Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: MCMENIMAN, ALCOCK TO START IN RETURN TO ‘FORCE FIELD’

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

MCMENIMAN, ALCOCK TO START IN RETURN TO ‘FORCE FIELD’

Lock Hugh McMeniman and flanker Chris Alcock have returned to the starting XV for the Western Force’s clash against the Brumbies at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) this Saturday night (1 March).

McMeniman’s selection in the starting line-up completes his return from a shoulder injury that sidelined him for the second half of 2013. McMeniman will pack down alongside Sam Wykes on Saturday.

Alcock, who, along with Alby Mathewson, was one of only two players to play each match for the Force in 2013, will join captain Matt Hodgson and No.8 Ben McCalman in the back row.

The Force will field an identical backline to last weekend, including Nick Cummins on the wing and Kyle Godwin at inside centre, who each crossed for the Force’s two tries against the Waratahs.

The changes to the Western Force bench see lock Wilhelm Steenkamp and flanker Angus Cottrell start from the reserves list, while Jayden Hayward returns to the match day squad after scoring 24 points in Force A’s 29-23 win over Reds A in last Friday’s Pacific Rugby Cup opener.

Flyhalf Zack Holmes and reserve scrumhalf Ian Prior will line up against their former club for the first time since joining the Western Force.

Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says his team is looking forward to playing in front of the ‘Sea of Blue’ for the first time in 2014.

“While we were disappointed with aspects of last week’s game, the upside is we have control of how we deliver in those areas in the future,” he said.

“Some of our discipline to system let us down, but the boys individually showed great spirit to still be in the fight at the 65th-minute mark.

“We're looking forward to playing at home in front of our supporters for the first time this season and above all else, our goal is to harness the individual fighting spirit into an 80-minute team performance.”

The Western Force will celebrate its opening home match of the season by staging a welcome for its supporters from the Claisebrook Train Station and on arrival at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium).

Saturday’s match will be preceded by a curtain-raiser between Force A and Junior Japan in the IRB Pacific Rugby Cup.

2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week Three
    Western Force v Brumbies
    The ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium), Perth
    Saturday, 1 March 2014
    Kick-off: 7pm

1. Tetera Faulkner
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Kieran Longbottom
    4. Sam Wykes
    5. Hugh McMeniman
    6. Chris Alcock
    7. Matt Hodgson (c)
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Alby Mathewson
    10. Zack Holmes
    11. Nick Cummins
    12. Kyle Godwin
    13. Junior Rasolea
    14. Patrick Dellit
    15. Luke Morahan

Reserves
    16. Heath Tessmann
    17. Pek Cowan
    18. Ollie Hoskins
    19. Wilhelm Steenkamp
    20. Angus Cottrell
    21. Ian Prior
    22. Sias Ebersohn
    23. Jayden Hayward

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Veteran
    vCash
    urrgghh, Sammy and Junior in the starting squad :-/

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Ok I will admit I am not a huge fan Of Sam, but he was one of our best last weekend (not like that was a hard task). Kbomb????? Why not start Ollie instead. He looked good when he came on, but it was way too late for anyone to make a difference. Here’s hoping it was first round nerves otherwise we are screwed!!!!

vCash
    what time is the curtain raiser do we know?

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    a side note its interesting to see that there are only 2 saffa in the team and on the bench so much talk has been about how the force have to look outside aus yet only have 1 non aussie in the starting team.

Would also love to see Luke Burton on the bench infront of sias.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Wykes??? Really????

No wonder he always performs below par. He's more often than not assured of a starting spot. Why would he think there was anything wrong?

He needs to get dropped, dropped again & then get a few Force A games under his belt to kick his ass in to gear & understand what is required & expected of him at this level.

Come on FFS Sam, get some mongrel & get a friggin haircut

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    what time is the curtain raiser do we know?
    4.30 I think

vCash
    Sam and Junior are poor calls in MHO. Junior was caught out so many times last week and Sam just kept giving the ball away.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    if everyone was dropped for playing one shit game,none of us would have played much rugby
    consecutive shit games,on the other hand....

Senior Player
    vCash
    Yup Junior doesn't really cut it at this level. Rushes off the line too much and a bit lazy in defence.

And Steenkamp was miles better than Wykesy last week, but his aggression can lead to penalties against us.

At least we get the line up in good time, with none of the childish foxing till game day.

vCash
    The changes of Alcock and MMM coming into the starting lineup indicate to me that the gameplan is to use more potent forward runners in the first half and target the player in the white 7 jersey around the breakdown.

I don't mind Hayward coming off the bench in the second half with fresh legs to try and counter from the back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    if everyone was dropped for playing one shit game,none of us would have played much rugby
    consecutive shit games,on the other hand....
    Fair call Gunny

Senior Player
    vCash
    I agree Junior is not going to be the answer at 13 this year. I think Morahan has some experience there so could be a goer with Hayward at 15.

Dellit is also a reliable player but not much more, maybe give Stubbs another crack to see if he can repeat his performance against the crusaders last year.

Alcock needs to be starting but I thought Cottrell was one of our best last week. Hodgo probably lucky he has the C next to his name.

Anyway you can chop and change every week but probably doesn't help

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddly View Post
    Ok I will admit I am not a huge fan Of Sam, but he was one of our best last weekend (not like that was a hard task). Kbomb????? Why not start Ollie instead. He looked good when he came on, but it was way too late for anyone to make a difference. Here’s hoping it was first round nerves otherwise we are screwed!!!!
    KBomb plays tighthead and was therefore up against arguably the best loosie in Australia. As for general play......everyone was torn a new one, some of them several. I think in that situation we could cut him a break......more importantly, the good performance of Ollie will ensure it isn't too long before he DOES start and it will keep the other props honest in the meantime.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddly View Post
    KBomb plays tighthead and was therefore up against arguably the best loosie in Australia. As for general play......everyone was torn a new one, some of them several. I think in that situation we could cut him a break......more importantly, the good performance of Ollie will ensure it isn't too long before he DOES start and it will keep the other props honest in the meantime.

C'mon the

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast