PINDAN PREMIER GRADE PREVIEW: ROUND 12

WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Thursday, 19 June 2014

Saturday, 21 June, 2014
    Kick-off times:
    First Grade: 3.30pm
    Reserve Grade: 1.50pm
    Good Life Under 19: 12.30pm

Click here to see the Tries of the Week from Round 11 of the Pindan Premier Grade

Match of the Round: Nedlands (2) v UWA (5) at the Foreshore, Nedlands
    Last time they met: Nedlands 41 defeated UWA 20 at McGillivray Oval, Mt Claremont

Nedlands and UWA will contest the Michael Denton Trophy on Saturday when the students travel to the Foreshore in the Pindan Premier Grade Match of the Round.

The trophy remembers Mike Denton, a Nedlands and Force A representative, who died from methanol poisoning during the International 10’s tournament in Bali in 2011.

Nedlands are flying high after ending Cottesloe’s unbeaten run last weekend (43-24) which has given them a share of top place on the ladder – with a narrow points difference separating them and the Gulls.

Meanwhile, UWA had a narrow 36-29 loss to Associates last week which allowed Soaks to leapfrog the University club into the competition’s top four.

Nedlands coach Gus Martyn says his side is determined to retain the Mike Denton Trophy with a win on Saturday.

“We took a lot of confidence out of last week’s win over Cottesloe, beating the unbeaten top team,” he said. “In saying that, I think we’ve still got a lot of room for improvement.

“We know UWA will fight hard – they’re a fit and mobile side that’s fighting for a top four spot. They’ll come at us very hard and we’re expecting a very tough game.”

UWA coach Steve McFarland says his side is looking forward to the challenge of playing three top four sides in the next four weeks.

“It’s such a congested competition this season, particularly from third down to Perth Bayswater in eighth, and so any win is a good win this year,” he said.

“This is an important patch for us and there are no easy games in the competition this year as results have shown.

“We’re looking forward to this weekend’s match; Neddies are always a good side to play and are a perennial benchmark in the competition which is a good challenge for us.”

Experienced No.8 Cian O’Connor returns for the students while James Wilson replaces Joel Rapana in the centres.

Nedlands have also been boosted by the return of their premiership-winning captain Mason Pomare in the front row.

Nedlands: 1. Lei Aholelie, 2. Mason Pomare, 3. Travis Church, 4. Tyler Edwards, 5. Scott Stevens, 6. Jandre van der Westhuizen, 7. Shane Hemi, 8. Richard Nailer, 9. Michael Ruru, 10. Dylan Loversidge, 11. Kauri Cudd, 12. Ryan McLeod, 13. Davis Tavita, 14. Alvin Lau Lau, 15. Ben Titoko
    UWA: 1. Nevin Mills, 2. Jason Vassilly, 3. Steve Miller, 4.Oscar Backhouse, 5. Tim Carlsaw, 6. Corey Thomas, 7. Richard Hardwick, 8. Cian O’Connor, 9. Ethan Carlisle, 10. Chris Setu, 11. Michael Lees, 12. Ben Taylor, 13. James Wilson, 14. Steve Chetovich, 15. Christian Joubert
    Referee: Patrick Davis

Cottesloe (1) v Associates (4) at Harvey Field, Cottesloe
    Last time they met: Cottesloe 32 defeated Associates 20 at Allen Park, Swanbourne

Cottesloe will be determined to return to the winners’ list when they host the return leg of ‘The Battle of Broome St’ against Associates on Saturday.

The Gulls’ impressive nine-match winning streak came to an end against Nedlands last weekend, 43-24, and they’ll be keen to repeat the Round Three 32-20 result over their beachside neighbours.

Following a slow start to the season, Associates have climbed their way up the Pindan Premier Grade ladder and into the top four.

Soaks will again be guided by their Force halves combination of Justin Turner and Zack Holmes, while Jack Denning has also been included in the centres.

Cottesloe’s cause has been aided by the return of Western Force representatives Robbie Abel and Ryan Hodson, while Adrian Hall replaces Rory Crowhen at No.8. The Gulls have also moved around their backline, which has allowed for Mark Tuaati to move in from the wing into the centres.

Cottesloe: 1. Shaun Nankervis, 2. Robbie Abel, 3. Kaisa Reidy, 4. Tim Ryan 5. Kieran Stringer, 6. Nick Haining, 7. Ryan Hodson, 8. Adrian Hall, 9. Charl Nieuwenhuis, 10. Sam Heinemann, 11. Nili Afeaki, 12. AJ Abel, 13. Mark Tuaati, 14. Ali Haining, 15. Pate Ratubuli
    Associates: 1. Arnauld Paradis-Hiare, 2. Esteban Bustillo, 3. Lachlan Stewart, 4. Lachlan Valentine, 5. Oliver Walker, 6. Alex Rovira, 7. Michael Hardwick, 8. Woulter van der Merwe, 9. Justin Turner, 10. Zack Holmes, 11. Robbie Ingram, 12. Jack Denning, 13. Ammon Matuauto, 14. Dylan Sage, 15. Paul Howe
    Referee: Liam O’Shea

Kalamunda (3) v Perth Bayswater (8) at Hartfield Park, Forrestfield
    Last time they met: Kalamunda 24 defeated Perth Bayswater 22 at Pat O’Hara Reserve, Morley

Kalamunda returns from their bye to face a dangerous Perth-Bayswater outfit at Forrestfield.

Despite their lowly ranking, ‘Baysie’ enters the match on the back of a 14-all draw with Nedlands, a last-minute loss to Cottesloe and a 79-17 pummelling of Wanneroo last weekend.

Little separated the two sides in their last encounter, with Kalamunda edging out the home side, despite two tries to Perth Bayswater winger Zubayr Abrahams.

Kalamunda remains unchanged from the side that defeated Wanneroo, 78-17, in their last outing a fortnight ago, while Jackson Condren replaces Curtis McLean at scrumhalf for Perth Bayswater, with Benjamin Keenan and Dylan Timu swapping at outside centre and fullback.

Kalamunda: 1. Rangikino Paul, 2. Mark Royal, 3. Faamasino Sala, 4. Josh Katene, 5. Nikau Rangiwhetu, 6. Matthew Dessauvagie, 7. Auega Seumanutafa, 8. Tala Moli, 9. Ryan Black, 10. Benjamin Saletele, 11. Faamanatu Apineru, 12. David Kara, 13. John Tuitavaki, 14. Rhys Jones, 15. Kane Allen
    Perth Bayswater: 1. Laione Mulikhaamea, 2. Adam Grant, 3. Chris Kidd, 4. Jock Stanley, 5. Adam Ross (c), 6.Jason Neal, 7. Joel Winterburn, 8.Brent Murphy, 9. Jackson Condren, 10. Wynston Cameron-Dow, 11. Kolia Konelio, 12. Maulaga Konelia, 13. Benjamin Keenan, 14. Wayne Thompson, 15. Dylan Timu
    Referee: Alex Ninkov

Palmyra (7) v Wanneroo (9) at Tompkins Park, Alfred Cove
    Last time they met: Palmyra 50 defeated Wanneroo 3 at Kingsway Reserve, Landsdale

It’s Ladies Day at Alfred Cove on Saturday and Palmyra will be looking to maintain touch with the competition’s top four to keep their finals aspirations alive.

Palmyra started the season with a bang but have only registered one win from their past six matches – the victory coming from last weekend’s 13-3 win over Wests Scarborough.

Despite this, Pally sits just six points outside of the top four and could throw themselves right back into the mix with a win on Saturday.

Wanneroo is still hunting for their first win of an injury-ravaged season. While the Roo Dogs have managed 34 points in their past two outings, they will need to tighten up their defence (currently averaging 54 points per match) in order to overcome Palmyra.

Palmyra: 1. Jimmy Tioke, 2. Shane Manu, 3. Salesi Manu, 4. Jarrod Menary, 5. Michael McMillan, 6. David McGuigan, 7. Gavin Armstrong, 8. Dylan Cunningham, 9. Brad Fell, 10. Sam Jurisich, 11. Tutere Waenga, 12. Vincent Booiman, 13. Hayden Baird, 14. Va’a Mailei, 15. Jonny Alston
    Wanneroo: 1. Andre Roux, 2. Scott Cornell, 3. Justin Smith, 4. Alexander Winter, 5. Brian Khaemba 6. Michael Villanova, 7. Kyle Seear, 8. Ben Stimson, 9. Devin Hendry, 10. Ceri Cummings, 11. James Bingham, 12. Tane Puki, 13. Andrew King, 14. Adrian Enright, 15. Liam Ranford
    Referee: Graham Cooper

BYE: Wests Scarborough

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    We have been advised that this is the youngest appointed premier grade referee group in WA History, and possibly ARU history (for Premier grade games).

Coops is 25
    Alex 21
    Liam 20
    Patrick 19

Well done to these refs, and to the Refs association for developing a quality group of referees so early.

Even better is the Youngest has the game of the round, and fully deserves it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    WARURA Referee
    I do it because I love the game.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyRef View Post
    We have been advised that this is the youngest appointed premier grade referee group in WA History, and possibly ARU history (for Premier grade games).

Coops is 25
    Alex 21
    Liam 20
    Patrick 19
    I think that's a fantastic acheivement given the 'old refs' I had to put up with when I played...a sign of the times. If you're good enough, you're old enough...

Champion
    vCash
    I said to Anthony at Wests a couple of weeks back, the group of refs running around the grounds this year is hugely encouraging, I sincerely hope they maintain that motivation. My biggest hope is that community spectators and contestants provide quality constructive engagement and encouragement.

May I ask 2 things: 1. Is this as a result of the initiative started a few seasons back for each club to send a club member to ref training?
    2. Can we have some consistency of the advantage being played - free kick ad. vs penalty ad?

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    2. Can we have some consistency of the advantage being played - free kick ad. vs penalty ad?
    pretty sure you can't...

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    pretty sure you can't...
    Nice

Hansie, re consistency between FK and PK advantage - what is it you believe should happen or is happening e.g. please ?

I don't believe the law differentiates between PK and FK - only practical differentiation is between scrum and PK.

As a ref, I'd generally call FK advantage over quicker (similar to scrum) as unlike a PK there is not the option to gain ground and retain possession with a kick to touch.

You most often see this at lineouts, with early jumps or 'numbers'. If the ball is won cleanly and the non-offending team has the opportunity to play away with decent possession, then adv over play on.

vCash
    Very few FK advantages ever played, I believe Sprog has identified the only one.

I reckon I'd have less than 5 a season.

WARURA Referee

vCash
    Damn wippersnappers!

I have officially shelved my comeback plans for Premier reffing. Sprog, RR: you should similarly consider, given advanced age and no other criteria (heck; we all know we're still capable enough! )

vCash
    Paly got dis!

Champion
    vCash
    Sprog and RR I understand, however without being specific I would imagine a PK advantage in the Red Zone - say for not releasing ball carrier or playing ball off your feet - essentially to slow the play down while in defence vs a knock on midfield. I am just saying at a couple of matches I just seemed to notice the advantage played was pretty much the same, a couple of phases with ball in hand and then it's over.

I have often advocated a Pk offence in the Red Zone should result in a yellow. This will open up the game and make it faster and a lot more exciting.

vCash
    Hansie,

Cynical offending in the red zone often results in a yellow, and no warning need be given.

One of the issues to gaining consistency with advantage is the way the law defines it to be over, which is either territorially or tactically.

So where and advantage is given, and the ball passed wide to where the non offending team has a 2 man overlap, the advantage is over because it has tactically been achieved. The fact that the winger drops it 1 second after I call the advantage over is a little embarrassing for all, and is where it looks like no advantage was ever gained.

If it were only based on territory, I suspect there would be less issue.

We don't write it, we just apply it.

WARURA Referee