Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm Glad To Be No Longer Involved

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

I'm Glad To Be No Longer Involved

I haven't been down to watch Palmyra much lately, I was overseas from late March until May, and since then only managed to catch a game three or four weeks ago.

That was until yesterday when I went to see the game against UWA. I couldn't help but notice the hardening in attitude amongst the club hierarchy. A lot of dark mutterings about how the competition formula has destroyed club bar takings and split the club, and other things I didn't know about (or care about for that matter).

I suppose that's what you get when a club loses a number of games in a row, and has no hope of qualifying for the finals ...

But I suspect there is something more to it than that. There was a lot of whinging about the standard of referring over the last two games, and some pointed remarks at the manner in which RugbyWA interfered with the club's chances in recent finals series and their failure to cooperate with the club in securing the services of a key positional player when they had every opportunity to do so.

Far more serious than the griping however, was the proposal put to me by senior members of the club that it was exploring the possibility of returning to League next season.

Among the reasons given, spurious or otherwise, were that:

Rugby League was run more fairly and less capriciously, with a defined and immutable rule structure

There were greater possibilities for financial returns in the League competition, which was expanding, whereas Union was contracting

The new leasing arrangements with Melville Council make it clear that the facility at Tompkins park has to be conducted more inclusively, and that includes the introduction of League

Greater scope for sponsorship within the expanded League structure which is growing in numbers and exposure, particularly in view of the introduction of a WA team in the National competition in a few years whereas Rugby has lost popularity in WA for numerous reasons. There is also some talk that the club's facilities could be offered as a high profile training venue for the new outfit

The manner in which Rockingham was treated, and the way Wanneroo is being treated and earmarked and pushed towards destruction (a mentality of "who's next, anyway it's better to leave while the club is one of the biggest and strongest than be pushed when it's down")

A Tin Foil Hat mentality at the club, reasonably held or otherwise, as a result of recent decisions and attitudes demonstrated by RugbyWA towards it

Another sign has been the recent cosying up with the League Junior competition here and in the East which I heard about on Saturday, and something about Palmyra hosting the NSW under 16's League state team last week.

Personally, I hope it's just talk arising out of disappointment and anger. Whilst I backed away from club rugby considerably after the egregious goings on over recent years, an abandonment of the code by the club would see me withdraw completely, and I can't see myself supporting any other club.

Call me tribal if you will.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    deadset gee up

Player
    vCash
    I am mystified by Palmyra's results this season. I have watched them play a few times and they always play great rugby but end up on the wrong side of the score sheet each time.

Rookie
    vCash
    Whats with Paly playing fresh reserves for first grade each week ? playing these players might help the cause a bit

they have some of the most promising colts players going around and some excellant 17's , they are one of the largest junior clubs and are growing every year .

it aint broken there believe me . Plenty of people around on saturday compared to some clubs i have been at and the bar seemed busy enough .

don't who you were speaking to Fulvio but they must have had a few !

League have south perth and fremantle either side of paly so it would be death on a stick for Paly if they moved around and players would flock to cott or southern lions or Curtin for that matter

If they can get through a few more younger players into a first grade outfit next season i reckon they will go close . Their second grade is well coached and seem tight and will be there finals time .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political BS View Post
    I am mystified
    have at second hand tin foil hat for sale. HTH.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    I haven't been down to watch Palmyra much lately, I was overseas from late March until May, and since then only managed to catch a game three or four weeks ago.

That was until yesterday when I went to see the game against UWA. I couldn't help but notice the hardening in attitude amongst the club hierarchy. A lot of dark mutterings about how the competition formula has destroyed club bar takings and split the club, and other things I didn't know about (or care about for that matter).
    Next club meeting will sort that out
    I suppose that's what you get when a club loses a number of games in a row, and has no hope of qualifying for the finals ...
    No, that's everyone
    But I suspect there is something more to it than that. There was a lot of whinging about the standard of referring over the last two games, and some pointed remarks at the manner in which RugbyWA interfered with the club's chances in recent finals series and their failure to cooperate with the club in securing the services of a key positional player when they had every opportunity to do so.
    WHAT, you were gonna just fire someone in come finals time

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Rookie
    vCash
    Funny post Fulvio

I was under the impression that the NRL had told WA they were not getting a team.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Just repeating what I heard ...

vCash
    About the NRL coming to WA .. The commentators at Saturday night's game on fox were pertty certian WA was getting a team in the next few seasons... They said support seams to be mounting and the fans are talking with their feet and coming to the games...

I do hope for rectanglar sports WA does get a team so we can put it up the AFL and if it is true what I read on Yahoo over the weekend that tax payers will have to support the few Vic teams going broke I hope we get a say on that as I wont be paying taxes if that happens

vCash
    The current NRL tv rights deal was supposed to give the current clubs a chance to sort their finances out before new teams potentially come in at the end of the deal (2017 I think).

The NRL has a group looking at expansion of the NRL starting at the end of 2014.

vCash
    I just noticed this to back my previous post

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...s-nrl-chances/

vCash
    The average crowd for the Mungos would come in around the 15,000 mark I'd reckon. Saturday's 20,000 was attributable to the Bros being in town. It will be interesting to see how a new Mungo franchise will perform when a crowd has to cough up for tickets every 2 weeks. Particularly if they have a similar run to The Force during the first 5-6 seasons. I reckon the NRLC will be too savvy to let them struggle though. They will take a similar tack to the AFL expansion strategy.

On a side note; had to laugh at the number of Kiwis at the Carbon on Saturday who were swapping from AB jerseys to Warriors gear after the Test. Seems the Warriors are making big inroads.

back to the fishing expedition.

Last edited by shasta; 10-06-14 at 09:14.
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The average crowd for the Mungos would come in around the 15,000 mark I'd reckon. Saturday's 20,000 was attributable to the Bros being in town.
    Crowd numbers at one-off NRL games can't be used as a yardstick for regular crowd attendances for any Perth NRL team. League was much bigger in WA in the 90s when the Reds were around and they were getting around 2000 people per game towards the end. I can't see it happening personally, unless a sh*tload of money became available and it was a team full of superstars.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    League was much bigger in WA in the 90s when the Reds were around and they were getting around 2000 people per game towards the end. I can't see it happening personally, unless a sh*tload of money became available and it was a team full of superstars.
    That would have a lot to do with the Super League War.

The game has finally thrown off the shackles of News Limited having a 50% controlling stake in the game and is on the front foot for the first time in 20 years.

vCash
    Can see their point, after the 2nd grade referee yellow carded two pally players with in a minute of each other, with the game in the balance at that stage, and a 11 - 2 penalty count in second half.
    They were playing league.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast