James Slipper suspended for three weeks

May 5, 2014

James Slipper suspended for three weeks

Duty Judicial Officer: Adam Casselden
    Player: James Slipper
    Team: Reds
    Position: Prop
    Date of Incident: 2 May 2014
    Nature of Offence: Law 10.4 (j) Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.
    Elapsed time in match when incident occurred: 35th minute

MEDIA RELEASE

The SANZAR Duty Judicial Officer Adam Casselden has accepted a guilty plea from James Slipper of the Reds for contravening Law 10.4 (j) Lifting Tackle, after he was cited during a Super Rugby match at the weekend.

Slipper has been suspended from all forms of the game for three weeks up to and including 24 May 2014.

The incident occurred in the 35th minute of the match between the Blues and Reds at Eden Park on Friday 2 May 2014.

SANZAR Duty Judicial Officer Adam Casselden assessed the case.

In his finding, Mr Casselden ruled the following:

"After initially reviewing the video footage and Citing Commissioner's report, I heard submissions from the player's representatives, including his counsel Mr Mark Martin QC and obtained their views of the incident. I then proceeded by establishing that the player accepted a breach for the cited offence and then identified the various factors involved in the incident.

"I considered the incident had an entry point in the low end range which starts at a four week suspension. I then added two weeks as a deterrent to send a message that this type of offending cannot be tolerated in the game due to the risk it poses to players. I also considered the player's upcoming schedule of games as required under the IRB regulations and was satisfied that the player was scheduled to play a club rugby match during the Reds' bye week in Round 15.

"Given the player's excellent disciplinary record, his good character and in recognition of his early plea of guilty I reduced the six week suspension to three weeks. Accordingly, the player is suspended from all forms of rugby up to and including Saturday, 24 May 2014.

All SANZAR disciplinary matters are in the first instance referred to a Duty Judicial Officer hearing to provide the option of expediting the judicial process.

For a matter to be dispensed with at this hearing, the person appearing must plead guilty and accept the penalty offered by the DJO.

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugb...r-three-weeks/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Veteran
    vCash
    wow carbon copy of the other incident for how the weeks were determined...

vCash
    Seems pretty fair and consistent. I bet he's pissed that he hasn't been warned recently by SANZAR about lifting tackles otherwise he could have had his sentence suspended

C'mon the