Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: It's a bloody disaster

Champion
    vCash
    I apologise Buddha my info was incorrect although it was from a source I thought was reliable. Your description is more accurate, however the team has been suspended from playing for the rest of the season but only 1 player is actually suspended so the rest of the guys can finish the season playing 5th or 2nd grade .
    Not too sure how that one works.
    The ref in his report states that he feared for his life but yet still managed to have a few beers in the clubrooms after the game

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by westies man; 24-07-14 at 21:39.
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    Not sure where u get your info from Westie but it is completely false. Sorry to disappoint but there were no all in brawls or fighting at all. Yes roodogs have had 2 players suspended but that is for telling the ref what they thought of him (which I don't condone). Last week vs Uni the ref dished out 5 cards to roodogs players and had to call off the game as there were only 11 left on the field. Of these cards only 1 was justified. The other 4 were for offside and alleged high tackles/shoulder charges. All supporters and the Uni players were shocked at what was taking place. Rugbywa must have realized Wanneroo were a chance of getting a team into the finals so had to intervene
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    I apologise Buddha my info was incorrect although it was from a source I thought was reliable. Your description is more accurate, however the team has been suspended from playing for the rest of the season but only 1 player is actually suspended so the rest of the guys can finish the season playing 5th or 2nd grade .
    Not too sure how that one works.
    The ref in his report states that he feared for his life but yet still managed to have a few beers in the clubrooms after the game
    Exactly the ref sat down 10 metres from the Wanneroo 4th grade players drinking for another 2 hours after the game looking very smug.

Have just heard about the team suspension and hopefully it will be appealed. The actions of 1 or 2 players should not bring down a whole team. Teams have all
    In brawls and don't face this kind of punishment.

Rookie
    vCash
    Bloody dirty wanneroo bastards...

vCash
    To clarify,

The referee feared for the safety of the other teams players, not for his own safety. That was clarified.

After a nasty High tackle which saw a player taken to hospital for neck injuries (and who is thankfully ok) the team then continued to put in heavy illegal tackles. There was then a punch where the referee warned the Wanneroo captain that an continuance and they would abandon the game. There was then another high tackle/shoulder charge which was worse than the original that had seen a player taken to hospital and the referee rightfully did what he said he would do.

For a referee our priorities are Safety, Equity & then Law. UWA were trying to play rugby and Wanneroo were not. If the referee had already warned, and a very serious injury occurred, the referee would be taken to court for negligence.

If you believe accounts that only 1 card was deserved, but yet RWA have suspended the team based on just the referees report, you are delusional. RWA would have received reports from various sources, and must have verified the issues to take such a harsh action.

Yes, rugby is a contact sport, and yes, accidents happen and people can get hurt, but where a team have 'lost it' and are continuing to play illegally which endangers the safety of other players, the referee has no choice but to abandon.

I will also add, that illegal behavior on a rugby pitch is not exempt from legal proceedings either. And players should remember that sometimes.

WARURA Referee
    I do it because I love the game.

Veteran
    vCash
    There is always more to it than what gets said initially.

And there is always the ref bashing.

I am not involved with the politics of Wannaroo v RWA, But i have played in and watched some games where all the guys wanna do is put in late hits and throw punches.

This sort of shit is not on - and good on the ref for working with what he had and then if RWA has had complaints (and i would put money that this is not the first issue with the team) then they took action.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Sponsors day at Wests along with members of local government and Stirling councillors will be asking where the hell is everybody after we are down to 2 games on Sat.
    Season is going to end the way it started.
    And that is my gripe, it is due to circumstances beyond anyone's control but we are going to look pretty ordinary never the less

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Veteran
    vCash
    And that is my gripe, it is due to circumstances beyond anyone's control but we are going to look pretty ordinary never the less
    Are you suggesting that they let them play for one more game? So that you look good by adding 50% more games to your sponsors day?

I realise that you aren't, but i am not sure who your gripe is with? or perhaps you are more pissed off than have a gripe? Perhaps the gripe should be aimed at Wanneroo 4th's for dicking around.

It would seem that RWA and the Ref should not be the target of your frustrations - they are just the easiest targets.

vCash
    I believe WM is just pointing at it being more on top of what has already been a difficult season for clubs with teams being all over the place. Most clubs takings will be significantly down.

Hopefully we'll be back to a 10 team Prem next year and the issues will be in the past.

WARURA Referee

Champion
    vCash
    One player has been suspended but the whole team has been penalised, the remaining players are free to continue playing because they haven't been suspended although the team has.
    Either you are eligible to play because you are not suspended or you can not play because you have been suspended after appearing before the judiciary and copped a punishment, which is it.
    Think back a few weeks ago when I posted about your own club and the shit I witnessed a few of your players put in,it
    doesn't mean the whole lot are meatheads.
    RWA have nothing to do with this and I never said they did as the judiciary are independent.
    I don't know this ref but only conveying what I was told by a well respected person that had read the match report.
    Yes we would have liked more games to look good for our last home game in front of people who have a say in funding for our redevelopment but again as I already posted it is beyond anyone's control.
    Not too sure why you think the ref and RWA are the easy target of my frustrations as I challenge you to find a post where I've bagged a ref, RWA on the other hand will be awaiting my end of season review on club rugby with intrepid anticipation.

Last edited by westies man; 25-07-14 at 14:49.

vCash
    dp

Last edited by zed; 25-07-14 at 15:33.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyRef View Post

There was then a punch where the referee warned the Wanneroo captain that an continuance and they would abandon the game.
    This was a response to a high tackle from a UWA player, which was not dealt with by the referee

There was then another high tackle/shoulder charge which was worse than the original that had seen a player taken to hospital and the referee rightfully did what he said he would do.
    The high tackle was on a UWA player that had punched players on 3 separate occasions and on those 3 separate occasions the referee neglected to punish said player. This does not justify a high tackle, but it's important that all facts are presented.

For a referee our priorities are Safety, Equity & then Law. UWA were trying to play rugby and Wanneroo were not.
    This is not true. Both teams were guilty of foul play

RWA would have received reports from various sources, and must have verified the issues to take such a harsh action.
    Correct. They received and accepted reports from the referee as well as numerous UWA affiliated sources. Additionally relevant reports and statements from Wanneroo sources were not accepted. Therefore a full unbiased report was never presented to the judiciary.

Yes Wanneroo were guilty of foul play, but so were UWA. Incidents were not dealt with adequately and effectively by the referee. Ultimately he was unable to control the game and lacked the skill, professionalism and temperament to deal with the specific issues he faced. This is something a qualified referee should be able to do. He failed in this regard. And one could argue his inaction, inconsistency and general ineptitude merely exacerbated the problems. There were many inconsistencies in the referees report, ranging from inaccuracies to blatant lies, all of which was accepted by the judiciary who additionally refused to listen to specific and relevant statements presented by Wanneroo. I'm loathe to denigrate the judiciary lest I sound like an embittered Wanneroo supporter, but really the decision to suspended the entire team really speaks volume for their ability to make sound decisions.

Last edited by zed; 25-07-14 at 17:04.

Champion
    vCash
    Appeal is being heard as we speak

Champion
    vCash
    Appeal successful, game is back on, big slices of humble pie will also be available at the bar tomorrow for those that were quick off the mark

Last edited by westies man; 25-07-14 at 16:35.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    so the honoured guests can look forward to seeing a bit of biffo tomorrow?

Last edited by brokendown gunfighter; 25-07-14 at 16:49.

vCash
    It is always a sad day when a team is disbanded, we want more rugby, not less. I'm confident RugbyWA will do the right thing.

Zed,

I believe you may have mis-read my first point zed. I said the referee clarified that they did not fear for their own safety, hence they would have been fine having a drink afterwards, Wanneroo is after all a very social club towards visiting teams and refs, I am assuming that with the ref staying, there was no difference even with the on field events. This is what makes rugby great.

The other points you make are I am sure from your own accounts, and may be correct. I have just stated the facts as reported to me.

You are a supporter, and as such will support your team. I know the referee personally and know them to be one of the most credible & honest people I have ever met, he has reported his side, and others have reported theirs, I would expect all to be given due consideration. I hope they are.

You state about punches being in retaliation, that is no excuse, even if the referee missed it. However, It seems highly unusual to me that a referee would miss all the infringements by one team and penalise all the infringements by the other. I'll let others decide for themselves.

To remove a whole team from the competition seems harsh, I agree, perhaps there has been previous issues with this team, I am not aware of any, but then I am not on the Judiciary.

You are also correct that I should have used 'Could" instead of "Would" in terms of a referee being sued, however the likelihood is not as rare as we would like these days, unfortunately. That's why we have to be appointed officially to referee the game, otherwise we are not covered if one of these incidents occurred.

As stated above, there is always two sides to every story.

WARURA Referee

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast