Thread: Perth Bayswater apologise to Referee

vCash

Perth Bayswater apologise to Referee

http://boy548.wix.com/perth-rugby-cl...ohn-hill/c1mau

Apology

To John Hill
    Rugby WA Premier Grade Referee

The Perth-Bayswater Rugby Union Club, and myself as webmaster of the club web site (www.perthrugby.com.au), wish to express our regret at the publication of the internet news article on that site on 7 June 2014 (in its original form) under the headline "Daylight robbery at Pat O'Hara", covering the Rugby WA premier grade club match between Perth-Bayswater and Cottesloe.

The intent and nature of this news article was to reflect the passions of the club's supporters in this vital fixture, and the disappointment in a close loss, and reflected the opinion that the referee had a decisive influence on the outcome. It was published in the context of a rugby club web site, where informal, parochial and entirely subjective views would be appropriately expressed, if in an admittedly colourful manner, and was not intended as impartial or formal information.

It was not my intent as the author of the item, nor was it the intent of the Perth-Bayswater Rugby Union Club, to state or to imply that you, as the officially appointed referee for this Rugby WA club competition fixture, was in any way prejudiced, dishonest, malicious or lacked competence in the discharge of your duties, or failed to properly apply the laws of the game during this fixture.

However, I acknowledge that the careless use of idiom and a failure to properly appreciate the impact on a readership outside of the club may have breached the ARU Code of Conduct in relation to public comments on referees, and I sincerely regret any hurt or anguish the publication of this article may have caused you.

I personally, and on behalf of the club, wish to acknowledge your significant contribution to the sport of rugby union in this State and express our appreciation of your many years of selfless service to enable players and supporters of this and other clubs to enjoy this growing sport in Western Australia. I wish to assure you that I personally and the management of Perth-Bayswater will be pleased to welcome you to Pat O'Hara Reserve and our clubrooms on the next occasion that you have a home game with us.

Sincerely,

Rick Boyd
    Club Webmaster and Life Member
    Perth-Bayswater Rugby Union Club

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    WARURA Referee
    I do it because I love the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyRef View Post
    http://boy548.wix.com/perth-rugby-cl...ohn-hill/c1mau

... reflected the opinion that the referee had a decisive influence on the outcome..

then...

...nor was it the intent of the Perth-Bayswater Rugby Union Club, to state or to imply that you, as the officially appointed referee for this Rugby WA club competition fixture, was in any way prejudiced, dishonest, malicious or lacked competence in the discharge of your duties, or failed to properly apply the laws of the game during this fixture.

... It was published in the context of a rugby club web site, where informal, parochial and entirely subjective views would be appropriately expressed, if in an admittedly colourful manner, and was not intended as impartial or formal information...

(so you shouldn't take it so badly?)

However, I acknowledge that the careless use of idiom and a failure to properly appreciate the impact on a readership outside of the club may have breached the ARU Code of Conduct in relation to public comments on referees, and I sincerely regret any hurt or anguish the publication of this article may have caused you.
    Sorry, this is not an apology.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Reacting as having personally witnessed the goings-on:

...wish to express our regret...
    ....may have breached the ARU Code of Conduct...
    ...and I sincerely regret any hurt or anguish ...
    I can't see any apology whatsoever other than in the title. I'll bet there's a bunch of regret, given the aftermath, but it rings very hollow as an apology. I for one feel disappointed with this publication.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    so what happened....?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    As it's old new we shall not bring back up what happened, there is another thread that explains it. However, it is safe to say this was not Perth's finest moment in rugby.

They are a club that is rebuilding, and the team itself is starting to reap the benefits of playing better as a unit (and the majority of the players themselves are excellent), as the results this year have shown.

Occasionally results don't go your way, but there are a number of spectators whose behaviour and attitudes towards the match officials had (and I hope it remains past tense) been unacceptable.

They need to be careful though, a club in Newcastle NSW had the same issue a few years ago and had referees withdrawn from their games. After this the club went from bad to worse and eventually had to fold the next season, as without officially appointed referees, they were not permitted to play. No one wants this to happen here, but at the same time match officials should not be subject to verbal or written abuse (and certainly never physical abuse) from anyone.

We know it's a thankless job, and we know people are passionate about their teams, but we are all volunteers, and the more experiences referees have like this, the harder it is to replace them when they decide to throw in the towel.

You don't have to agree with us, you don't have to shake our hands, you don't even have to buy us a drink, but we would appreciate that you keep any negative thoughts to yourself. With social media these days being virtually instant, it's can be a bad trap. (As Todd Carney found out).

WARURA Referee
    I do it because I love the game.

vCash
    Rick should know better than to suggest that he didn't think posting the article on a club website was anything other than public information.....it's virtually shouting it from the rooftops.

I can only assume that he's identifying himself as the author of the article as a result of being informed that libel charges will not be sought.

I agree with Ecky, as an apology, it is weak, never really suggests that what was written was wrong and fails to express remorse for writing the article, only regretting that it wasn't read in the context of a completely one-eyed Perth Bayswater readership.

I have witnessed (and delivered) plenty of those diatribes during my (albeit short) time at Rocky, but never in such a broad context, those words rarely even exit the post-match change room.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I think the sanctimonious bush lawyers should leave well enough alone.

As many "passionate" supporters have regretted their utterances the following day as have referees for their decisions on viewing the replays.

Both men involved are bigger than the issue, and will have shared several beers together long before it's forgotten by lesser mortals.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    It's history guy's, move on

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    We had Mr Hill referee Kala vs Pally on Saturday. I will not lie, I was concerned about this appointment remembering the UWA v Kala game from earlier in the year and the speculation surrounding the handling of the subsequent match between Cottesloe and Baysie. Alas my fears and concerns were not warranted. Mr Hill was able to officiate a well flowing contest between two sides clinging to finals hopes. The game was well managed and the result was determined by the players.
    Valuable lessons have been learnt and the game has moved on for the better. Long may Mr Hill continue to referee in such a professional and impartial manner.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    is this Rick the same clown that used to do the articles in the West?

GRAB YOUR MATE!

Prospect
    vCash
    Wow Rick Boyd, still doing impartial "opinion pieces" to this day. Was doing the same when I first arrived in Perth in the late 90's.