Thread: Force field brainchild of Wessels

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force field brainchild of Wessels

The West Australian
    Nick Taylor The West Australian
    April 16, 2014, 6:55 am

By his own admission - and fortunately for the Western Force - senior assistant coach David Wessels was not much of a rugby player.

Had he been, it is unlikely he would be based in Perth and overseeing the Force's defence, which has proven the foundation for the team's five-game winning streak.

To say Wessels is highly regarded throughout the rugby community is an understatement.

He helped the Stormers become one of the most feared defensive outfits in Super Rugby and was at the Brumbies two years ago when they produced a defence that allowed fewer points than any side in the Australian conference.

"I was very hopeless as a player and realised I was probably better at speaking than I was at playing," Wessels said.

He started coaching under-age sides in South Africa, including the under-16 team at Rondebosch Boys' High School where he was mentored by former Springbok hooker Shaun Povey.

"I was lucky to be paired with him because my career probably got a bit accelerated. I was able to ride on his coat-tails a bit," Wessels said.

Two years ago he went to a presentation by another defence strategist, former rugby league international Les Kiss, who switched codes in 2001 and coached with Ireland, the Springboks and the Waratahs.

"I realised that there was a little bit more to defence than just running up and trying to tackle people," Wessels said.

"Defence is really like building a system. You can have as much tackle technique as you want, but it's putting people into position to make the tackle that's important.

"My real interest is trying to build the system around defence."

Wessels is reluctant to reveal too much, only saying the system he brought to the Force is unique.

"One of the things I find with our team is the guys are very athletic and very fit so we're focusing on making good decisions around the breakdown and getting on our feet and outworking the opposition," he said.

"It's not just guys getting up and filling in wherever they think. It is very easy to have big collisions early on in the game, but it's under fatigue where guys start making poor decisions.

"Our goal is to try and take much of the decision making out of it from a defensive perspective.

"Our guys work hard on a system that they understand and don't have to make too many decisions."

Wessels wants to ensure players who are good at certain types of contact are in the right areas. "We want props in the high-collision areas around the breakdown. We want the faster guys on the edge," he said.

"The challenge is how do you get from a set piece where all the players are and spread them out in a way that's beneficial?"

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ld-of-wessels/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Interesting stuff. Haven't really tried to analyse our D. I'm sure the all the other attack coaches are. Good to hear he thinks he still has the structure up his sleeve. Whatever, it seems to be working well. But most importantly the players are committed to it and each other completely. The evidence was clear in Chees's state on the sideline (what guts considering his medical condition). I also remember Hodgo winning a crucial penalty at the ruck late in the game. It was a momentum stopper and I was certain we had them from then. The skipper was absolutely running on empty at the time but sucked in the big ones and kept going. What we are seeing now has been worth the wait.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Veteran
    vCash
    How good is it to read continuously positive articles in the newspaper every day.

I purposely leave the paper open to the force article at work whenever i can.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    How good is it to read continuously positive articles in the newspaper every day.
    Winning games will do that

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Interesting stuff. Haven't really tried to analyse our D. I'm sure the all the other attack coaches are. Good to hear he thinks he still has the structure up his sleeve. Whatever, it seems to be working well. But most importantly the players are committed to it and each other completely. The evidence was clear in Chees's state on the sideline (what guts considering his medical condition). I also remember Hodgo winning a crucial penalty at the ruck late in the game. It was a momentum stopper and I was certain we had them from then. The skipper was absolutely running on empty at the time but sucked in the big ones and kept going. What we are seeing now has been worth the wait.
    Yeah saw Benny Mac right after the game and he was utterly spent too. Immense effort all round!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I don't think there was anyone not "sucking in the big ones" at the end.. Love those guys..

vCash
    Now say "nuclear wessels".

vCash
    10 Outta 10 for the boys every one was sucking big ones Saturday night Can't speak more highly of the boys

Go The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Now say "nuclear wessels".
    Does that mean he will not be welcome to visit Enzed?

vCash
    With the boys playing like that he won't be welcome anywhere. Surprise he got into Perth!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I really have to commend Wessels, Fowler and ALL of the Force staff for what they've done for the team this year! And it's not just about the winning but the whole turnaround in the Force boys mental approach. We all knew they had the ability it was just all in the head. In addition they are listening to us fans and taking on board our thoughts/opinions as well. I wish more professional corporations in Aus showed the same integrity.

vCash
    I also think the Names on the pajamas can also make a big difference as each player is giving his all to the sponsor he has following him...
    No doubt the way Rugby WA has set this up is a great thing I am right behind it... and there will be fierce competition for the PJ s next yr

I really think the attitude of all up front and behind the lads at Rugby WA have got a formula that is heading in the right direction... Maybe Emirates were not as great a name to play for as our lads were not individuals just a person wearing a jumper with a name many teams across the globe have.. Now they are true blue WA folks hanging around the necks of 15 warriors from the mighty WEST

Mental issue with the lads

The Force are all equal players with a few commanding a higher but reasonable pay cheque due to seniority so no infighting like the reds and warratahs...
    You Can't tell me when 4 to 5 players in a team get huge pay cheques for turning up and doing the same as the man next to him it don't hurt ya pride and when things go bad slack off or dont perform 100%

Last edited by Tonkar; 16-04-14 at 21:00.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I really have to commend Wessels, Fowler and ALL of the Force staff for what they've done for the team this year! And it's not just about the winning but the whole turnaround in the Force boys mental approach. We all knew they had the ability it was just all in the head. In addition they are listening to us fans and taking on board our thoughts/opinions as well. I wish more professional corporations in Aus showed the same integrity.
    Couldn't agree more Valzc... Even in my interview as Force No.1 fan I said the boys have to believe they can win.. and finally it's all coming to fruition.. Whatever RugbyWA and Foles and & co are doing just keep doing it.. the Sea of Blue are with you all the way..