Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: $8m payout over nib Stadium

vCash
    Do the research Ali, no stadium in Australia actually deploys its operable (that's the official term, 'operable') seating for matches. I don't blame the AFL for this, because Telstra Stadium in Sydney is exactly the same, they will only ever expose the oval sections begrudgingly and after lots of cajoling by the AFL.

The other issue is that the moveable seats are usually only in the bowl, leaving the higher seats to be the same distance away from the game.

However the biggest issue with seating differences between the codes is the fact that Oval sports (let's face it, there's one) the action is above the ground, with all the exciting stuff, marks, and long kicks being fairly high, rectangular sports, on the other hand take place much closer to the ground. This mightn't sound like much of a difference, but it makes a huge difference to the angle of offset of the rows of seats. Rugby and soccer require much steeper amphitheatres, because spectators want more of a birds eye view (at least the ones that want to sit high do) whereas AFL requires a much flatter bowl, because people want more of a side-on spectacle, where they can see the ball in flight and players making a play at it.

This will never be solved adequately for both sports and therefore RugbyWA should respectfully tell Tuck Waldron to shove his offer up his GAYFL loving ass, keep their stadium (even offer to buy it) and only use the big field for Wallabies games (with similar restrictions to those that Andy suggested for failing to reconfigure the ground)

#weneedtokeepourcorners

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Couldn't agree more GIGS. In fact if I had to go back to an AFL stadium for Force matches I'd probably lapse my membership. I know corporate facilities wpuld be better but that does not help my game day experience. There were quite a few who said the game would quickly outgrow NIB. That has not come come to pass and looks a fair way off. Stick with our corners, let the AFL and their mates in WA politics and public service do what they like at Burswood. If the weight of numbers for Football, Rugby and League grow enough to mount a case for further development at NIB, most of the current pollies will be enjoying their fat retirement provisions.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    No need to spend time doing research when I've got you GIGS ;-p

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The govement has a job for ya mates contracting system and they all have get out rich clauses... I thought tenders meant ya get what ya want for the agreed price but not pur goverment lets do a change later so the mates can get more...

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

New questions over stadium deal

The West Australian
    EXCLUSIVE Gareth Parker State Political Editor The West Australian
    April 4, 2014, 2:51 am

Sports Minister Terry Waldron instructed VenuesWest not to try and negotiate a better deal with Nick Tana’s Allia Venue Management after the agency and the Department of Sport and Recreation expressed concerns that taxpayers’ interests were not being adequately protected.

The Barnett Government yesterday failed to fully explain why it included a termination clause in a heads of agreement deal that allowed Allia to walk away from its management contract of nib Stadium 10 years early, and also be paid out $8 million by taxpayers, as revealed by The West Australian.

Sports Minister Terry Waldron yesterday failed to address a query from Labor MLA Rita Saffioti about why it would agree to such a clause.

“We considered Allia to be a good operator,” Mr Waldron told Parliament.

Asked by The West Australian why the Government would include such a clause in the Allia deal, Mr Waldron said it was because “necessary to get the agreement of all parties so that we could progress the issue” of the $95 million stadium redevelopment.

Allia had an existing deal to manage the stadium with the Town of Vincent, which owned Perth Oval, but the State Government had announced a redevelopment and needed to renegotiate the stadium’s governance arrangements.

With negotiations over the heads of agreement on-going in April 2011, VenuesWest chief executive David Etherington revealed in an email, obtained by Labor under Freedom of Information, that Mr Waldron had instructed him and VenuesWest chairman Graham Partridge not to try and get a better deal for the State.

“(A)t our meeting with the Minister yesterday, Graham Partridge and I were advised by the Minister that the decision had been made to continue with (Allia’s management) of nib Stadium for the foreseeable future,” Mr Etherington wrote. “Any consideration of paying (Allia) out would not be for many years, if it even eventuated before their 13-14 years (contract duration) are up.

“(Mr Waldron) also advised us that the decision had been made to in essence go with a very similar HoA to the one that is currently in place, without any complicated negotiations about improving the State’s position etc. Graham and I … advised that these two decisions obviously meant that the State wouldn’t see as much net benefit directly from the redevelopment because the operational and management costs … would be considerably higher than they otherwise might have been. The minister advised that the decision had been made to just get on with it and not unduly delay things.”

Ms Saffitoi said taxpayers had been taken for a ride.

“How on earth did the Premier and the Minister agree to such a silly and reckless deal that exposes WA taxpayers to such financial risk,” she said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/2...-stadium-deal/

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    you're in a fantasy land if you ever thought the AFL would allow retractable seating for a rectangle pitch to interrupt it's H&A season. Look at the hissy fits they chuck over having a test on a Saturday and they play on Sunday - when all they have to do it paint grass and swap posts.

At the end of the day I don't give a shit about the $8m .. we spent $95m on a stadium redevelopment - so now the price is a tad over $100m - big fucking deal. We have a great ground and much better rugby viewing!

#firstworldproblems

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    and not to mention a ground that was promised as a part of the bid when we first won it before Alan Carpenter's mob shafted us

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    a Labor promise quietly forgotten. Anyway time to move on

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2