Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: F1 is back!!! And this amazing video from Red Bull explains the tech changes....

vCash
    What a load of wank

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    They have a fuel limit this year (140 kg, I think). But the article says there is also a limit of 100 kg/hr.

If he didn't exceed the total fuel limit (which is not what he has been said to have done), does this mean he uses too much fuel when accelerating? That's re-cock-ulous!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    There is a race limit of 100kg (about 135 litres) and the maximum flow rate into the engine is 100kg per hour. Most races take about 1 1/2 hours. The drivers/teams have to constantly review their fuel usage during the race and utilize the energy recovery system (hybrid technology) to make up the shortfall - they have two thirds less fuel than before (granted, they are smaller engines)

Ricciardo was talking about the constant tweaking, of putting his foot down (fuel) on some laps, then easing off on a few laps and use the stored power - recharging the batteries and then using them again etc.

The officials have access to the fuel flow data of each car during the race. Seems Red Bull had a dodgy fuel meter(s) both during the practices (which they had to replace) and during the race.

While I applaud the hybrid change, I think things have got way to complicated and it'll suck if Ricciardo gets disqualified through no fault of his own ie, driving skill, fuel management - he's only as good as the equipment he's using.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I have loved F1 for more years than I can remember. I remember the years that you lost one or two drivers a year! "Permantly"
    I applaud the changes that have been made to make it safer. I also like the idea that F1 technology should be leaking through to every day motors. But making the whole thing a computer game! Come on! Driver drives! Short of petrol- advance to garage!
    It's a bloody hard game with lots of risks let the drivers drive but the idea that they have to manage how many ltrs per hour sounds crazy. I know it's supposed to be managed by the team manager et all, but what we want to see is the best driver.
    No matter what happens our Perth based Western Australian was bloody blinding and deserves second place.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Sb, if you only have enough fuel for 1 hour of a 1 1/2 hour race, why would anybody in their right mind care about the liters per minute? Surely using the fuel too fast will have negative effects, ie you will be running on low battery and using less power, or you will run out of power completely and fail to finish.

Sounds like a load of wank to me.

C'mon the

vCash
    Agree Sinbin - wayyyy too complicated. And too little time in the off season for teams and drivers to assimilate so many complicated changes all at once. Heck, before the race on Sun we weren't even sure if half the field would even finish! That's crazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Sb, if you only have enough fuel for 1 hour of a 1 1/2 hour race, why would anybody in their right mind care about the liters per minute? Surely using the fuel too fast will have negative effects, ie you will be running on low battery and using less power, or you will run out of power completely and fail to finish. Sounds like a load of wank to me.
    I think it's more ideological. F1's been seen as a gas guzzling no expense spared sport and they want to show they're serious about using the KERS hybrid technology.

Red Bull have explained the reasons behind it as follows:

Hybrid systems

How it worked in 2013: 60kW KERS Motor-Generator Unit providing additional power for approx 6.6 seconds per lap

How it works now: 120kw MGU-K providing additional power for approx 33 seconds per lap.

Why the change? F1 wants 2014 cars to have the same performance as the V8s. The smaller engines produce less power so the cars need a bigger energy recovery operation to make up the shortfall. The new cars feature two recovery systems (ERS-K and ERS-H) and can supply 10 times as much energy per lap – but because the motor is twice as powerful, the hybrid system only supplies power for five times as long.

Fuel

How it worked in 2013: You put as much fuel in the car as you wanted and burnt it as fast as you could.

How it works now: There is a race limit of 100kg, and the maximum flow rate into the engine is 100kg per hour.

Why the change? New F1 is all about efficiency. This limit guarantees cars will be using about two-thirds less fuel. It’s such a simple message even the F1 press can understand it. The fuel flow limit, on the other hand, is there to stop teams getting too exotic with their ideas.

Link

Red Bull are going to appeal.

vCash
    They have no chance on appeal. The only way they are going to be Successful is If the Sensors were Broken, Which I read Somewhere was the case.But we will have to see.

vCash
    They'd had issues with sensors over the whole weekend and the FIA told them to put the sensor they were using before the race (during either practice or qualifying) back into the car. Red Bull Team Boss didn't follow that order and put a new sensor in the car - in good faith - but it wasn't approved by the FIA so I think that's the problem.

Different codes, but I'd hate to see F1 turn into a legal playfield like the Americas Cup has. Incidentally, who also found yesterday's race dead boring. If it wasn't for our local boy I think a lot of viewers would have switched channels/cleaned the car..

vCash
    I did SinBin. The first few minutes were exciting but after that, boring.....

I can't really see that changing though, can you??

vCash
    No I can't see it changing either. We need some controversy between drivers like the Schuey days! Everything's way too nice and sanitised.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    Incidentally, who also found yesterday's race dead boring. If it wasn't for our local boy I think a lot of viewers would have switched channels/cleaned the car..
    I would have changed channels if Ricciardo was no chance of a place

There is a 12th Man quote to sum it up

vCash
    For the record,
    Moto GP is better

vCash
    Yep, sanitised is a good word for it :-(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2