Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Australia v France 3rd Test - TEAM ANNOUNCEMENT

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Australia v France 3rd Test - TEAM ANNOUNCEMENT

WILL SKELTON TO DEBUT FOR QANTAS WALLABIES AGAINST FRANCE

NSW Waratahs enforcer Will Skelton will make his Test debut for the Qantas Wallabies as they target a clean sweep of the French in the final match of the 2014 Castrol EDGE France Tour at Allianz Stadium on Saturday afternoon (kickoff 3:00pm).

With Australia entering the match with an insurmountable 2-0 series lead, coach Ewen McKenzie has opted to give the 203cm, 140kg lock an opportunity in the starting side in his home State.

His inclusion represents one of the two changes made to the starting XV, with Skelton’s Waratahs teammate Wycliff Palu returning at No.8 after missing the second Test in Melbourne with a minor ankle injury.

There have been two further changes made on the bench with ACT Brumbies prop Scott Sio and Waratahs outside back Rob Horne getting their first opportunities in the match day squad for 2014.

Horne comes in for Pat McCabe, who has suffered a nerve compression injury to his shoulder, making him unavailable for selection this week.

McKenzie said he was looking forward to seeing what impact Skelton would bring to the match.

“During the series we’ve already benefited from giving two other locks, Sam Carter and Luke Jones, their first opportunities for Australia. The experience they gained will prove invaluable in the long-run and now it’s Will’s turn to show us what he has got,” McKenzie said.

“I’ve been really impressed with his attitude and the contribution he’s made to this team since the beginning of the series. He’s obviously got impressive metrics but he also has a big motor and is particularly skillful, so we’re looking forward to seeing how he will impose himself on the game.

“He’s worked really hard over the past 12 months at the Waratahs on improving his match conditioning and we believe he is ready for the step-up to Test Rugby.”

Saturday’s victory over France was Australia’s sixth consecutive win, a feat last achieved by a Qantas Wallabies team in 2005.

McKenzie said it would be important for his side to maintain consistency as they target seven straight wins, a milestone last achieved in 1999/2000.

“During this stretch we’ve spoken a lot about ensuring we are meticulous with our preparation so that we put ourselves in the best possible position to play at a high level every week,” he said.

“You’re always working towards that complete game where you find the balance between your intentions in attack and an impenetrable defence, and it has been pleasing to see the squad highlight those characteristics at different points across the past six games.

“Our desire is to always play an up-tempo brand of Rugby and we’ve now scored 23 tries in the past six games, an average of almost four a game.

“Our defence has also been steadily improving with each match, culminating with a shut-out of the French in our most recent match in Melbourne.

“The challenge and what we are always aiming for is to put both together and that will be our goal when we return to afternoon Rugby in Sydney on Saturday.”

Melbourne Rebels lock Luke Jones has been nominated as the team’s 24th-man.

Tickets are available for the final Castrol EDGE France Tour Test from $49 via Ticketek (www.ticketek.com.au or 132 849).

Fans will have the opportunity to meet members of the Qantas Wallabies, Classic Wallabies, Men’s and Women’s Sevens players at the Sydney Cricket Ground before Saturday’s Test against France between 12pm-2pm.

Fans can also take part in Rugby skill sessions, try out the horizontal Rugby bungee, practice kicking with a new simulator and grab a BBQ lunch.

The official Qantas Wallabies mascot, Wally, will also be there and his helpers will be handing out plenty of giveaways for kids. There will be a chance to win tickets to the Sydney Bledisloe Cup Test in August through Fan Day Trivia.

The Qantas Wallabies side to play France in the third Castrol EDGE France Tour Test for the Trophée des Bicentenaires at Allianz Stadium on Saturday 21 June is:

1. James Slipper (vc - Queensland Reds - 51 caps)
    2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs – 48 caps)
    3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs - 40 caps)
    4. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds - 39 caps)
    5. Will Skelton (NSW Waratahs – uncapped)*
    6. Scott Fardy (ACT Brumbies - 12 caps)
    7. Michael Hooper (c - NSW Waratahs - 30 caps)
    8. Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs – 50 caps)

9. Nic White (ACT Brumbies - 12 caps)
    10. Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs - 6 caps)
    11. Nick Cummins (Western Force - 14 caps)
    12. Matt Toomua (ACT Brumbies - 12 caps)
    13. Tevita Kuridrani (ACT Brumbies - 10 caps)
    14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (vc - NSW Waratahs - 93 caps)
    15. Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs - 17 caps)

16. Nathan Charles (Western Force – 1 cap)
    17. Scott Sio (ACT Brumbies – 4 caps)
    18. Laurie Weeks (Melbourne Rebels – 1 cap)
    19. James Horwill (Queensland Reds – 50 caps)
    20. Ben McCalman (Western Force - 31 caps)
    21. Nick Phipps (NSW Waratahs – 16 caps)
    22. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs - 41 caps)
    23. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs - 15 caps)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 17-06-14 at 10:39.

vCash
    Sad for Pek and Hodgo, BUT it does mean they'll be fresh and firing for our finals tilt :-)))

Benny Mac deserves the No. 8 jersey after his performance last weekend, but the ARU must bow to the almighty NSWRU now that Palu is fit again ;-p

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Sad for Pek and Hodgo, BUT it does mean they'll be fresh and firing for our finals tilt :-)))

Benny Mac deserves the No. 8 jersey after his performance last weekend, but the ARU must bow to the almighty NSWRU now that Palu is fit again ;-p
    To be fair Palu has had a great season. But I reckon McCalman has at least equaled him, but Palu has the bigger frame and is the incumbent. I just hope he doesn't do his usual MIA when the AB's matches come around. If I were choosing the team to face them, I'd start Ben. You know he'll always deliver.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Would love to have seen hodgo out there but with hooper as captain it just ain't going to happen. I like what ewen is doing however look at how many players has he successfully blooded since taking over last year? We need depth and now you can start to see that happening especially when exposing the new guys to a winning team. The yard stick is still the all blacks and later in the year England at twickenham given the pool for the World Cup.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Will Skelton: this should be fun.

vCash
    Yeah I know you're right Shasta - Palu has been good this season. But I really think that Benny played a great game last weekend and deserved to start this week too, with Palu on the bench - not the other way round!! It pees me off to see hard-working, successful, in-form players being relegated because 'A. N. Other' is a bigger name or has a supposedly better reputation "at this top level".

I genuinely believe that if Benny Mac was a Tah, he'd be considered the best thing since sliced bread given his performances this season. Ditto for Hodgo, though I agree Hooper is very stiff competition and much younger.

vCash
    Hoopers not a 7
    he's shit at the breakdown
    yes he's fast and he can run but in all seriousness he should be playing 13 not 7.

vCash
    When Pocock comes back, Hooper to 13 could well be a solution MI5!!!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    When Pocock comes back, Hooper to 13 could well be a solution MI5!!!
    I thought the older you got the lower the number on the back not the other way round.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Prospect
    vCash
    Glad I am not trying to lift Skelton in the lineout but he should go ok

vCash
    Hooper's only just out of nappies though SGR! Well young enough to play 13!! Lol :-D

vCash
    Still hard to believe he's only 22! Seeing as I'm 24 and my brother is 21

vCash
    I reckon this will make Hodgo even hungrier - I have a sit load of respect for that man and I reckon not only will he continue to play out of his skin for the next three, but so should his mates

#even more motivation

vCash
    Ageee Mac
    I have this photo of Hodgo & Sir Nathan standing all on their own on Eden Park before the start of the Semi against the ABs.at RWC (2011) they were both missed for that game & Hodgo will be for this! IM veryHO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    I thought the older you got the lower the number on the back not the other way round.
    I thought the proportionality was direct with average running speed and inverse to weight.

C'mon the

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast