Thread: Waratahs hoping to burst Force's bubble

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Waratahs hoping to burst Force's bubble

AAP
    Darren Walton
    April 8, 2014, 1:27 pm

With little wriggle room in a congested Australian conference, the NSW Waratahs are acutely aware of the importance of bursting the Western Force's bubble in Saturday's Super Rugby derby in Perth.

If ever there's an "eight-point" match, it will come at nib Stadium where the fourth-placed Waratahs can open up a potentially decisive break on the fifth-placed Force - or surrender their spot in Australia's top two to the WA surprise packets.

Approaching the halfway point of the competition, three Australian sides are positioned in the overall top five, with the Brumbies one point ahead of NSW, the Force another two points back and the Queensland Reds still well in the mix for a finals berth just a further two points adrift.

Away wins are the rarest commodity in 2014 and Waratahs coach Michael Cheika admits a victory over the Force in Perth would be priceless.

"Obviously it's an important game in the bigger picture of the comp, that's for sure," Cheika said on Tuesday.

"It's an away game and they have been so hard to win - across the board for any team - so if we can take a home game off one of our conference challengers, then it puts you in a good position.

"But we're very aware they're a team that's been on a roll and firing on all cylinders.

"It's going to be very difficult but the lads are feeling good and they're up for the challenge."

The Force are riding a club-record four-game winning streak, their last-up defeat of the Reds in Brisbane placing the Waratahs on high alert.

The Force have a habit of troubling the Tahs and even after losing to NSW in round one in Sydney, Cheika sensed they were in for a good year.

"It doesn't surprise me at all now to see them winning because they've got a good team with x-factor players, guys who can make a break, score tries and create something out of nothing," he said.

"They've got a bit of edge around their forward pack and they work hard.

"They'll always have a good set piece with Michael Foley as coach, so they've got the basis there of a very successful formula."

Cheika is once again hopeful that Wallabies fullback Israel Folau will return this weekend after missing both matches in South Africa with a throat injury.

"He'll train today. He's just got to get through his contact work well and he should be okay," he said.

Beating the Stormers in Cape Town without Folau, who bagged eight tries in his first four games this campaign, was particularly pleasing for the Waratahs on Sunday when Kurtley Beale excelled as his fill-in.

Against the Force, the Waratahs must win without another Wallaby star after No.8 Wycliff Palu returned to Sydney on Tuesday for further treatment for an ankle injury.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...forces-bubble/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I am missing my first Force home game ever this weekend.....I will be in the eastern states with my dad who is a Waratahs supporter. I am hoping his birthday wish is not a Waratahs win.

vCash
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the Force have never defeated the Tahs here in Perth

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the Force have never defeated the Tahs here in Perth
    about time we did then

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    about time we did then
    Never a better opportunity than the upcoming game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    We are breaking club records all over the place..this is going to be another..

vCash
    Of all the teams we will play, I dearly want to beat the tahs more than anyone else

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I've always felt there has been a bit of a subconscious inferiority complex/mental block to the Force beating the 'Tahs, and strangely more so at home than away. I doubt there could ever be a better time for that to break and for them to prove they are nobody's middle child. You get the feeling that mental step is there to be taken...now is the moment.

vCash
    It's very interesting to hear these comments about the Tahs.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Oh it would be so sweet to win - a star team beating a team of stars!
    We are up against a good team but we are in with a real chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Of all the teams we will play, I dearly want to beat the tahs more than anyone else
    Is it shallow that I felt exactly the same way this time a week ago?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Me too GIGS!!

vCash
    The Tahs beat one of the bottom teams last week, however they will need to improve when playing the Force. The Force scrum may not be as big, but it is functioning as a unit and I rate our front row over the theirs. Our backs aren't as flashy, but they are good in defense and take opportunities when they arise. With all the hype about the Australian conference hopefully the Tahs will feel pressured and as a consequence make mistakes that we can exploit.

vCash
    Cheese will give the guys a talking to ensuring a win for Alison's birthday if for no other reason