Thread: Candidates queue for Genia's Wallaby spot

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Candidates queue for Genia's Wallaby spot

AAP
    Ben Horne
    March 5, 2014, 9:18 am

The battle for the Wallabies halfback role is shaping as the most intense in years following Luke Burgess' impressive return from France.

Incumbent Will Genia can ill afford another form dip like that which cost him his spot for two Tests last year, with fellow capped No.9s Burgess, Nic White and Nick Phipps all challenging in the run toward the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

Burgess' aggressive running game, a key factor in the Melbourne Rebels' handsome Super Rugby season-opening win over the Cheetahs, is sure to have caught Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie's eye.

White, a slick allround organiser and performer for the Brumbies, was Genia's back up and occasional replacement under McKenzie in 2013.

And Phipps, the back up under former coach Robbie Deans, looks set to present a renewed challenge following his move from the Rebels to the in-form Waratahs, where he's sparkled behind a steamrolling forward pack.

As Phipps summed up the halfback battle: "Thank God (Western Force halfback) Alby Mathewson is a Kiwi."

But Phipps is following same sage advice from McKenzie as the best way to press his claims.

"There's so much competition, which is why Ewen is talking about how much he wants the (Super Rugby) teams to perform well and then selections will come off the back of that," said Phipps.

"Hopefully I can just keep chipping in for the 'Tahs doing the best I can and getting a few more wins on the board. Then hopefully things will take care of itself.

"It's funny seeing people already talking about how they want to make the Wallabies.

"That's an absolute dream for me and everyone, but at the moment we're only round two of 16 (in Super Rugby).

Phipps was forced out of Melbourne due to Burgess' return to Australian rugby, but has described it as a blessing in disguise.

With the monster Waratahs pack surging forward and his combinations with playmakers Bernard Foley and Kurtley Beale also blossoming, Phipps has backed himself with his running game to great success - cutting through the Queensland Reds last Saturday night.

"I've always loved running the ball," he said. "I want to keep the team on the front foot."

Phipps still nominated Genia as the Wallabies halfback benchmark, despite outpointing the Queenslander in the Waratahs' record 32-5 win at ANZ Stadium.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...-wallaby-spot/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    you never know, Ian Prior might be looking to stake a claim in this battle sooner or later.

At the moment, I'd rate Genia behind Phipps (and everybody knows what I think of Phipps) It's easy to play halfback when you have a pack that is destroying everything put before them. Try playing Scrumhalf when the pack is mewling like newborn kittens......that is more likely what the Wallabies scrumhalf needs to be good at.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    ........that is more likely what the Wallabies scrumhalf needs to be good at.
    I take it youre referring to Dingo Bobs Wallabies. The current model holds more promise.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I take it youre referring to Dingo Bobs Wallabies. The current model holds more promise.
    Yet to be convinced that the current forwards will hold-up in the Rugby Championship or World Cup.

Considering 2015 Pool A, the Wallabies will face Wales and England, the winner of Cook Islands vs Fiji and the playoff winner, which could be someone like Uruguay. The good news is that the Wales pool game will be at Twickenham rather than Cardiff!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    The good news is that the Wales pool game will be at Twickenham rather than Cardiff!
    Who for? The Welsh?

Millennium Stadium doesn't scare the Wallabies

vCash
    No, but given the number of Aussies in London, Twickenham might be a home crowd!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Yet to be convinced that the current forwards will hold-up in the Rugby Championship or World Cup
    totally!

C'mon the

vCash
    No, but given the number of Aussies in London, Twickenham might be a home crowd!
    OK ... just like the three Lions' tests were home games ... ?!