Thread: Kurtley Beale holding off on foot surgery

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Kurtley Beale holding off on foot surgery

AAP
    Darren Walton
    April 24, 2014, 9:10 am

Wallabies star Kurtley Beale has revealed he requires foot surgery to remove a bone spur but is holding off until the injury becomes unbearable.

Beale flew out for Auckland on Thursday morning with the NSW Waratahs and will line up against the Blues in Friday's Super Rugby showdown at Eden Park after being given the green light to play.

The midfield playmaker limped off before halftime in last week's win over the Bulls with what was thought to be a jarred ankle.

Beale, though, on Thursday admitted he'd played the first eight games of the season with a more sinister injury to his left - non-kicking - foot.

"There's a bit of a spur in there," he said.

"So obviously at the beginning of the season I always knew that there'd be a bit of pain here and there and it's just unfortunate that it got jarred a little bit more than it had in previous instances.

"Because I wasn't 100 per cent and couldn't continue the game, I just thought the rest would do it good.

"During the pre-season, I did a lot of running - hill running, long-distance running - and that just naturally kind of flared it up.

"So the medical staff have got different ways to help manage that - going back to icing and compression, and de-loading it helps a lot and that's what we've done this week and it's worked."

Beale said he "definitely" needed surgery that he expected to sideline him for four to six weeks "when I get a bit of time off".

"At the moment, the medical staff here (at the Waratahs) are doing a fine job at managing it and we've got a really good understanding there of how to approach it," he said.

"Depending on how it goes, I think we'll just take it week by week."

Unlike when the Australian Rugby Union intervened earlier this month and ruled fellow NSW star Israel Folau out of a Super Rugby match with a throat injury, Beale said he was only being guided by the Waratahs doctors.

"I know my body and how it copes with certain injuries and it's great how I can have a really good medical relationship here with the Tahs and it's pretty mutual," he said.

After stringing together eight straight games for the first time since 2011, the in-form Beale is desperate to avoid surgery for as long as possible.

But the 26-year-old knows he could be sidelined at any moment.

"You go into every game knowing that it could be risky. It's a contact sport," Beale said.

"It's just unfortunate that there is a minor problem there, but's it's managed - easily managed - and that's the best thing about it."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-foot-surgery/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    At melbiurne Beale would have taken the surgery

vCash
    If Ewan wants him he would or should be telling both him and the 'tahs to get it done ASAP.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I dont really care tbh. I am hoping he isnt considered as a key component in the wallabies back line. All this talk about him playing 12 for the wallabies is ridiculous. There are guys ahead of Beale at 10, 12 and 15. He might figure as a bench utility player but I prefer McCabe or lealo to play that role.
    I am of the opinion we wont win the bledisloe or rwc with him and quade.while they have their moments, ive seen enuff of their brain farts think theyre more of a liability especially when guys outside of them havent got a clue what they might do. Final straw was watching beale go off at his team mates at nib blaming them for stufing up his ridiculous plays.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoolly Doolly View Post
    All this talk about him playing 12 for the wallabies is ridiculous. There are guys ahead of Beale at 10, 12 and 15.
    really? Who?, whilst I agree with your general sentiments, and I don't think he's as essential to the Wallabies as Folau, this comment made me do a bit of a double take.

Who is ahead of Kurtley
    10 - this will be an interesting race. Quade for the Reds, he's been resurgent since Braindead Dick has hypnotized the rest of the team and seems to deserve a look, but Quade's not a smart man and is prone to brain farts. Foley for the Tahs, beats Kurtley to 10, 'nuff said. Hegarty for the Rebels, you have to be kidding, Sias for the Force, not eligible and Matty T for the Brums, I'd only put Toomua clearly ahead with Kurtley and Quade a dead head for second.

12 - a position where we have a vested interest. Kyle should get the call up this year if form is any indicator, but Kurtley has international experience, even I would admit Kurtley wins that race. For the Reds, well they've sucked so much that dicky has tried everybody in Queensland at 12 and still found no answers, would you pick Harris? Brums, Leelo would likely be your man, but maybe McCabe, I'd say Leelo is in front, McCabe behind. Rebels it's Inman, if he were to get a call up it'd be as a rookie and the Kyle rule would apply, added to which, he's a 13 being played at 12 because Ellison is a 13, he's fighting with AAC for a spot, not Kurtley.

15 - ok Folau is in front of him, daylight second. Reds, do they have a 15? I can't remember seeing anything good from that end of the team list for weeks, surely form suggests that they won't get in, let alone beat Kurtley. Brums, Mogg....well ahead (but worryingly fragile when fielding uncontested high balls this year) Force, Hayward, not eligible (I'm pretty sure) but the rookie thing would apply if he got in. Rebels, see the Reds.

So based upon my (probably biased) views, we are well covered at Fullback, but need a third but at 10 and 12 he's pretty much second on the list. I don't think he's essential, but we don't want him getting surgery during the Championship. I Reckon he'll be pushed to get it done during the June tests.

Not pushing it now is PR towards the Tahs medical staff because Link knows how many New South Welshmen are on the board which signs his pay checks.

C'mon the