Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Genia backs battling Reds coach

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Genia backs battling Reds coach

AAP
    Jim Morton
    May 8, 2014, 12:08 pm

Queensland vice-captain Will Genia has given under-pressure coach Richard Graham unqualified support as the Reds fight to avoid falling into Super Rugby's wooden-spoon position.

The Wallabies halfback on Thursday declared Graham had done an outstanding job in his maiden season despite the Reds' 3-7 record which has them third last on the overall standings.

Queensland face the very real prospect of ending this weekend in dead last if they fail to snap a four-game losing streak on Sunday against the red-hot Crusaders.

They would be leapfrogged if South African strugglers the Cheetahs (at home to Western Force) or Stormers (playing the Bulls in Pretoria) win and the Reds lose.

Genia admitted the Reds were now paying the price for a drop in defensive standards and "looking too far ahead" earlier in the season.

Graham, the former Force coach who impressively took charge of the Reds defence duties last season, has found the going much tougher replacing Ewen McKenzie as Queensland boss.

But Genia indicated the new mentor had plenty of support from his playing group.

"I think Richard has done an outstanding job," he said.

"I think he's worked really hard, not just as a rugby coach but also as a mentor for the young blokes we have coming through.

"They have to learn how to train and play at this level and he's done an outstanding job with helping those guys through."

For a player who cut his teeth at provincial level when the Reds were competition easybeats from 2006 to 2009, Genia said it was crucial the team rolled with the punches and stayed tight.

"Hard work is what is going to get us out of it and back to where we want to be," the 55-Test scrumhalf said.

"The one common thing that threaded through for the guys who remained behind and went through the successful time (2010-13), it was through hard work.

"And you can't lose the confidence to actually play and have that sense of adventure in the game that we want to play."

Graham, to name his side Friday, looks set to move Test lock Rob Simmons to blindside flanker to beef up Queensland's pack against the sixth-placed Crusaders at Suncorp Stadium.

Injuries to back-rowers Liam Gill and Ed Quirk, has opened the door for Simmons to wear No.6 and Ed O'Donaghue come into the second-row.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ng-reds-coach/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    The Wallabies halfback on Thursday declared Graham had done an outstanding job in his maiden season despite the Reds' 3-7 record which has them third last on the overall standings.....

How can Genia in all seriousness say that from the REDS performance this season.. Genia must be on something pretty high quality to justify that statement.. PLONKER!!!....

vCash
    Only Jim C to go now.......!!

Interesting it's come from Genia not Horwill?

vCash
    WTF??

I want to know when the last time someone from the Reds was drug tested. They're collectively on a bad trip up there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    "They have to learn how to train and play at this level and he's done an outstanding job with helping those guys through."
    I would have thought that learning was already complete considering Dick was going to a team that "Knows how to win games"

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Glad we let the GOOD coach go ... as results, ladder and player development has been great this year for us.

Genia is a muppet in more than 1 way now, this proves it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It appears that they are two peas in a pod, can't take their word on anything.

vCash
    Who says Genia is a wallaby? He's only about 3rd in the pecking order. Or bloody well should be!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Who says Genia is a wallaby? He's only about 3rd in the pecking order. Or bloody well should be!
    That's not really fair. Sure he is down on his best form ATM but he has been good, bloody good.

vCash
    A player sticking up for his coach - yeah what an a***hole...

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    I really thought my opinion of Will was at its lowest after the Force "Backflip"

It appears not.................

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006 View Post
    I really thought my opinion of Will was at its lowest after the Force "Backflip"

It appears not.................
    Really? What did you expect him to do? Bag Dick out to the media and the world days after several others have come out in support. I know Dick is useless, but you can't expect the boys who rely on him for minutes and therefore a paycheck to soil their own nests Billy Genia can't be trusted as far as you can spit him anyway. As soon as sick gets the sack Genia will reveal that he always had suspicions that [insert whatever he needs to advance his career here]

C'mon the

vCash
    I wonder what QRU's "Faceless Men" think about Graham's outstanding job.

Go The Force!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joblot View Post
    That's not really fair. Sure he is down on his best form ATM but he has been good, bloody good.
    IMO both White and Phipps are playing better than Genia who has really slowed down, he's also spends more time going sideways than forwards. It may be because he's behind a weak scrum but even last year wth the Wallabies he was no longer as good as he used to be.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Genia mustn't feel any tension around the club then...

"Tensions at the Queensland Reds are so high that coach Richard Graham had to confront his own players over a perceived lack of support.

Graham gathered the playing squad in a room last week and bluntly told them the internal friction had to end.

We hear Graham asked the group: “Are you with me or against me?”.

The coach took the silence that followed as support and then called a start to training. The Reds went on to get dished up by the Blues.

In a further sign of turmoil, its understood former Wallaby winger Digby Ioane was offered a spot by the Reds to return home.

Reds players close to Ioane told him not to bother because by the time he returned they wouldn’t be at the club."

From: Payto & Panda: Dave Dennis open to playing for Rams, but Israel Folau and Kurtley Beale out of reach

Last edited by Fullback; 09-05-14 at 04:50. Reason: To fix link
    Go The Force!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast