Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know who the player in question is?

Champion
    vCash

Anyone know who the player in question is?

Two Clyde-Earnscleugh administrators have been issued a two-year ban and the club has had points stripped after fielding an illegible player in a Central Otago premier game earlier this month.

The club has appealed the decision by the Otago Country Rugby board and a hearing will take place, conducted by an Otago Rugby Football Union-appointed panel.

The date of that hearing has not been decided.

Details are sketchy but it is believed the issue centres around the playing of a prop for the Clyde-Earnscleugh team in its match against Upper Clutha on May 1.

The prop played only half a game but was not a registered player, and had not played for the club before.

Clyde-Earnscleugh won the game 19-18 in Wanaka, played on a Thursday night so players could be free to go duck-shooting on the Saturday.

It is believed a complaint was made about the playing of the prop and the Clyde-Earnscleugh club was asked by the Otago Country board to explain.

A hearing took place last week and subsequently a letter was sent to the club informing it of the punishments.

It is believed manager Jim Page, a Clyde-Earnscleugh life member, and his assistant manager have been banned for two years.

Coach Corey Crosbie has been banned from coaching for three weeks and is not allowed to play for the rest of the 2014 season.

The club has been stripped of all its points for the first five rounds of the competition. It was sitting in the top four of the 12-team competition.

Otago Country chairman Geoff McPhee declined comment yesterday when contacted by the Otago Daily Times.

He said because the club had appealed the decision made by the board, any comment - including outlining the punishments - would affect the appeal hearing.

McPhee said it was disappointing the incident had occurred but declined to comment further.

ORFU general manager Richard Kinley also declined comment due to the matter being under appeal.

The appeal would be heard by an independent panel which had not yet been finalised, Kinley said.

The panel would be made up of people with a legal background. No date had been set for the hearing.

Information would be sought from the Clyde-Earnscleugh club and other parties at the hearing.

It is believed the club disputes the process of the hearing, the punishments handed out and the precedent set.

Clyde-Earnscleugh president Bill Ussher could not be contacted. The Clyde-Earnscleugh club celebrated its 125th anniversary last month.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Let me guess. Sam Wyks? Pek Cowan?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    No, but seriously (I do forgive you Westie, but being Calabrese, I don't forget), compare how a real Rugby Union deals with the playing of unregistered players with what will happen in respect of exactly the same type of incident in WA. Actually the WA incident is worse as RugbyWA specifically warned all clubs not to play the guy.

You haven't heard anything about it?

Just don't hold your breath waiting for any action at all to be taken.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Best bit is that they played on Thursday night so they could go duck shooting on Saturday, only in NZ!!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Do tell more Fulvio - or are you bound by the Code of Silence of The Honoured Society of the 'Ndrangheta

Rookie
    vCash
    Hang on… there are unregistered players in the WA comp?… Whats with the NZ Segway? Love a mystery...
    We need to know more about this, surely that can have insurance implications etc… Player safety… How is this not a bigger issue?
    Did the team in question win on the weekend?
    To the bat cave….
    Lets not be cryptic, its a discussion forum!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by That guy View Post
    Whats with the NZ Segway? Love a mystery...
    OK Segway is one of those two-wheeled thingys that TV cameramen scoot around on - no mystery! BTW they are made in New Hampshire not NZ

But I am curious about the segue between a Perth-based rugby fan site and some story about a foreign player whose name could not be read ......(well that's what illegible meant last time I looked)

Last edited by Timbo; 28-05-14 at 12:33. Reason: adding info
    'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I might get a cup of tea & watch this

vCash
    I see something sinister brewing here .... can't wait

I feel a great disturbance in the Force - as if millions of trolls suddenly cried out in terror and were silenced

vCash
    Also whats an illegible player? Is that one that no-one can understand or is his name too hard to spell?

I feel a great disturbance in the Force - as if millions of trolls suddenly cried out in terror and were silenced

Champion
    vCash
    Is there something going on I haven't heard about

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Saw what you did there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Do tell more Fulvio - or are you bound by the Code of Silence of The Honoured Society of the 'Ndrangheta
    Yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    I might get a cup of tea & watch this
    I'm sure someone from your club will read the leaves for you, Gunny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    Saw what you did there
    Yeah, he's a crafty bugger the old Westie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast