Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cam Treloar: an open letter to Australian rugby

vCash

Cam Treloar: an open letter to Australian rugby

Dear Aussie Rugby “Supporters”, Administrators and Media,

I write you this open letter with desperation but hope.

Supporters, I don’t, as a supporter, we don’t, as professional players, understand. We don’t know what you want you want. Last week, the Wallabies turned it on, 7 tries, speed, power and precision. It was an impressive display of the national team wearing gold, yet where were you? Little more than the 30,000 turned out to watch the game in a 50,000 seat stadium. Perhaps you’re all frustrated by years past without meaningful trophies, but that should more reason to be turn up, not less.

Supporters, last week the scrum won, the backline won, The Wallabies won and won well. What do you need? Ok, the second game vs France was played in Melbourne, hardly a traditional stronghold in Australian Rugby but 27.000 (allegedly) in a stadium that holds 53,000 is either poor foresight by the head office or poor support. I wish it was only poor foresight deciding to play in front of a half empty stadium; it would be easily fixed with a broom, but it’s more than that.

Supporters, I don’t, as a supporter nor as a professional player know why you want what you want? If it is only entertainment you want, go to the movies. If it is perfect choreography you want, go to the ballet. But if you want see our Australian 15, the best we have, against the 15 best other countries have then get off the couch and get to a game. Use your voices. I promise you it’s a better experience than reading live tweets of the match. We are blessed with good weather in Australia, get out in it.

Australian “Supporters,” we have to shoulder the blame. After 7 years in European Rugby, I have discovered what support should be of a team should be, undivided and unwavering. My team never finished higher than 8th but we filled our 33,000 seat stadium in the middle of winter. Why? We in Sydney seem to hate to travel to Homebush, Moore Park, Rat Park or the corner park as there is too much traffic it’s, too far, there’s no parking, too many people, too few people; terrible coffee or it’s on Foxtel.

The difference between Australia and France was never clearer to me than when watching the semi final of the Top 14. Montpellier v Castres in Lille drew 49.000 people to a Stadium that was 8 hours from Castres and almost 9 hours from Montpellier. The very next day Toulon (9 hours) and Paris Racing (2.20 hours) drew the same number. Travelling times and costs far outweigh anything we are faced with in a capital city in Australia, yet as the saying goes, “where the bloody hell are we?”

Both French semi finals put together drew just under 100,000 people yet there were a total of two tries. The word “entertainment” wouldn’t dare to be mentioned, as it would render the effort of the 46 professional players meaningless and ake the losing supporter’s tears only as meaningless as those that accompany the movie, The Notebook. I’d never cry (twice) over such tripe.

If a game feels flat in Australia, it’s because you the supporters in your token scarves and apathy, let it become so. You stopped caring about what our team did and you started worrying more about how they did it.

Read more: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/ope...tralian-rugby/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gagr View Post
    No.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Well that should sort things out, eh.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    The argument about crowd numbers is far too simplistic. People only have a finite amount of money to spend and given the choice of either spending it on going to a 'friendly' against France or a Bled/RC game just a couple of months later, I'm sure most would choose the latter. And then there's the SoO this month too, tickets for which at Suncorp were twice the cost of the Wallaby game! Also, the population of France is three times that of Aus so the comparison is hardly fair there either.

I don't know who Cam Treloar is but I hope he doesn't write any more open letters!

Last edited by Alison; 16-06-14 at 21:52.

vCash
    The cost of tickets is too much, and it's on Foxtel**, which is also not that cheap either. A cheap ticket is $49?! Think of the old idea of "dad taking the boys going to the footy" then that's $150 worth for the shittiest of shitty seats (if it's dad and two sons). I shudder to think of the cost plus the food at the ground, and parking of course, if you have to drive there. Maybe you don't wanna take your kids on a Perth/Sydney/Brisbane train from the outer suburbs at night etc...

And he's got to remember something very important, which those involved in the European game tend to forget, even a boring game of rugby has more action per every 10 seconds than a game of soccer. They fail to grasp, that when they amend refereeing directives to make the game more of a war of attrition, more of a struggle, it might still have more hits and tackles and displays of toughness and aggression than soccer, and the European rugby fans may lap it up and laud it as being a better sport, but it won't stack up in a competitive market against other action-packed physically robust games like AFL and rugby league; especially if the game looks like a mess of skill-less stodge. Most rugby fans in Australia love the game because of it's combination of expression/spontaneity and it's fascinating tactical structures/nuances. If we wanted unstructured fumbling over a ball, we'd watch AFL and soccer. If we wanted repetitive hit-ups, we'd watch rugby league. If we wanted lots of immobile close-quarter attrition, we'd watch amateur wrestling.

I agree with his point on the use of smaller grounds. I can't for the life of me figure out why we played Argentina at Subiaco Oval, even without the bad weather, there was never going to be a bumper crowd. But I also don't understand the lack of advertising or merchandising in mainstream areas. I know there's supposedly a lack of funds around, but rugby's becoming something that has shifted out of the Australian sports public's sight.

PS I am a soccer fan, but I am objective about the sport, as I am about rugby. There have been some great opening matches at this year's world cup.

** Bear in mind too, that most rugby and soccer fans, unlike AFL fans, subscribe to Foxtel, in order to watch Super Rugby and the test season, or to watch the FA Premier League, La Liga and the Champions League. These subscribers feel they are paying for a service and are happy to stay home and get their money's worth. I think it's incorrect for Mr Treloar to dismiss that financial contribution, as though it's a case of "just because it's on the telly, won't turn up." Furthermore it's unfair to imply that by not buying a ticket they are not contributing, when they have already paid to be able to watch it.

Last edited by chibi; 16-06-14 at 21:59.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Player
    vCash
    Something that the ARU needs to jump onto is, that Australians over seas wear a Wallabies jumper when out in public and being patriotic. There aren't cricket, soccer, NRL or footy shirts, as they want to be identified as Australian. That pride in the jumper needs to be recaptured or reminded.

Look around you when at the beach or out in public here in Perth. Look out for Force gear, there is a lot out there and that's growing.
    It's pride of brand.
    Regrow rugby union as 'the pride in the country' sport, the brand of men, the sport where the world, university, exploration and adventure are the base values.
    Then there wouldn't be an issue of games being low scoring as they would understand that it's battle, it's going to war, it's not a media orientated, frivolous 80mins of another game.
    Stadiums would be full and ticket prices could be brought down so families could attend the games live and the next generation become rugby union people.
    The latest golden thread ad is a good start.
    Ask mums the question:
    What type of man do you want your boy to become?
    And make sure the Wallabies uphold that.

vCash
    "physically robust games like AFL" come on Chibi! Aerobic maybe but physical?
    IMO here in Perth the problem is the Stadium. I have been to every international held at Subi for 11 years but last years Lions game was it! Pay for Gold and get put on the try line was a joke! Please don't tell me that it's Subi's fault if the ARU haven't the balls to tell the company they are renting the field from what they expect for their customers " what do they expect!".

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    And that won't improve with the new trillion billion dollar new stadium either SNOB. I guess even more tickets there will go to sponsors and corporate hospitality etc etc so we'll be even more likely to be relegated to the two ends :-((

vCash
    I won't pay to watch at Subi, excepting the odd ZA Test. We would, and have, rather put the money towards flying east for matches. Even Wales at Etihad was worth it, not ideal, but streets ahead of Subi. I really think the ARU needs to consider playing less attratctve Tests at AAMI and NIB.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I bet a Test match at the new Adelaide Oval would draw a good crowd, both Queensland and Melbourne should be "passed on" and give others a go and see how what they can do, and yes, same goes for Subi if it fails again. Like all things, keep doing the same things you have done and you will keep getting the results you have got!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I won't pay to watch at Subi, excepting the odd ZA Test. We would, and have, rather put the money towards flying east for matches. Even Wales at Etihad was worth it, not ideal, but streets ahead of Subi. I really think the ARU needs to consider playing less attratctve Tests at AAMI and NIB.
    I totally agree the Argie game at NIB would have been much better for the fans, sponsors and players! For goodness sake drop spewbi for anything rugby!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    I totally agree the Argie game at NIB would have been much better for sponsors
    I strongly disagree. NIB does not have the dining rooms and glass boxes Paterson has... and a VERY large percentage of people who sit in those glass boxes wearing suits dont give a flying fig about viewing the game, its just a free meal ticket.
    Theres no way in a fit they would move an international to NIB without a major overhaul of the main grandstand.

vCash
    the thing that astounds me, is that Perth has a large South African populous (or atleast in my perceptions) and geographically, an SA game would just make sense!?
    we'll get 15,000 to an Argies game, but easily double that to an SA game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I bet a Test match at the new Adelaide Oval would draw a good crowd, both Queensland and Melbourne should be "passed on" and give others a go and see how what they can do, and yes, same goes for Subi if it fails again. Like all things, keep doing the same things you have done and you will keep getting the results you have got!
    Queensland? That's one place that does get relatively good crowds...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BOOG View Post
    the thing that astounds me, is that Perth has a large South African populous (or atleast in my perceptions) and geographically, an SA game would just make sense!?
    we'll get 15,000 to an Argies game, but easily double that to an SA game.
    Aren't the Boks coming here this September??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast