Thread: West Harbour offer James O'Connor a shot at World Cup redemption

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

West Harbour offer James O'Connor a shot at World Cup redemption

May 2, 2014 - 5:42AM

Georgina Robinson
    Chief Rugby Reporter

THE BREAKDOWN

Could James O'Connor go from being a Pirate or a Ram to a World Cup Wallaby next year?

Apparently, yes. As Super Rugby offers for the exiled former Wallaby appear to be drying up, Shute Shield club West Harbour could be O'Connor's last chance to crack Australia's World Cup squad next year.

Australian Rugby Union chief executive Bill Pulver backed Ewen McKenzie's stance that he would not lobby any Super Rugby clubs to sign the 44-Test outside back.

But he also confirmed that O'Connor needed only to be playing rugby "domestically" to be eligible for a Test call-up.

"He doesn't actually need to find a home in Super Rugby; he could come back and play grade rugby," Pulver said.

"He could come back and play for [West Harbour] so it becomes a question of how badly does he want it?"

O'Connor signed a three-year sponsorship agreement with West Harbour last June, before the Rebels pulled out of re-signing their playmaker and O'Connor decided to move offshore.

West Harbour president Tony Horrocks said the two parties had put their deal on hold while O'Connor played in Europe but had remained on good terms.

Horrocks said the Pirates would welcome O'Connor with open arms, but that the 25-year-old would also be a star signing for new National Rugby Championship franchise the Greater Sydney Rams.

"The club would be more than willing to bring him back into the country and obviously into the national competition if he wants to be a part of it," Horrocks said.

"He would be excellent in a Rams uniform for sure. From a club's perspective he always fits in really well and you don't walk away from that sort of talent."

There is the small matter of remuneration, of course. As one of the highest paid Australian players at the time of his departure, it is difficult to imagine O'Connor coming home for a few free chicken dinners at Club Burwood each week.

To which the big man, Bill, said: "I think at the time it was the right thing to release him from his contract, but I have no doubt that he can get himself to a point where he can be a constructive and very successful member of the Australian rugby community. We would welcome him with open arms but the ball is in his court."

Where's the transparency?

Michael Cheika's self-imposed media ban continued this week, even after the resolution of his SANZAR misconduct case.

The Waratahs coach was handed a suspended six-month ban with a warning to toe the line until the end of August next year lest the suspension be activated.

There was also a $6000 costs bill and a demand for a written apology. But the threat of a ban is the big one, regardless of whether it takes effect now or not at all.

The message it sends is that Cheika is on his very last warning with SANZAR. No wonder his reluctance to say anything to the media.

But should it be this way? It is difficult to run a critical eye over the governing body's judicial process when SANZAR will not release the transcript of the hearings.

Its media release this week was extraordinarily detailed but also selective. It appeared to take into account not only a written warning issued to Cheika last season but also his previous misdemeanours in Europe.

Hold on, what? In what way are the charges from another so-called jurisdiction at all relevant to whether he is guilty of abusing a television cameraman?

There is no doubt Cheika has been his own worst enemy at times and should have learned by now where the line is in Super Rugby and how to walk it.

But the allegations SANZAR made in its media release this week made it sound – again, there is nothing on the public record we can reference to test this – suspiciously like the governing body wanted to punish Cheika and was prepared to dredge up all manner of incidents to make that happen.

In the meantime, a coach almost universally respected in his home market – ironically for his plain-speaking, often fiery commentary – is now denying Waratahs' fans his voice.

Nice work if you can get it

Fascinating news from The Breakdown's colleague Brad Walter that the ARU is poaching league players for their women's sevens squad.

Walter reports in Friday's Sydney Morning Herald that the ARU was offering league players $700 a week and $5000 per World Series tournament to come across to rugby.

It is by no means a motza but apparently better than nothing, which is what league is offering its female players in the Women's All Stars and Indigenous All Stars.

League Test fullback Sam Hammond, who will play in the curtain-raiser for Friday's Test match between the Kangaroos and Kiwis, has been asked to make the switch.

If she takes up the ARU's offer, Hammond would join former Jillaroos teammate Emma Tonegato in the sevens side, which is one ambitious tournament win away from becoming Australia's first World Series winners.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz30VqpCcn0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Where, exactly, would West Harbour get the $$$ from to pay him - the good ole ARU??

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good question Alison.. He would need to be able to live the life he's become accustomed to ......LOL!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Plenty of private $$$$ around West Harbour.....

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    At least they are not talking about our mob talking to him. I'm buggered if I know how this bloke still gets so much press. I'd guess most Rugby supporters in Oz couldn't give a rat's what JOC is doing next year. I'm about as interested in that as getting 3 seats for the AFL grand final

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    They can have him, but I can't see him accepting anything less than a high dollar based contract. He has a high opinion of himself and will see them as a stepping stone so he can come back and play for the Wallabies, not what he can offer them or rugby in general.

vCash
    and now on to the really interesting part of this story
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgina Robinson View Post
    Hold on, what? In what way are the charges from another so-called jurisdiction at all relevant to whether he is guilty of abusing a television cameraman?
    Georgina spruiked this line last night as well. I'm sure that his previous record in other jurisdictions would be taken into account in a court of law. If that wasn't the case, I would be able to be convicted of murder in WA and get off Scott free simply by moving interstate. I don't think previous history (of any sort) is taken into account as evidence of guilt, however once he is found guilty, I think it's fair to look at his previous behaviour in relation to sentencing.

In any case, he has been issued a warning in THIS jurisdiction and a SUSPENDED sentence, that sounds like they were being nice and simply playing hard ball with the press release.

C'mon the

vCash
    I don't give a shit where he plays next year... as long as it is NOT for the Western Force

Toulon to grade footy in a few short months sounds just what the jumped up little prick needs

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    and now on to the really interesting part of this story

Georgina spruiked this line last night as well. I'm sure that his previous record in other jurisdictions would be taken into account in a court of law. If that wasn't the case, I would be able to be convicted of murder in WA and get off Scott free simply by moving interstate. I don't think previous history (of any sort) is taken into account as evidence of guilt, however once he is found guilty, I think it's fair to look at his previous behaviour in relation to sentencing.

In any case, he has been issued a warning in THIS jurisdiction and a SUSPENDED sentence, that sounds like they were being nice and simply playing hard ball with the press release.
    i think what she was saying was that the charges from up north happened some 9 years ago and that its a bit rich for it to be brought up now when players records are wiped clean after about 2-3 years.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Good question Alison.. He would need to be able to live the life he's become accustomed to ......LOL!
    Indeed! Box seats at Stamford Bridge for every Chelsea home game, dinner at Nobu & the Ivy, shopping in Knightsbridge and Bond St, a pad in Richmond.....that's some lifestyle he's become accustomed to!

Rookie
    vCash
    Scenario-No super side picks up JOC. He plays for West Harbour and still gets picked in the Wallabies. How would he, or could he be comfortable being in a squad with every other member being part of a team that didn't want him, regardless of his ability?

vCash
    His ego is the size of Brazil and his hangers-on think he's the Messiah - I don't think it would even register what anyone else thinks about him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    At least they are not talking about our mob talking to him. I'm buggered if I know how this bloke still gets so much press. I'd guess most Rugby supporters in Oz couldn't give a rat's what JOC is doing next year. I'm about as interested in that as getting 3 seats for the AFL grand final
    Hi Shasta
    Some where onn here are some AFL Grand final tickets LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post
    Hi Shasta
    Some where onn here are some AFL Grand final tickets LOL
    I'll take the lot then. Carna Pies!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Indeed! Box seats at Stamford Bridge for every Chelsea home game, dinner at Nobu & the Ivy, shopping in Knightsbridge and Bond St, a pad in Richmond.....that's some lifestyle he's become accustomed to!
    Wouldn't mind that but come on Chelsea! He's showing his true self!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast