Thread: Reds braced for Force warfare

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Reds braced for Force warfare

AAP
    Jim Morton
    March 30, 2014, 5:53 pm

Queensland forecast Western Force warfare as they brace for their toughest Super Rugby battle yet.
    AAP Queensland forecast Western Force "warfare" as they brace for their toughest Super Rugby battle yet.

Queensland are expecting Western Force "warfare" by admitting they're braced for their toughest Super Rugby battle of the season on Saturday night.

The abrasive Force travel to Brisbane looking to create franchise history with a maiden fourth straight win and Reds halfback Will Genia is under no illusions what awaits his team at their Suncorp Stadium fortress.

Queensland recorded their 29th win from their past 34 games at home with a much-needed 22-17 victory over the injury-hit, beseiged Stormers.

It was a gritty, grinding triumph which required the sort of guts and determination in close-quarters combat that Genia and skipper James Horwill believes is essential to topple the Force.

They will be the toughest team we've played this year on the back of the fact they're playing good rugby and have had good results but they always tend to lift for this game, the Wallabies halfback said.

"Traditionally because of the rivalry and the history they tend to get up for this game.

They play grinding style of footy so we have to make sure we get our heads around that and be ready for that sort of warfare."

The two teams have a bitter history, borne out of the Force raiding Queensland's playing stocks before their 2006 competition debut.

The Perth team also haven't forgotten that Genia had agreed to terms on a big deal in 2012 in what was set to be a stunning defection before an even more astounding backflip.

At the time Richard Graham was the Force coach and Nick Stiles was his assistant. Both are with the Reds now, while Genia remains the influential vice-captain.

The Force have rarely given Queensland an easy game and took the honours at Suncorp last year when Alby Mathewson outpointed the hounded Genia for a 19-12 upset.

They also held the 2011 champions to an 11-11 draw in the return clash in Perth.

Force coach and ex-Queensland hooker Michael Foley will have the visitors' primed after a bye and will have star scrum-base duo Ben McCalman and Mathewson back from light suspensions.

It may be a hostile environment in Brisbane next weekend, but Stormers captain Jean de Villiers expects his side's return to Cape Town may be worse ahead of their clash with NSW.

Stormers coach Allister Coetzee is under the gun after a fourth straight loss and former Springboks assistant coach Gert Smal appointed as a new director of rugby.

De Villiers backed Coetzee and called for the Western Cape officials to take their enormous injury toll and competitiveness on the road into account.

"I just hope everything will be seen in perspective and taken into consideration," the Springbok centre said. "We have been unlucky with injury and it's not as though we've been playing terrible rugby."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...force-warfare/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    OUR TEAM IS NOTHING LIKE WHEN DICKIE LEFT, SO HE CERTAINLY WON'T HAVE any
    "INSIDE INFORMATION"...... C'ARN THE FORCE..

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Genias back flip due to the fact that droopy Dick told little Willy that all the coaches were leaving and going to Queensland.
    I bet he now wishes he'd moved!

May the FORCE be with you!

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm glad Genia didn't come. We got Alby!

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Glad the Genia deal fell through in the end. Apart from the small fortune we were reported to throw at him, he really hasn't recaptured his form of a couple of years ago. Alby has been far more consistent.

vCash
    I have just been informed by a very reliable source that due to the horrendous draw and onerous travel schedule the Force have decided to send over the Force A team to face the Reds this weekend. This comes on the back of multiple trips east to play single matches and then return home which has taken its told on the player’s welfare.

They had hoped that the bye would give the players enough time to recuperate following the tough start to the year but the medial staffs have advised that this is not the case and several players will need a further week to recover.

They also believe and have been told by many a learned rugby brain that the match is all but lost and drawing on past experiences have targeted next weeks match against a vulnerable Tahs on their way home from a gruelling South African campaign.

This strategy was successfully employed last year when Force was forced to face another star studded team who plays in Red and then back it up against the Tahs. The strategy of saving their top players for the Tahs match and sending out a seconds squad against the team in Red worked so well last year they have decided to give it another go.

Interesting stuff force hopefully they come home with the goods.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    You talking about the Crusaders

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I wish midday comes soon!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Anyone know a station that will be streaming the match? My grandson's birthday this Saturday. Better timing than last season where we missed a home game. But I have to take care of my little prop.
    I posted that in another thread. So I'll just clarify that I meant an internet RADIO stream.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I posted that in another thread. So I'll just clarify that I meant an internet RADIO stream.
    Keep an eye on round 8 commentary here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    Keep an eye on round 8 commentary here
    Thanks.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    You got me Gaffa!! Hook, line and sinker!! Can I bill you for the doctor's fee I incurred to get my heart re-started?!!

vCash
    Hahahahaha - NOT!!!

vCash
    After reading the Pocock saga on another thread..I just knew it was bullS^&^%$#!!!