Thread: NSW Waratahs coach Michael Cheika handed suspended six-month ban for abusing camerama

vCash

NSW Waratahs coach Michael Cheika handed suspended six-month ban for abusing camerama

In hot water ... Michael Cheika with his NSW Waratahs charges.
    New South Wales Waratahs coach Michael Cheika has been given a suspended six-month ban by Super Rugby's governing body after he admitted abusing a cameraman in South Africa during a Super Rugby match in late March.

Cheika, 47, was charged with misconduct for using crude, insulting or abusive language, a breach of SANZAR's code of conduct, during his team's defeat to the Sharks in Durban.

Judicial officer Nigel Hampton found that Cheika had abused the cameraman at least twice shortly after half-time, with accompanied finger pointing, and swore at him on at least one further occasion.

He also found Cheika's evidence "unconvincing", that false accusations and fabricated witness evidence were made on his behalf, but that while the abuse was unprovoked and disturbing, it was not threatening.

"This matter bears a number of striking similarities with past instances, particularly the use of foul and abusive language towards those charged with running a match and the propensity of Mr Cheika to behave in this manner is disturbing," Hampton said in a statement.

"Given his previous record and the factual findings of the investigation, I regard this as a serious offence and do not see it as a result of any provocation, nor is there any excuse for it."

Cheika admitted using "stern" language on at least one occasion.

The ban is suspended until August 31 2015, with Cheika ordered to pay costs of $6,000 and apologise to the cameraman.

Cheika was given a warning by SANZAR during the 2013 season and was handed a large fine for abusing match officials during and after Stade Francais' loss to Harlequins in the final of the 2011 Amlin Cup, Europe's second-tier rugby competition.

Two weeks before the Sharks match Cheika, who was given 48 hours to appeal the decision, broke a glass door at Canberra Stadium.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    let's see if he can keep his temper in check for the rest of the season! 6 month ban would be hillariois!

Also if it makes you all feel better, waratahjesus is losing his shit about it on twitter.

vCash
    Can't wait to see Phil Kearns' reactin tomorrow night, because he thinks it's great that Cheika is showing some passion for the game.

It's interesting that a repeat offender has been given a suspended sentence, is this typical in legal circles?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    He's gotta get through next year as well (provided the Tahs don't show him the door in a few months!) suspended until August 2015.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Cheika slammed by Super Rugby judiciary

AAP
    April 30, 2014, 2:33 pm

Michael Cheika's past misconduct came back to bite him as the NSW Waratahs' coach was slammed in a damning finding by Super Rugby's judiciary for verbally abusing a sideline cameraman.

The Waratahs and their coach were declining to comment on Wednesday as he decided whether to appeal, having pleaded guilty to misconduct at his hearing.

SANZAR judicial officer Nigel Hampton QC said he was taking previous incidents into account when he handed Cheika a suspended six-month ban from the game, ordered him to write an apology to the South African cameraman and pay $6000 in costs.

"I do not regard Mr Cheika to be a first-time offender and it would be farcical to disregard other matters over the past nine years, including proven misconduct allegations from his time as a professional coach in Europe and a warning from SANZAR during the 2013 Super Rugby season," said Hampton.

"This matter bears a number of striking similarities with past instances, particularly the use of foul and abusive language towards those charged with running a match and the propensity of Mr Cheika to behave in this manner is disturbing.

"Given his previous record and the factual findings of the investigation, I regard this as a serious offence and do not see it as a result of any provocation, nor is there any excuse for it.

"This decision sends a clear message that this type of behaviour and the inherent lack of respect it demonstrates is not acceptable and will not be tolerated."

Hampton found that Cheika breached the governing body's code when he repeatedly told the TV cameraman to "f*** off" during his side's Super Rugby match against the Sharks in Durban on March 29.

He said Cheika was also guilty of inappropriately claiming that witnesses had fabricated evidence.

However he did not find proven an initial suggestion that Cheika had verbally threatened either the cameraman or his equipment when being filmed after going to the sideline aiming to speak to sinbinned skipper Dave Dennis.

In the finding, Hampton took into account Cheika's contrition, but said deterrents were necessary to protect match officials and people charged with running the game.

"Shortly after halftime ... Mr Cheika, unfortunately and unprofessionally, vented his frustration on a match-day cameraman," Hampton said in his ruling.

"On at least two occasions, Mr Cheika told the cameraman to 'f*** off' in a heated way, with accompanied finger pointing."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...gby-judiciary/

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    We definitley dodged a bullet when he decided not to come to the Force, we ended up with Foles who has been a good fit with the players, club and fans. The Force are now reaping the rewards.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I think he can count himself very lucky the sentence was suspended considering he accused witnesses of fabricating evidence. Despite his guilty plea, that false accusation should have led to a harsher sanction. I can easily see his tenure at NSW unravelling if that is how he normally conducts himself.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I think he can count himself very lucky the sentence was suspended considering he accused witnesses of fabricating evidence. Despite his guilty plea, that false accusation should have led to a harsher sanction. I can easily see his tenure at NSW unravelling if that is how he normally conducts himself.
    Extremely poor form to suggest to a quasi-judicial body that other people were falsifying evidence against him and that they were in fact, lying. He may just have a tin-foil hat somewhere in his wardrobe.

Like Cheika less and less the more and more I hear about him.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    AAP
    April 30, 2014, 2:33 pm

Michael Cheika's past misconduct came back to bite him as the NSW Waratahs' coach was slammed in a damning finding by Super Rugby's judiciary for verbally abusing a sideline cameraman.[/url]
    He is fitting right into the tahs team LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    He is fitting right into the tahs team LOL
    I think I'm with Pieter more than Shasta, I think the tahs will continue to characterize his tantrums as "passion for winning" and wait until it becomes obvious they arent going to win.

C'mon the

vCash

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    Gunny I wanted to give you multiple thumbs up!

May the FORCE be with you!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    The Reds thing in the comments is pretty good too.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I think the point the media, Waratahs and especially those bafoons on the rugby club is missing is that passion is great however you cross the line when you start bullying and antagonising people. I think his history shows that the line may have been crossed.

As other have mentioned we dodged a bullet here, imagine if this happened on our ship!!!

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”