Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: State of Origin 2014

vCash
    Unexpected reprieve for Josh Reynolds, having his charge downgraded. Sensibly the second player in the was equally charged with a grade 1 dangerous throw.
    The Queenslanders will no doubt be blowing up in supernova proportions and this decision could stoke their sense of injustice fuelled hatred to white hot. Good.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    The downgrade in charge was as predicable as the sunrise. If it happened in a club game he would be sitting out a couple of weeks.

Look forward to reading the Queensland outrage

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    You might think my view could be a little biased. But I think it was about right in any circunstance. Reynoldes at no stage "lifted beyond horizontal". Rather the second man in tipped him downwards and was also judged to have made a dangerous throw.
    I said the Bromwitch boys should have shared blame in the McKinnon accident. The injury should not be taken into account, except for a driving or "spear" tackle where intent is obvious.
    Contact sport where accidents unfortunately happen.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Question for our resident league followers - how is the two referee system working out? Has the overall impact been positive or negative? (Serious question BTW as I don't watch the game at all).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Ah the one time of the year where half my friends are suddenly from Queensland.
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BOOG View Post
    fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    They certainly do crawl out of the woodwork at this time of year
    As someone originally from Qld I just have to say that I don't give a rats arse about State of Origin.

Sorry, couldn't resist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Question for our resident league followers - how is the two referee system working out?
    Needs some work. I think it could work better if the second on -field official was an "assistant" with defined tasks that are his area to adjudicate autonomus from the match referee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    But I think it was about right in any circunstance. Reynoldes at no stage "lifted beyond horizontal". Rather the second man in tipped him downwards and was also judged to have made a dangerous throw..
    Before the Alex McKinnon incident he probably would have copped a week or two for a dangerous throw but I thought he might have copped a few due to the crackdown on such tackles. Brent Tate coming out and doing his "I've never been more scared" routine was just trying to sell it to the judiciary in my books.

I said the Bromwitch boys should have shared blame in the McKinnon accident. The injury should not be taken into account, except for a driving or "spear" tackle where intent is obvious.
    Did the Bromwitch boys lidt in that tackle as I don't recall them doing the lifting.

The Judiciary made the dangerous precedent of factoring the injury suffered last year (I forget the actual case) and continued it this year after the McKinnon incident.

Contact sport where accidents unfortunately happen.
    Unfortunately that is the case

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Question for our resident league followers - how is the two referee system working out? Has the overall impact been positive or negative? (Serious question BTW as I don't watch the game at all).
    I'm with Shasta again. I think it needs work but I think it's a step in the right direction

vCash
    Needs some work. I think it could work better if the second on -field official was an "assistant" with defined tasks that are his area to adjudicate autonomus from the match referee.
    I had thought that was the case already. Must get pretty confusing if they are both looking at the same things?

When they first brought it in I wondered if it might be applicable to rugby, since the ref is being asked to keep an eye on too many things at once. The TMO could probably do it without the need for another on field official.

vCash
    One is now "senior" and can overrule. There was an incident on Wednesday where "6 again" call was reversed. Either let assistants make defined rulings or go back to 1.

vCash

Did the Bromwitch boys lidt in that tackle as I don't recall them doing the lifting.
    No but contributed to the tip similar to Beau Scott. But they were more culpable, as I believe are Melbourne's wrestling tactics. In that they had his arms pinned and that stopped him putting out an arm to lessen the impact.

vCash
    The Bromwitch lads weren't lifting in any capcity though, it wasn't until McLean came in and lifted his legs.

Agreed on the assessment of Melbourne's wrestling tactics, they are a blight on the game. It was just a terrible accident, which happen in contact sports like you said earlier.

vCash
    The Mungos are announcing today that Origin will return to the G next year. No advantage to either State. The Blues will simply host 2 matches in 2016. InnFORCEers Mungo tour to Melbourne anyone? Be great if we had match against the Rabble the same week or a June Test. We're definates in any event.

vCash
    That's not news as that was the announcement in late 2012 when the ARL/NRL announced the next 5 years worth of origin dates

vCash
    That's not news as that was the announcement in late 2012 when the ARL/NRL announced the next 5 years worth of origin dates
    Guess they musta forgot about that then.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-leag...602-zrvd1.html

"NRL officials plan to use State of Origin to grow the game in new markets around Australia and overseas, with Perth and even London possible venues after the new deal to play matches at the MCG in 2015 and 2018 expires.

After announcing after the last match in Melbourne in 2012 that an Origin would be played at a neutral venue every third season, the NRL confirmed on Monday that games would return to the Victorian capital next season and in 2018, but it now believes the matches have outgrown Etihad Stadium and its capacity of 53,000.

NRL director of commercial and marketing Paul Kind said he was confident of attracting crowds of more than 70,000 at the MCG and believed the game was now as strong as it had been when a crowd of 87,161 set what is still the State of Origin attendance record at the venue in 1994.

"I was involved with the game in 1994 ... and the game had momentum, it was being talked about, it presented itself well, and I look at it now and I think we are back in a situation where all of those things are lining up for us again," Kind said.

"Origin is just growing every year at the moment, it just seems to be building on its own momentum and to take it to another level is challenging. We have set ourselves a big goal and if we deliver a near-capacity MCG next year in game two that just takes Origin to another plain, which is just fantastic."

Under the NRL's Origin strategy, NSW gets two home games one year, Queensland has two the following year and they each host one match the third year with the other game to be played at a neutral venue."

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast