Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Journalist suggesting the Force play in the SA Conference in rugby expansion

vCash
    Almost. Pacific Islands will never happen, not enough broadcasting money and nowhere to play home games.

Added to which, the Tongans on the team would get more pleasure out of smashing the Samoans on their own team that the suffers on the opposition.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Does anyone see the irony in this?

For years the Kiwis have been shitbagging the Aussies about how "You can't use Super Rugby like it's the Aussie Rugby version of the NRL or AFL! You need to make your own domestic competition!"

Similar talk from South Africa "We have our own teams playing each other in our Currie Cup, these multiple local derby fixtures are redundant! Super Rugby should be different!"

Now we end up with Super Rugby devolving into what is essentially three domestic competitions each, with a couple of foreign guests and a play-off series to round out the season. With the inclusion of the Kings in South Africa, you end up with the six old Currie Cup "Test provinces" (WP, OFS, Transvaal, Northerns, EP and Natal) playing each other. We have exactly what both those countries were complaining about in the first place.

SANZAR have taken away the whole point of the internationality of the competition, the best against the best in one competition. It feels like having the finalists of the ITM Cup, Currie Cup and the New NRC playing each other instead would be about the same thing.

Sorry to say it, but I reckon the new system sucks. I know they are wanting to raise funds to fend off European club advances, but I think they are killing the concept.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    I think you are right on the money Chibi. Unfortunately the broadcasters hold all the cards. If Super Rugby falls over they simply walk away.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Agreed Chibi! I think this is going to down grade Super Rugby, take away a lot of the excitement and passion on a weekly basis.
    Yes there will be a few must watch games during the season but I can see the more entertaining games coming up in the play offs. (If your team is lucky enough to make it).
    I'm not looking forward to it I just hope the NRC shapes up.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    For me it's the teams we DON'T play which will be the disappointing thing. Hell, I'm already disappointed THIS year, a game between the Sharks and an organised Force outfit would have been an absorbing contest. And we could have had another Kiwi scalp if we played the 'Canes.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I think missing those two, plus the way our byes timed, and the June Test break after SA, we got about the best draw we could ask for, with perhaps missing Crusaders instead of Canes.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2