Thread: Champion Chiefs missing right attitude in Perth

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Champion Chiefs missing right attitude in Perth

CHRIS BARCLAY
    Last updated 05:00 24/03/2014

The inflight entertainment was unlikely to be a priority for the Chiefs management team as the defending Super Rugby champions headed for South Africa after their horror show against a history-seeking Western Force in Perth yesterday.

Dave Rennie and his assistants Wayne Smith and Tom Coventry had plenty to ponder on the journey from Perth to Johannesburg - an expedition that got under way shortly after the Force stunned the back-to-back title holders 18-15 at nib Stadium.

Studying a video footage of the Chiefs' shoddy effort was probably a priority and would confirm what the trio witnessed - a performance littered with unforced errors, handling lapses and an alarming turnover rate.

The Chiefs lineout, regarded pre-match as the most unreliable in the competition - also had it's anxious moments but arguably the major concern was the players' inability to thwart the Force's rolling mauls, at least legally.

Matt Hodgson's double - the only five-pointers of a match that saw the Chiefs held tryless in Australia for the first time since 2001 in Canberra - were both instigated by close range mauls that fragmented the Chiefs defence.

Hodgson peeled off one formation in the 12th minute and was on hand again five minutes into the second half when another well-executed drive culminated in a touchdown for the impressive openside flanker and captain.

Undoubtedly the Bulls, spearheaded by one of the most abrasive forward units in the competition, will have taken note of a tactic that contributed to former All Black prop Jamie Mackintosh being yellow carded late in the first half as they basked in the afterglow of their own success - a 23-19 win in Durban that ended the Sharks unbeaten run hours after the Chiefs slumped to their first loss.

Perth has proved a difficult stopover for Kiwi teams in recent seasons - the Crusaders were pipped 16-14 on the way back from South Africa last season - and the much-maligned Australian franchise replicated that glorious night to enhance Michael Foley's rebuild.

"There's great belief in this group now," said Hodgson, after the Force backed up a dramatic two-point win in Dunedin in the previous round with another defiant defensive effort.

The Force hung on against the Highlanders despite finishing the game with 13 players and they also had to show resilience against the Chiefs given Ben McCalman was suspended and fellow loose forward Hugh McMeniman withdrew at halftime with a shoulder injury.

Rennie, who labelled the Chiefs effort in the opening leg of a three-match road trip as "poor", watched as his side were ponderous out of the blocks and never really threatened to breach the Force's defensive screen until late in the final quarter.

Knock-ons by Gareth Anscombe and Tim Nanai-Williams - who also sabotaged another promising thrust when joining a forward drive - undermined what would have been a remarkable escape.

The Chiefs committed 10 handling errors and conceded 20 turnovers - crippling statistics in a closely-fought encounter.

"We just made far too many errors. It's hard to believe we led at halftime because we hardly fired a shot. We're a better side than that," said Rennie.

"Even mentally we didn't look that sharp."

Co-captain Aaron Cruden agreed.

"The attitude wasn't there right from the start. The Force got the bounce on us and it probably flowed right through the game," the pivot said.

"Guess we weren't there mentally."

The Chiefs at least secured a bonus point and remain top of the New Zealand conference and third overall heading into a tough assignment at Loftus Versfeld and then a clash with the struggling Cheetahs in Bloemfontein.

Encouragingly All Blacks lock Brodie Retallick was prominent around the park and Richie McCaw's understudy Sam Cane made a solid season debut on the openside flank.

Meanwhile, the Force - who have a bye this week - are seeking a record-equalling fourth straight win in Brisbane on April 5 after winning three in a row for the first time since 2007.

"I'm absolutely thrilled for the blokes. The amount of character shown out there against a champion side was outstanding," Foley said.

However, that satisfaction was tempered yesterday by news that former All Black halfback Alby Mathewson has been cited for stamping on Cane at a breakdown in the third minute - an offence that warranted a red card according to a statement issued by Sanzar.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...itude-in-Perth

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'd be happier about our prowess at the rolling maul if it (or anyone's for that matter) were legal. I really hate that sliding bind, but I guess you play the game you are given...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I really hate that sliding bind, but I guess you play the game you are given...
    if every 'sole judge of matters of law' interprets it the same, I'd say it's one of the best reffed components of our game.

C'mon the

vCash
    I panicked for a second there, I thought it was going to say

"Chiefs missing right attitude due to food poisoning"

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    A mate of mine owns the new Riverside Bar & Café (formerly Bells at Barrack Street Jetty) and he had the entire squad, about 35 or so, in for "morning tea" on Saturday. He said they emptied the muffin and cake cabinet and plan on returning on future tours.

If you're down that way check it out

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    A mate of mine owns the new Riverside Bar & Café (formerly Bells at Barrack Street Jetty) and he had the entire squad, about 35 or so, in for "morning tea" on Saturday. He said they emptied the muffin and cake cabinet and plan on returning on future tours.

If you're down that way check it out
    That's a tradition all Force fans hope they keep up then!

May the FORCE be with you!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I panicked for a second there, I thought it was going to say

"Chiefs missing right attitude due to food poisoning"

WHAT that bloody Suzi is back

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.