

PERTH’S new sports stadium will cost more than $900 million to build, and more than half of it will be funded by the taxpayer.

The final cost for the five-tiered facility was revealed as Premier Colin Barnett and Sports Minister Terry Waldron unveiled the official design today.

Mr Barnett said “all issues” relating to the stadium had been resolved and that the contract with Brookfield’s WestStadium would be signed within days.

He also said the total cost had come in $40 million under budget.

The new stadium is expected to cost $820.7m to build. $81.7m has been set aside for a sports precinct, and $16 million has been allocated for project management.

The Premier said 60 per cent of the stadium would be funded by the taxpayer during the construction stage with the remainder (40 per cent) to be funded through a 25-year finance package with the construction company.

He said this represented a good deal for the state and dismissed suggestions it might burden future governments.

However he did admit he did not expect revenue from the stadium to pay the overall bill, and that when you factor in interest it would cost more.

“I don’t know if all of revenue will pay all of the costs, the state government expects to pay for this stadium both through the construction and through the financing package,” he said.

“That’s the reality of stadiums all around the world – they are taxpayer funded. However this stadium will be so good that I have no doubt that all major sporting events will be held in this stadium. The biggest attendance, of course, will be over the course of the AFL season.

“The state is only having to find 60 percent of the cost at construction stage. The remaining 40 per cent is financed over that 25 year period. It’s exactly the same as a mortgage on a house, yes you pay capital and yes you pay interest.

“What this does is that today’s community is bearing most of the cost of the new stadium but 40 per cent will be paid for over 25 years of operations. That’s an appropriate way to fund a stadium.”

“But at the end of the day the taxpayer, the state government will fund the cost of the stadium.”

The new Perth Stadium will feature roof coverage to more than 85 per cent of its seats, a bronze facade that reflects WA’s geology, LED lights that show home sports team colours, and a wide range of ‘fans first’ facilities including two of the largest video screens in the country.

There will be over 1000 TV screens, 600 bike racks, two giant screens, 70 food and beverage outlets as well as 1500 toilets.

There would be cup holders in every seat.

The design of the sporting and recreation precinct which will surround parts of the stadium will feature Dreamtime stories and will have three distinct recreational spaces.

The western section of the precinct will be house an amphitheatre, two children’s playgrounds, picnic areas and a boardwalk while the community sporting oval to the north will be available for public use on non-event days, as well as providing event-day parking.

Mr Barnett said he was confident the new Perth Stadium would be used by all sporting codes despite discussions still taking place.

“I think internal rugby 2020 cricket, a test match maybe and certainly AFL,” he said. “And of course concerts and other public events. Any code will use the best stadium. And I think you have seen cricket and others acknowledging that.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/west...-1226991912416

I was having a look at the actual website for the new stadium and it would appear that the movable bowl level seats have been taken out of the design

http://www.perthstadium.com.au/home

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That's probably the $40 million underspend accounted for then Jargs!

vCash
    I hope the seats are movable to accommodate us ! Not another Subiaco where we are miles from the action!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    awesome I like it!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    I hope the seats are movable to accommodate us ! Not another Subiaco where we are miles from the action!
    Not sure but there seem to be three extra rows in the high-res version of the 'rugby configuration' picture.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    So The Arena was budgeted at $250 million and cost about $750 million and this is budgeted at $900 million, so it should only really cost.............................................. .................................................. ................

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The cup holders on each seat will double as telescope holders for Rugby matches.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    So The Arena was budgeted at $250 million and cost about $750 million and this is budgeted at $900 million, so it should only really cost.............................................. .................................................. ................
    Name:  dr-evil.jpg
Views: 1774
Size:  33.3 KB

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Looks okay actually. From the mock-ups, I think there will be some ability to reconfigure the seats. The bottom bowl looks detached, so it may be very similar to the Stade de France, with it's ability to be re-configured. At least I hope so, if they are going to spend that much money. It's not like they'd build a tunnel with not enough lanes or anything...

Of course we'll only need to shift the seats once a year for the Bokke test, so I WOULD HOPE that the AFL doesn't whinge too much about it. Be a bit of fucking cheek if they did though. Multi-purpose my arse.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 17-07-14 at 14:58.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    They're going to chibi.

I want to know who is managing it. Eventscorp or the WAFL?

vCash
    We would have won 2 finals by then, so they will have to sit up take notice! Maybe the Premier by then will be a Rugby tragic too and therefor give more than 2 bob's worth!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    They're going to chibi.

I want to know who is managing it. Eventscorp or the WAFL?
    I believe it is the consortia who will manage it for the next 25 years. Westadium i think

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    PERTH’S new sports stadium will cost more than $900 million to build, and more than half of it will be funded by the taxpayer.
    “I think internal rugby 2020 cricket, a test match maybe and certainly AFL,” he said. “And of course concerts and other public events. Any code will use the best stadium. And I think you have seen cricket and others acknowledging that.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/west...-1226991912416
    Whats "internal rugby"?

Also if you go to the Perth Stadium website and look at rugby, it shows this:

Name:  Perth Stadium - Rugby format.jpg
Views: 3022
Size:  80.7 KB

Looks a lot like Spewbi to me...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by blueandblack; 17-07-14 at 16:38.
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    agreed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Whats "internal rugby"?

Also if you go to the Perth Stadium website and look at rugby, it shows this:

Name:  Perth Stadium - Rugby format.jpg
Views: 3022
Size:  80.7 KB

so we're totally fucked then hey?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast