Thread: Steve Walsh whistles up a controversy, again

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Steve Walsh whistles up a controversy, again

CHRIS BARCLAY
    Last updated 12:22 05/05/2014

Mark Hammett will seek clarification on key rulings by Steve Walsh following the Hurricanes' Super Rugby loss to the NSW Waratahs on Saturday, though he conceded his team was its own worst enemy before surrendering top spot in the New Zealand conference.

Walsh has a well-documented history of infuriating Wellington rugby fans - a distrust that stems from his control of the Lions' unsuccessful Ranfurly Shield challenge against Canterbury in 2001. The Australian-based referee's decision-making and interaction with players was again a focal point during the Waratahs' 39-30 win at Allianz Stadium.

The Hurricanes were denied a likely bonus point when halfback TJ Perenara was penalised for backchat in the 75th minute when Walsh ruled a knock-on against replacement outside back Matt Proctor as the visitors launched a desperate counter-attack.

Bernard Foley was on target from 25 metres to prolong the Waratahs' unbeaten home record in 2014, a bitter blow for the Hurricanes soon after a marginal call thwarted another attempt to erase a six-point deficit.

Walsh ruled the transfer from Ardie Savea to Tim Bateman was forward but ignored pleas that the midfielder was being impeded by Waratahs halfback Nick Phipps.

The Hurricanes pack were also perplexed with Walsh's adjudication of the set piece, particularly when tighthead prop Jeffrey Toomaga-Allen was penalised for "mucking around" when binding on Benn Robinson at a scrum in the 48th minute.

Dane Coles unsuccessfully sought an explanation moments after the All Black hooker had a fruitless discussion with Walsh concerning the rules of engagement at scrum time.

Hammett acknowledged calls "go this way and that way" and would discuss aspects of Walsh's officiating with Sanzar referees boss Lyndon Bray.

Hurricanes captain Conrad Smith said Perenara, who was subbed after the incident, denied querying Walsh's decision. Television replays were inconclusive.

"TJ said to me 'I didn't say anything', I don't know other than that," said Smith, while Hammett added: "Maybe it was his [Perenara's] body language, I don't know."

While there was conjecture over Walsh's interpretations, Hammett and Smith agreed the Hurricanes had contributed to their own downfall after building a 24-7 lead after 26 minutes.

A fortuitous try to Beauden Barrett after Wycliff Palu dropped the ball behind the goal line and Julian Savea scoring from the restart after bursts from Coles and Jack Lam should have set up the Hurricanes for their fifth straight win - and a rise to second in the overall standings - but they buttoned off defensively to enable the Waratahs to draw level by the break.

"Being up [24-7] after 20-odd minutes, as a coach you get quite nervous," Hammett said.

"There were pretty strong messages sent down at that point. The point that lost it for us was around our defensive attitude when we got up by that much. We weren't as passionate and as niggly as we would have liked to have been."

Crucially, the Hurricanes were limited to only two Barrett penalties in the second half as their attacking game also deteriorated. Perenara was the culprit when he delayed his pass to an unmarked Cory Jane after breaking from a scrum in the 42nd minute.

"The reality is we probably didn't deserve to win that game," said Hammett.

"Our game is about continuity and they held us well. We had 13 handling errors - we're sort of our own worst enemies."

The Hurricanes, who slipped to seventh overall and third in the New Zealand conference, relocated to Melbourne yesterday for Friday's round 13 clash with the Rebels.

There had been concerns over lock Jeremy Thrush after he felt a twinge in his neck late in the second half but scans cleared him of serious damage.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...troversy-again

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I think Steve Walsh is OK.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I miss Craig Joubert (probably spelt wrong!!)

vCash
    Are you on something Hertryk, I'd prefer Steve Walsh any day....

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Chopper1; 05-05-14 at 17:18. Reason: Typo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1 View Post
    Depends where you're playing Craig Joubert is an awesome ref to have for a home game, but a prick if you're away from home.

Re Walshy in the tahs game, he did well, Perenara was mouthing off at him for about five minutes before he blew the penalty, I thought it was OK. I thought the scrums were pretty fair as well.

Walsh did a good job and the Canes are suffering from small country syndrome.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1 View Post
    I don't mind either as it happens.. but prefer Joubert...
    After witnessing his reffing at the World Cup in NZ I think he's a great ref..

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    I don't mind either as it happens.. but prefer Joubert...
    After witnessing his reffing at the World Cup in NZ I think he's a great ref..
    Joubert was terrible in the final though, scared to penalise NZ.

vCash
    Welcome to our fantastic WF supporters' site Jeansyjive..

I think on this one we will agree to disagree

No-one was willing the French to win more than me.. The last French penalty.... if the kicker had aimed for me in the crowd (as I believe Jonny Wilkinson does..LOL!) he would have been successful with that kick..

Player
    vCash
    Maybe terrible was a bit strong. He did miss a few penalties for the french though. Joubert is usually pretty reliable though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeansyjive View Post
    Joubert was terrible in the final though, scared to penalise NZ.
    Always been Joubert's weakness, If your dominating, he turns his head and gives you a free ticket.
    (oops sounds a bit saucy)
    Walshy - The day he broke the shackles and said what we all wanted to say to the Saffa physio ....."G'Day", showed he'd kicked the turps, and was back at the top end of town. It kicked off a whole new round of man-love for him. Please God All Blacks vs Wallabys WCFinal - Walshy with the "blaster" in the middle, or on the line holding the flag horizontally at every stoppage, making his way onto the field with his first words ..."number 7 BLACK..."

vCash
    on that note...the unzud commentators in the brumbies Saders game, had some serious manlove for Richie even complimenting him on his penalties saying they were Strategic... All i could see him doing is lying all over every ruck the Brumbies had....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    Always been Joubert's weakness, If your dominating, he turns his head and gives you a free ticket.
    (oops sounds a bit saucy)
    Walshy - The day he broke the shackles and said what we all wanted to say to the Saffa physio ....."G'Day", showed he'd kicked the turps, and was back at the top end of town. It kicked off a whole new round of man-love for him. Please God All Blacks vs Wallabys WCFinal - Walshy with the "blaster" in the middle, or on the line holding the flag horizontally at every stoppage, making his way onto the field with his first words ..."number 7 BLACK..."
    Walshy won't get the appointment with the "blaster" if it's that final.
    Dead set.