Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 17 Force v Blues - Game thread

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Rnd 17 Force v Blues - Game thread

June 26, 2014

Steven Luatua returns to the starting XV for Saturday’s clash against the Force in Perth.

The 23-year-old blindside flanker has not featured in the run-on side since Round 10 against the Hurricanes after being squeezed out by the in-form Peter Saili, but head coach Sir John Kirwan said it was time to give Luatua an opportunity.

“He’s been away with the All Blacks and he’s come back full of energy and I think he needs an opportunity to push his way back into the side,” Kirwan said.

“We all know he’s got the ability and he’s probably had an average season so far but there’s no doubting the quality of the man so I think it’s a great opportunity for him to really put his hand up, play well, stay selected with us and then really push for The Rugby Championship side with the All Blacks.

“He’s been working really hard with the ABs and he’s come back a bit fitter so it’s a good chance for him.”

Livewire midfielder Francis Saili will make his return from injury via the bench after missing the last four matches with an ankle sprain sustained during training.

Kirwan said Saili would bolster a strong bench which also features wing Tevita Li who re-joins the Blues after a superb campaign with the New Zealand U20s at the Junior World Championship.

“It’s really exciting to have Francis back in the football team,” Kirwan said.

“This is a ‘throw your dice’ game of football, we can’t really drop another match and if we get up on Saturday it’s going to give us some real momentum so having someone like Francis coming off the bench gives us a real boost.

“He’s trained well, he’s had 40 minutes for the development squad last week, he’s done all his contact and he’s jumping out of his skin to get out there.

“That’s the reasoning for selecting Tevita too. He’s had a great Under 20s campaign so having a couple of guys that can do something special for you late when legs are starting to tire really excites us.”

Kirwan has also included all the All Blacks in the starting XV and is hoping they bring their impressive Test form back to Super Rugby level.

“They all really want to play for the Blues so they’re excited about it and we’re looking forward to them bringing their Test form back to us.

“But we also have to realise they’ve just come off a pretty strenuous Test series against a very good England side so we just need to manage them this week and also look after them from a minutes point of view on Saturday.”

Charlie Faumuina had a stomach bug at the start of the week and has been bracketed at tighthead prop with Angus Ta’avao, with a decision on his availability expected to be made later today.

Despite being at the bottom of the New Zealand Conference ladder the Blues still have a chance of making the playoffs if they win their last three matches, and Kirwan said the team had taken a knockout rugby mentality to the remainder of the season.

“We’ve still got destiny in our own hands and we’ve got to start with this one on Saturday night,” he said.

“It’s a hard ask over there. It’s 11:45pm New Zealand time so we’ve got all the excuses in the world but we’ve been talking about absolutely no excuses.

“We need to pick up from the last game we had which was probably our best performance all season against the Canes and if we’re going to be a contender we actually need to start winning away and getting on a roll so it’s not an easy task but it's a great challenge for us."

Blues XV:

1. Tony Woodcock
    2. Keven Mealamu
    3. Charlie Faumuina/Angus Ta’avao
    4. Tom Donnelly
    5. Patrick Tuipulotu
    6. Steven Luatua
    7. Luke Braid (C)
    8. Jerome Kaino
    9. Bryn Hall
    10. Ihaia West
    11. George Moala
    12. Ma’a Nonu
    13. Pita Ahki
    14. Frank Halai
    15. Lolagi Visinia

Reserves:

16. James Parsons
    17. Angus Ta’avao/Tom McCartney
    18. Ofa Tu’ungafasi
    19. Hayden Triggs
    20. Peter Saili
    21. Piri Weepu
    22. Francis Saili
    23. Tevita Li

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugb...ust-win-match/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    As long as the Ref calls the game straight and doesn't ignore
    Woodcock Boring in
    Nonu Shoulder charging everything that's in front of him and holding back anything that isn't.
    Faumuina cheating in defense by being offside
    Kaino lying all over the ball

We should do alright.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    We've got Rohan Hoffman, so I wouldn't bet on us getting the right side of any call!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    “It’s a hard ask over there. It’s 11:45pm New Zealand time so we’ve got all the excuses in the world but we’ve been talking about absolutely no excuses".
    WTF? Is Murray Mexted writing JK's press releases?

Come on the Force! Don't give them any excuses.

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    We've got Rohan Hoffman, so I wouldn't bet on us getting the right side of any call!
    How the hell does that happen with two teams who are both in contention for finals footy three weeks out?

Foxtel place the Force as a good chance of fourth and I'm sure the UnZud press will place the blues about the same. We still get useless muppets!

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    They have a strong side on paper. Good front and back rows. Lots of speed and size in the backs.

As always, we need to be up for this one.

But then again, I say that each week, and each week the lads come through!

Will be great to have some of our guys back from injury. The McMeniman/Kaino clash will be outstanding!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Thursday, 26 June 2014

REINFORCEMENTS RETURN TO FACE THE BLUES

The Western Force will welcome back six players from injury for Saturday night’s (28 June) encounter against the Blues at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium).

Hugh McMeniman (collarbone), Ben McCalman (groin), Alby Mathewson (ankle), Marcel Brache (ankle), Tetera Faulkner (back) and Solomoni Rasolea (wrist) will all return to the Western Force line-up in the club’s first match back following the three-week Test break.

McMeniman will return at blindside flanker in place of Angus Cottrell, who suffered a season-ending ankle injury in the Western Australian club’s last match against the Crusaders in Christchurch. McMeniman will make his first appearance since breaking his collarbone against the Chiefs (Week Six) and will form a new back-row combination with Wallaby representatives Matt Hodgson and Ben McCalman, who returns to the Force starting XV after missing the match in Christchurch.

Mathewson has been selected at scrumhalf in his first match against the Blues since leaving the Auckland club to join the Force for the 2013 Asteron Life Super Rugby season. The 28-year-old, who re-signed with the Force for another two seasons last month, has recovered from an ankle injury sustained against the NSW Waratahs in Week Nine and will again team up with ‘super boot’ flyhalf Sias Ebersohn in the halves.

Outside centre Brache will also make his return from an ankle injury suffered against the Stormers in Cape Town. The fleet-footed midfielder missed the last two matches but will make his comeback alongside Chris Tuatara-Morrison in the centres.

On the bench, Rasolea will re-join squad after a broken wrist sidelined the powerful back since the club’s Week Eight win over the Queensland Reds in Brisbane. He will be joined on the reserves list by Faulkner, who missed the past two matches with a back complaint.

Head Coach Michael Foley says Saturday’s match represents an significant test for the Western Force.

“A large part of our success this season has been the way the boys have maintained focus on the challenge in front of us,” he said. “This match is important as we want to play as well as we can in our next two home games in front of our fantastic supporters.

“One of the features of our season has been how individuals have responded as and when opportunities to play have been presented. On that basis, it’s good to have a number of players returning from injury as it intensifies competition within the squad as we move into the next three games.

“The Blues are a dangerous attacking side and the way we’ve defended, which has given us good go-forward this season, will again be an important part of a good performance on Saturday night.”

Players from the Western Force will wear the socks of their local Western Australian clubs as part of the 'Club & Country' match, that pays tribute to the clubs and nationalities that make up and support Western Australian rugby. Representatives from local clubs and nationalities will also take part in a parade around the ground prior to the match.

The Western Force will be looking to extend its record run of 2014 home wins to six, following victories over the Rebels, Chiefs, Waratahs, Bulls and Lions this season.

Tickets for Saturday night’s match are still available through www.ticketmaster.com.au.

2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week 17
    Western Force v Blues
    The ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium), Perth
    Saturday, 28 June 2014
    Kick-off: 7.45pm (AWST)

1. Pek Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Kieran Longbottom
    4. Sam Wykes
    5. Adam Coleman
    6. Hugh McMeniman
    7. Matt Hodgson (c)
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Alby Mathewson
    10. Sias Ebersohn
    11. Nick Cummins
    12. Chris Tuatara-Morrison
    13. Marcel Brache
    14. Dane Haylett-Petty
    15. Jayden Hayward

Reserves
    16. Heath Tessmann
    17. Tetera Faulkner
    18. Oliver Hoskins
    19. Wilhelm Steenkamp
    20. Brynard Stander
    21. Ian Prior
    22. Zack Holmes
    23. Solomoni Rasolea

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Junior must still be a little tender I would rate him more highly than Marcel for 13.

CTM has certainly made every post a winner since cracking it for some game time hasn't he?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Bit surprised Burton not named. With CTM and Brache as the centre pairing the emphasis is on their defence. They have worked well together before the break. They'll need to even better this week. We won't loose much with DHP either. He's been in great form and gets to press his starting claims again.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Two good teams! This is going to be close, let's just hope it's not decided by rubbish refing!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Maybe the Force press release could have said "We are playing the Blues, so we are expecting the reffing to go against us"

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    SMH is reporting that Luke Godwin will also miss the match. Bugger!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    who would have thunk that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    SMH is reporting that Luke Godwin will also miss the match. Bugger!
    Poor Luke, I don't think I've ever seen him take the field

C'mon the

vCash
    Luke is out for the remainder of the season apparently ;p

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast