Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nick Cummins says he almost went to the mines before his talent for hunting ‘meat’ wa

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Nick Cummins says he almost went to the mines before his talent for hunting ‘meat’ wa

By Jim Tucker Rugby Union
    The Courier-Mail
    April 03, 2014 10:30PM

NEVER devalue wild-haired winger Nick Cummins as a mere curiosity when his infectious intensity is what makes the Western Force such a danger.

The machine gun-fire of wacky one-liners from the “Honey Badger” may provoke laughter, but he should always be respected for what he can do.

Cummins will say he is a winger with no sidestep. He has less need of one when trampling over opponents to reach the tryline is his thing.

“I reckon you have to put a presence in front of your opponent, a bit of confidence and attitude and then you can change what their next move may be,” is part of the Cummins textbook on wing play.

There will be no greater collision of different wing styles than at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow night. “Holy tomorrow,” as Cummins would say.

Cummins is all eye-bulging directness while his Queensland Reds rival Rod Davies is all fast footwork and elusive speed.

Few realise Cummins got his first taste of the physical game on the tough school fields of Logan where he learnt to tackle “a bunch of big buggers”.

Life could have turned out very differently than his cult following after 12 Tests and seven seasons as a Force favourite.

“I was either going to go the mines, the army … or rugby in Sydney (at Randwick),” Cummins said of his almost accidental start thanks to a shrewd talent spotter.

New Force wing mate Luke Morahan has seen Cummins up close and understands the work he puts in.

“There is never anything quiet about him but he’s no-nonense the way he goes about his preparation and playing,’’ Morahan said.

“He runs hard, tackles hard, competes hard. He’s everything a good winger should be.’’

The Kiwis can’t get enough of his “Badgerisms” since his classic sideline interview from the Hurricanes-Force game went viral with more than 240,000 views on YouTube.

Cummins explained afresh that his Avatar-style connection with the fierce African carnivore stems from a honey badger once killing a lion by “clawing the canastas off the big fella”.

English scribes were bewildered when Cummins scored his first Test try at Twickenham in 2012. “What have we got here?” they asked in unison.

“I just saw the line, pinned me ears back and ended up bagging a bit of meat in the corner there,” Cummins said.

Aussies swiftly translated “bit of meat” into “meat pie” and rhyming slang for “try” but the Brits were still fumbling.

Cummins’ proud father Mark says his knockabout son is true to who he is.

Along with the passionate chat “he is not a player who’ll ever dog it,” Cummins Sr said.

Even Force fans are into the act now with banners to show their support for a player who is enlivening rugby talk beyond scrum binding discussions and boring breakdown chat.

Some wit at Suncorp Stadium will top the best banner so far: “Honey Badger … Going Off Like A Raw Prawn.”

BEST OF THE BADGER

“Sweatin’ like a gypsy with a mortgage, actually.”

“I just saw the line, pinned me ears back and ended up bagging a bit of meat in the corner there, which was tops”

“My old man was going off like a bag of cats.”

“I was busier than a one-armed bricklayer in Baghdad.”

“You’ve got to show the passion of the Dalai Lama.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...-1226873954326

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I hope that the PR people of RugbyWA are keeping a close eye on the Badger.

Please don't misunderstand my concern - I think that he is funny and great for our exposure to the bigger market, but if we don't restrict his exposure now people are going to get sick of him very quickly.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Restrict his exposure while here at Force, then he leaves us and the team he goes to gets the benefit from us holding him back, I don't think so Ex, the more the merrier IMHO.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I hope that the PR people of RugbyWA are keeping a close eye on the Badger.

Please don't misunderstand my concern - I think that he is funny and great for our exposure to the bigger market, but if we don't restrict his exposure now people are going to get sick of him very quickly.
    i understand what you mean leave people wanting more.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    i understand what you mean leave people wanting more.
    I totally agree wi

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Rugby really doesn't get enough coverage to risk overexposure, Nick Cummins is hardly plastered over the newspapers like certain players from other codes, the recent exposure he has been receiving is good for him, the force and rugby union.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    I totally agree wi
    you just won the internet for today

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Spot on Tocc

I say we make Cummins the town crier

Attachment 2832
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    hear yee hear yee

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I thought he was just being himself- obviously turning it on a bit, but fundamentally being himself. Dunno if you can ask someone to be themselves less often, they might find it a little insulting...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I believe that Nick is being himself - But, I guess the point I was trying to make - Badly - was that I would hope that RugbyWA will filter the interview requests for so that he doesn't risk over-exposure.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I said a couple of weeks ago "Don't kill the goose Nick". Still reckon that. Leave them wanting more is good advice. I love the bloke but "too much is never enough" is not good advice with a fickle media and non-original one liners. (ducks)

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I believe that Nick is being himself - But, I guess the point I was trying to make - Badly - was that I would hope that RugbyWA will filter the interview requests for so that he doesn't risk over-exposure.
    I kinda understand what you're saying. But what [negative] happens if he is over-exposed?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I sort of agree but what the hell. He's the sort of guy that if he puts his foot in it will dig it out. Re the Gallipoli diggers.
    I think if the management make a point of him not appearing after every match that should do it. And you have to remember, if you have meet him, he's not a bloody idiot! Defiantly got more gray matter than most!
    Go the Badge!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Agree SNOB!! Cheers! to the Badger.. Love him for being him..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast