Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Club rugby format for 2015??+faceless+faceless

Rookie
    vCash
    It might be a simplistic view but i experienced a Premier grade and "Subbies" model over east a while back and it seems to work well. Allows all to play and to reach the highest point of their competition. I know some clubs have aspirations to play higher and possibly deservedly so, but you only have to look to Sydney where Balmain have plenty of $, a good set up and are hugely successful in the second tier. For the development of the game and the sainity of the clubs and volunteers give the comp a base to work from, i went to watch a mate play on the weekend only to find out the team had forfeited the night before.
    Surely with the limited numbers in WA this could make sense.
    But then again it just one way..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by That guy View Post
    It might be a simplistic view but i experienced a Premier grade and "Subbies" model over east a while back and it seems to work well. Allows all to play and to reach the highest point of their competition. I know some clubs have aspirations to play higher and possibly deservedly so, but you only have to look to Sydney where Balmain have plenty of $, a good set up and are hugely successful in the second tier. For the development of the game and the sainity of the clubs and volunteers give the comp a base to work from, i went to watch a mate play on the weekend only to find out the team had forfeited the night before.
    Surely with the limited numbers in WA this could make sense.
    But then again it just one way..
    Yeah I think that's what we need really. The districts model we had a few years back, probably wasn't a bad idea in hindsight. The only problem was for Wanneroo when they out grew the comp and it took years for us to get out of teh districts comp and into the regular comp. Most games we were winning by 50, 60 points, but RWA made it as difficult as possible for us to return to Prems. They should have looked at the lopsided results and done something about it. I think if you are going to create two divisions it needs to be done in a way that allows clubs to grow, be promoted and clubs to be demoted. If Kwinana exists only in a "Subbies" division and isn't allowed to be promoted irrespective of how well they perform then that won't allow clubs to grow.

Last edited by zed; 24-06-14 at 10:24.

Veteran
    vCash
    Can someone explain the prems/subbies idea?

vCash
    I was speaking with Westies Man the other week about the Champ A comp and how there is a huge gap between best and worst. I was half expecting there to be a split at half-way to Gold & Black (or something), so the bottom half of the ladder then just played each other, as did the top half, and then each would have their own finals series.

That would have done away with the 80+ point floggings, which I expect the winning teams don't really care for either.

Champion
    vCash
    Buck - In one sense you are correct, this year's comp hasn't been what was intended. So many things just didn't help that were out of our control.

The most pleasing aspect of last week's club president's forum was that constructive dialogue and understanding between championship and Premiership clubs took place. In past year's the gap has been too big to bridge and RugbyWa have been accused by one group of favouring the other and so on... At least last week each group listened.

This year's comp was intended to be a stepping stone towards a future model that was put to all clubs and voted on last year. Not every one agreed, but the majority did and not everyone forecast some of the speedbumps that happened before season 2014 got underway.

As promised RugbyWA undertook a mid season review, and contrary to much of the negativity espoused by a few on this site, a few positives did emerge and much of the negatives for most was not as bad as everyone is saying. Some clubs have been hit hard and Westie has every right to complain about the cards they were dealt with.

A reduced pre-season due to the directive from the ARU regarding the NRC meant club grounds normally available following cricket, were not available. Rocky pulling out so close to the start of the season was hugely dissapointing, early Force games, are some of the unknowns that happened after Future search. A shorter pre-season also affected recruitment as has our increased unemployment in WA.

At the end of the season, we'll have another look. I don't think there is a single solution, there are heaps of challenges; How do we keep participation up without affecting aspiration? How do we create a pathway for talented Colts and also a social comp for those not keen on developing? We have researched comps in N.Z., over East, in Seth Efrika and U.K. BUT they all have one thing in their favour. Numbers in close proximity.

if you ask the Championship clubs if this season has been Sh&t, the general answer is No. if you ask Prems - it's not been the best, some are right of Attila, but most accept the intent to be inclusive, grow the game. How long will they be patient - not very long, so it will be looked at.

In the meantime I ask all of you to consult with your presidents who did take the time to be part of last Wednesday's meeting and understand what we are hoping to achieve.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Was just thinking of another idea. They could create a new "premier" competition with fewer teams which would improve the quality of the competition.

So the premier comp could consist of say 6 "new" teams each with their own catchment area:

1) Nedlands/Uni
    2) Palmyra/Southern Lions/Curtin
    3) Cott/Soaks
    4) Wanneroo/Joondalup
    5) Perth/Wests
    6) Kalamunda/Arks/Rockingham/Mandurah/Kwinana/Bunbury/Mandurah

Not sure about the geography but something like that.

Each of the new clubs would pick a squad of the best players from their catchment area (including fringe force players) at the start of the season. They could then take players from their catchment area during the season based on form/injuries etc. They could rotate their home games between each of the clubs in their catchment area. Play each other 3 times = 15 game season plus finals.

Below this "premier competition" you would then have your A grade competition which would include your usual clubs. The 9 in first grade now plus Joondalup. Teams like Joondalup and Wanneroo would now be more competitive because the elite players will have been taken out of Nedlands, Cott etc to play in the premier comp.

Then you have second grade with the above 10 clubs plus Curtin and Arks and then it goes from there.

Obviously established clubs would be opposed to it but I think it has potential.

Red Carded
    vCash
    Hansie
    This has also been a shit season for championship grade the comp should have been split when all the stronger clubs started to show through and the likes of swan suburbs kwinana and southern lions should have dropped downa grade
    We struggle for players to travel when we play these seeker teams
    I no you are one of the faceless men who shows his face but it would be better if you hid

vCash
    Shit that's a good idea Buddha, somebody should pay the bloke who first suggested it.

(I thought 4 "premier" teams would make for a better standard, but apart from that and some geography the idea is the same) the cynic in me is thinking that maybe RugbyWA liked the idea but realized that existing club loyalties would make it impossible to implement and decided to kill the current comp off first.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post

So the premier comp could consist of say 6 "new" teams each with their own catchment area:
    5) Perth/Wests
    I just heard a huge scream from the Northern Suburbs, are we going to rotate presidents as well - God Help us

Red Carded
    vCash

Should the six Chardonnay clubs combine to form three clubs

It's time the six Chardonnay clubs held hands for the future of wa rugby . Sentimental value is over if the rugby community want to save wa rugby from the lurking giant of rugby league . The scrabbling amongst the faceless men and there non productive solutions are letting warl swarm on to our junior club players , as the path way to premier rugby is getting is getting chocked by the decisions of the faceless men running our sport for there own egos bringing us back to the old ways of the IRB . Thing about gents in your tweed jackets . I'm Darren HInch

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenmile View Post
    Hansie
    This has also been a shit season for championship grade the comp should have been split when all the stronger clubs started to show through and the likes of swan suburbs kwinana and southern lions should have dropped downa grade
    We struggle for players to travel when we play these seeker teams
    I no you are one of the faceless men who shows his face but it would be better if you hid
    a faceless man who shows his face
    deadset
    that will do me

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by brokendown gunfighter; 24-06-14 at 19:23.

Senior Player
    vCash
    They could also implement an FA cup type knockout competition. 16 teams with games played over 4 weeks during the middle of the season, maybe on a Wednesday night or something like that. Clubs would enter a team as strong as they wanted but it would give clubs like Curtin, rocky, arks a chance to upset the big guns.

16 teams, the nine in premier grade plus Joondalup, rocky, arks, Curtin, southern lions, Mandurah and kwinana/bunbury/swan can play off for the final spot.

Prob something to consider in the future once the main comp is fixed.

vCash
    Didn't RugbyWA try that last year but the Premier clubs could only pick players from 3rd - 5th grade?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenmile View Post
    Hansie
    Exactly.

Clubs like Swan Suburbs and Kwinana should never have been put in the same division as Nedlands 3rd grade. There is a massive gulf in standard. RWA would have known that from the start of the season. Why they persisted with it, I have no idea. Perhaps they think 100 point floggings are part and parcel of the game, but all it leads to is players leaving their club in droves and the inevitable forfeits.

Last edited by zed; 25-06-14 at 09:31.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post

if you ask the Championship clubs if this season has been Sh&t, the general answer is No.
    Did you speak to a 'representative' of the Championship club or actually travel down to the various clubs and chat to the players en masse?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast