Thread: Super boot Ebersohn keen to stay in Perth

Champion
    vCash

Super boot Ebersohn keen to stay in Perth

Nick Taylor The West Australian
    April 28, 2014, 7:53 am

Fly-half Sias Ebersohn, the architect of Western Force's record-equalling Super Rugby win over the Bulls, is set to re-sign.

The South African had a perfect Saturday night with the boot at nib Stadium, kicking five penalties from five attempts in the 15-9 victory and steering the side in an excellent display of wet-weather rugby.

The overseas development player is in outstanding form and the Force are keen to retain him.

Asked whether he would be staying next year, Ebersohn said: "That depends if they want me.

"You never know what's going to happen. If I'm fortunate enough to get contracted ... I'll be enjoying my rugby."

When coach Michael Foley arrived at the Force he said Ebersohn should not be seen as the club saviour but he is now showing the form that made him a target several seasons ago when he was at the Cheetahs.

Ebersohn admitted it had taken time for him to settle into his new club.

"It's not easy to come from another country, a different language for me, and adapt to another culture, to just go in there and play," he said.

"We worked hard in the off- season. You earn respect and then work from that."

Ebersohn's kicking skills kept the Bulls under pressure in difficult conditions and set up the win.

Foley said Ebersohn had coped well with the fast line speed from the Bulls' big men.

"It's one thing to kick, but to kick well is something else," he said

And captain Matt Hodgson added: "To win a kicking battle against the Bulls is impressive."

Ebersohn said the wet weather made the contest at nib Stadium an arm-wrestle.

"We tried to put as much pressure on the Bulls. We don't choose the easy way out. We do the hard work, target the point where we want to pressure," Ebersohn said.

"Every rain game is a kicking game, especially against the Bulls. Even on a good surface they are going to kick a lot, it's a Bulls brand."

The win moved the Force into fourth place on the ladder - in line for a finals "wild-card" under the complicated Super Rugby conference system - and was crucial as they have a bye next weekend.

They are nicely positioned for their first finals series as they prepare to head to South Africa for a two-game tour against the Cheetahs and Stormers.

The win equalled the four straight home wins of 2007 and was the first time they have won four games at home in five years.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What a revelation this year!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    He has been good this year yes but I would still like to see him use the players around him more. He is very good at making plays such as high bombs, kicks into space or the corners, sometimes little sneaky grubbers in behind the defence, but ive rarely seen him run an angle, pop an inside pass , double pump, dummy pass, long pass.. all staples of a good 10. Hopefully he can show us some running rugby against the Cheetahs and Lions

vCash
    He has showed glimpses of a creative playmaker. But like every one of the players, he has executed precisely the game plan the coaches have asked, depending on the opposition and our ability to negate their strenghts. Think back to the first Rabble match. We may see more if things are going well against some of the lower placed teams. I hope so, but not in prefetence to winning.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    ive rarely seen him run an angle, pop an inside pass , double pump, dummy pass, long pass.. all staples of a good 10. Hopefully he can show us some running rugby against the Cheetahs and Lions
    yeah, but when it's been seen its been bloody good. I don't mind him as a flyhalf now, as his confidence raises he is going to play more openly, but I don't want them to manufacture the quality out of the boy. Let him be, when the games open up he'll start running it more and the more he runs (the more he hears the crowd get behind him when he does) the more he'll like it.

C'mon the

vCash
    I hope he does choose to stay/Force re-sign him.
    That's quite special if still says he would like to continue playing for the Force with all the rumours that SARU are sniffing around for someone to wear that number 10 Bok jersey.
    Stay here and qualify to wear the green and gold of the Wallabies

vCash
    Oh the love of being a Force supporter. Last week after the Rebs game the call was to cut him loose as he is no good without Alby. Up until that time he was one of, if not the form 10 in Aus rugby. Go hard Sias!! I love nothing more than a guy you openly admits he misses his home, but puts more value on loyalty to the club that game him a chance to shine!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He's proved me wrong, which I really don't mind admitting... Well Done Sias..!! Keep Practicing love..

vCash
    As he says in the article English was a second language to him. That would have taken time for him to adjust if he was used to hearing all the calls in Afrikaans. He has now settled in, seems to be more comfortable and is probably no longer homesick. He wants to stay, which is more than can be said for some of the previous players that occupied his position.

vCash
    I think sias is a confidence player. Foley has shown more faith in him this season and the team is more settled and sias is more settled within himself and the structures that the team has now developed. Ergo he is playing better.

10 has always been a bogey position for us - as well as our goal kicking, sais seems to be ticking both boxes at the moment.

I hope he resigns as well as Holmes. We desperately need some consistency at 10. With our new found form I hope the nucleus of our team remains and we can build on this season and continue to improve our on-field results.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    I think sias is a confidence player. Foley has shown more faith in him this season and the team is more settled and sias is more settled within himself and the structures that the team has now developed. Ergo he is playing better.

10 has always been a bogey position for us - as well as our goal kicking, sais seems to be ticking both boxes at the moment.

I hope he resigns as well as Holmes. We desperately need some consistency at 10. With our new found form I hope the nucleus of our team remains and we can build on this season and continue to improve our on-field results.
    +1 for me on that!