Thread: Mehrtens: Bit of bash sorts the Australians out

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Mehrtens: Bit of bash sorts the Australians out

ANDREW MEHRTENS
    Last updated 11:56 06/05/2014

OPINION: The best way to beat Aussie teams is to give them the bash. It's a tried and true formula in rugby and it worked beautifully for the Blues and Crusaders at the weekend.

When I say the "bash" of course I mean the perfectly legal and acceptable use of physicality to impose your will on a game. Australian teams don't like it, it doesn't allow them to dictate and it's the best way to knock them off their game.

Both the Blues and Crusaders won largely off the back of being more physical, firstly at the tackle line and secondly at the breakdown. Consequently neither the Reds nor Brumbies achieved consistent go-forward ball.

I think we can also say the Hurricanes lost in Sydney because they weren't able to achieve that same level of dominance. The Waratahs are the biggest of the Australian teams, and the Canes were unable to get the same physical superiority and intimidation as their compatriots.

Traditionally New Zealand teams have used that physical aggression as a key advantage over Australian sides. When you focus on that, the rest falls into place.

We are not going to out-think them. Yes, it pains me to say that, but victories come on the back of physical dominance, allied with some pure talent which all of our teams have.

For the Blues, being able to call on Charles Piutau, Ma'a Nonu, Peter Saili, Patrick Tuipulotu, Jerome Kaino and Keven Mealamu for consistent go-forward is huge. The second part of that equation is the placement of the ball for quick access by the halfback.

The quality practitioners get the ball out from their body as far as possible. That makes it harder for a defender to access and makes them more vulnerable to the cleanout. It also gives the cleaners a target, and makes it visible for the halfback and guys in support.

Sometimes the best ball stealers are also the best ball placers, because they understand the importance. Richie McCaw and George Smith spring to mind.

There's simply no substitute for that go-forward. The Crusaders were provided it by Nemani Nadolo, Ryan Crotty, Jordan Taufua, Wyatt Crockett and Dom Bird, who's a big guy who frees his arms and places well.

The Blues and Crusaders looked the most cohesive both have all season, and good communication was a big part of that. Guys around first receiver were responding to calls from outside and when you get that constant commentary on the field, it's a sign things are working well.

Communication helps with the trust and accuracy of your game, and it helps your nine and 10 with their decision-making.

The little things count too. Part of the reason the Blues were able to make ground so well was because of the work around the ball. It wasn't always obvious who was carrying next, and that makes the defence less certain coming forward, and thus less effective.

The Crusaders were also very impressive and didn't miss a stride with those early injuries. In a funny sort of way having Taufua on so soon gave their loose trio a better balance, and enabled McCaw to operate in the No 7 role he knows so well.

Ma'a Nonu was a great example of the danger posed by winning that physical battle. He set up the first three tries and was such a threat that the defence had to consider him, which opened it up for other guys around him.

I guess the jury is out on the Super Rugby expansion proposal. It feels bitsy to me, and I don't believe it will be the format in 10-15 years' time.

I stand by my comments a while back about moving away from South Africa, though I should clarify I wasn't advocating dropping them from the competition altogether.

I think what we could end up with is, say, eight New Zealand teams, five from Australia, maybe one or two from the islands, one from Japan, and maybe Hong Kong, and forming a competition based on our time zone.

Then you have playoffs with the South African side of the equation.

But anything like that is reliant on the professional game below international rugby having a global body making key decisions. Then you could have salary caps, co-ordinated seasons, windows for tours and so on.

New Zealand rugby is blessed with quality 10s. Even with the two most recent All Black starters absent, the form of our first-fives has been very encouraging.

I'd rank Beauden Barrett No 1, and Colin Slade, with his kicking game, not far behind.

They both have the ability to run like a cut cat. Then I'd have Gareth Anscombe and Lima Sopoaga just in behind them, and even young Simon Hickey is going very well for the Blues, helped by having Nonu just outside him in such good form.

For Dan Carter, seeing the way his rivals are going, that sabbatical probably can't end soon enough.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...ustralians-out

It's only taken them 12 rounds to be able to finally write this stuff!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Pretty much agree with that. What he doesn't say is that this physical approach is usually accompanied with a wee bit of cheating at the breakdown. Hands and holding, not rolling away etc. Anything from the school of McCaw that they can get away with.

vCash
    Yep, the Force bashed the Highlanders and the Chiefs this year, with more to come.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Is he suggesting it's time to bring Zinzan and Loey out of retirement, couple of cheapshots due perhaps?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    He is really stating the bleeding obvious though isn't he. Most wins are off the back of a dominant pack or dominant defence. The Reds have neither this year and the brumbies had a very off day in the last game.