Brayden Mitchell suspended for three weeks

May 5, 2014

Brayden Mitchell suspended for three weeks

Duty Judicial Officer: Adam Casselden
    Player: Brayden Mitchell
    Team: Highlanders
    Position: Hooker
    Date of Incident: 3 May 2014
    Nature of Offence: Law 10.4 (j) Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.
    Elapsed time in match when incident occurred: 66th minute

MEDIA RELEASE

The SANZAR Duty Judicial Officer Adam Casselden has accepted a guilty plea from Brayden Mitchell of the Highlanders for contravening Law 10.4 (j) Lifting Tackle, after he was cited during a Super Rugby match at the weekend.

Mitchell has been suspended from all forms of the game for three weeks up to and including 24 May 2014.

The incident occurred in the 66th minute of the match between the Stormers and Highlanders at DHL Newlands in Cape Town on Saturday 3 May 2014.

SANZAR Duty Judicial Officer Adam Casselden assessed the case.

In his finding, Mr Casselden ruled the following:

"After initially reviewing the video footage and Citing Commissioner's report, I took submissions from the player and his representatives, including counsel Mr Aaron Lloyd, and obtained their views of the incident. I then proceeded by establishing that the player accepted a breach for the cited offence and then identified the various factors involved in the incident.

"The incident was found to have an entry point in the low end range which starts at four weeks. I then added two weeks as a deterrent for this type of tackle as it has been widely acknowledged that this type of action cannot be tolerated in the game due to the risk it poses to players.

"Based on the guilty plea of the player indicating contrition for his action, acceptance of the indicated sanction and the player’s excellent disciplinary record along with testament to his good character, a discount was given to bring the suspension to three weeks. The player is suspended up to and including Saturday 24 May 2014."

All SANZAR disciplinary matters are in the first instance referred to a Duty Judicial Officer hearing to provide the option of expediting the judicial process.

For a matter to be dispensed with at this hearing, the person appearing must plead guilty and accept the penalty offered by the DJO.

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugb...r-three-weeks/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    It appears Judiciary Officer Adam Castleden can use a photocopier

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the