Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gut instinct tells Wilko it's time to go

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Gut instinct tells Wilko it's time to go

AFP
    May 20, 2014, 5:28 am

London (AFP) - Jonny Wilkinson said a "loud and pretty true gut feeling" had told him now was the right time to bring down the curtain on a brilliant career.

For a player renowned for his methodical preparation and attention to detail, it seemed strange that such an old-fashioned thing as 'gut instinct' should be the spark for the England fly-half great's announcement on Monday.

But the 2003 World Cup-winner, 35 this coming Sunday, said he'd been thinking of retiring for some time.

Now he has just two games left before he bows out of rugby union, with the outside-half trying to help Toulon retain the European Cup they won last season when they face Saracens in Saturday's final in Cardiff before their French Top 14 final clash with Castres on May 31.

"I have been thinking about it throughout the year, and now is the right time and right feeling," said Wilkinson, in a conference call from Toulon with British reporters on Monday.

"I also know that I want to get it completely out of the way so that we focus more than ever on these two games. It's a weight off my shoulders, to be honest.

"It has just been a gut feeling thing, and the gut feeling is loud and pretty true right now."

Wilkinson had long been tipped to retire at the end of this season but England's record points-scorer, still only second on the all-time list to New Zealand No 10 Dan Carter, said he still felt nervous in walking away from the only job he's known.

"There is a huge amount of fear for anybody who is going into an area to which they are not accustomed," explained Wilkinson, whose drop-goal won England the 2003 World Cup final.

"Having been playing rugby since the day I left school, and having never had a proper job, I think this leaves me a bit unprepared in terms of what comes next.

"But at the same time I am seeing that as a positive step next in which everyone has to make.

"Everyone thinks they can carry on forever, but it is becoming ever more apparent when you see the size of the guys running alongside you - and at you - that it is ultimately a younger man's sport and reserved for those that have their future ahead of them, and not mine."

Toulon coach Bernard Laporte said Monday that Wilkinson would be joining the club's backroom staff, although the player himself indicated a preference for working on individual skills.

"Hopefully, I would love to have an opportunity to work on skills and to really try to maximise the ability of the team by working individually on a one-on-one basis," he said.

"That is kind of where I would love to spend my time in rugby, certainly initially. I would love to try to get the best out of everyone."

But before any of that Wilkinson said he would be concentrating solely on helping Toulon record a European and domestic 'double'.

"With these two big games, preparation is paramount," he said.

"We must make sure, having spent so much time and having gone through so much, that we perform and give ourselves the best chance.

"Everything has always felt so damned important anyway. For me, rugby has always been a life or death thing, and I don't think that is going to change coming to the end of it all.

"The best way to go out, I think, is trying at least to show everything that is good about yourself."

Following Wilkinson's announcement, there were numerous tributes from rugby's great and good including one from Springbok wing Bryan Habana.

An opponent while playing for South Africa, Habana has come to know Wilkinson as a team-mate at Toulon.

"It's been a great honour and privilege to play with him, he's one of the most professional players I've known and one of the most humble," Habana told AFP in Toulon.

"After everything he's been through, everything he's done, he deserves to go out of the game in style."

"After (Wilkinson's last match), I might ask him for a signed shirt because I'm also a fan," Habana said with a smile.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ts-time-to-go/

An absolute legend of the game on and off the field (some young fellas could learn a lot from him in that regard), congratulations on an awesome rugby career and with any luck he wont be totally lost to the game. At worst I'm sure he'll pop his head up every four years. Probably the most distressing few minutes of rugby of have ever had the privilege of watching from the stands was leading up to "that kick". Thanks for the memories Jonny, good and bad

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 20-05-14 at 07:59.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

'Wilkinson changed rugby': England coach

AAP
    Duncan Bech
    May 20, 2014, 7:05 am

Jonny Wilkinson will enter retirement bearing the ultimate tribute from England head coach Stuart Lancaster who believes the World Cup winner's influence has changed the face of the game.

Wilkinson's remarkable 17-year professional career is just two matches away from its conclusion after he announced he will hang up his boots at the end of the season.

The 34-year-old, arguably the sport's biggest star, will bow out with Toulon's Heineken Cup final against Saracens on Saturday and the Top 14 final against Castres the following weekend.

Lancaster believes Wilkinson's impact on the sport has been vast, highlighting the extraordinary level of dedication shown by the former England fly-half and captain.

"I've never had the privilege to coach Jonny but he will get a huge number of plaudits and rightly so," Lancaster said on Monday.

"He has changed the way the game has been played, but more importantly changed the way in which people prepare to play the game.

"The detail and preparation he did off the field made him the complete player.

"His influence on so many rugby players across the world in that respect is phenomenal.

"I can't actually think of a player in rugby who would have had the same impact on the sport as him."

Wilkinson's imminent retirement had been widely anticipated and the news was confirmed on Toulon's website on Monday morning.

"It goes without saying that I have an enormous number of people to thank for their support from all around the world, but especially here in France and in England," said Wilkinson, who is 35 on Sunday.

"This, however, is not at all the time to be concentrating on this as I would like to focus all my attention and energy on the team and these final two games of the season.

"I sincerely thank you all for everything you have given me and for making these last 17 years something I will never forget."

Wilkinson bows out as one of only five players to have scored 1000 international points, with his haul of 1,246 second only to New Zealand great Dan Carter.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...england-coach/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Great tribute TIF.

It has been an honour to watch him play. He has given so much to the game and still has a lot more to give in terms of coaching the stars of the future.

One of the most gentlemanly, professional and skilful guys ever to have played this fantastic game. Enjoy your retirement Jonny - you have sure earned it.

vCash
    Thanks for the memories Jonnny as has already been said the good and the bad.. Perhaps we could nab him as our kicking coach..

vCash
    I was always surprised how hard he could tackle. Had no problem with anyone 10 kilos heavier than himself. Definately the best tackling fly half I ever saw play.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDq2OPXtZso

Read his book last year. Was a real insight to how obsessive his behavious was, even when he was very young. Even from 8 years old he was incredibly driven to achieve his goals.

Extraordinarily humble man aswell. Makes you realise what high regard he was held in by his fellow pro's when you read the tributes.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by WFDom; 21-05-14 at 16:56.
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    didnt know there was a book. will have to get onto that. havent got anything to read at the moment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    didnt know there was a book. will have to get onto that. havent got anything to read at the moment.
    Might want to wait a few months Jono.... apparently he's gonna be updating it now he's retiring.

Since the 1st edition, he's been voted European player of the year 2013 (age 34), won the European cup 2013 & has two major finals to go over the next couple of weeks (European & French domestic).

vCash
    What a great player. THAT goal seemed inevitable, painful as it was. I recall people spruiking that goal kicking was the mainstay of his game and the only reason he was the England fly-half. How wrong. He's a complete footballer and the best defensive 5/8 of the professional era.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I remember watching a England v Italy 6N game back in 2011. It was when Flood had come in as first choice 5/8 and they were using Wilko to close out games.

From what I remember there was only 5 mins left and England were comfortably in the lead. Andrea Masi looked like he was in in the corner for what would have been a consolation try. From out of nowhere Wilkinson creamed him in to touch & damaged himself in the process.

It just showed that no matter what the result, his attitude never changed. He was always 150% commited. Lesser players would not have made that tackle when there was nothing on the line.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    This tribute to Jonny Wilkinson by Dan Carter and Ritchie McCaw is why I love the game of rugby union so much. (Thanks to Rhydian for posting it on Twitter)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MEiLSonUPAc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    This tribute to Jonny Wilkinson by Dan Carter and Ritchie McCaw is why I love the game of rugby union so much. (Thanks to Rhydian for posting it on Twitter)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MEiLSonUPAc
    Dammit! I hate not being able to watch you tube whilst away at work!

vCash
    Sorry Dom :-( Maybe Darren can do something???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Sorry Dom :-( Maybe Darren can do something???
    It's ok Alison, I'll put it on the list of things to watch when I get home

vCash
    When are you 'released'? ;-D

vCash
    Here's something rugby-related for you to read instead WFDom - a candid piece from Shontayne Hape about concussion injuries in rugby. It has to stop!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11264856

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast