Thread: Force, Waratahs keep teams under wraps

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force, Waratahs keep teams under wraps

The West Australian
    Nick Taylor The West Australian February 21, 2014, 7:38 am

Western Force and the NSW Waratahs will be spoken to by Super Rugby governing body SANZAR after failing to abide by new protocol governing the lodging of teams for Sunday's clash in Sydney.

Teams had to be lodged by 2pm yesterday, but Force coach Michael Foley supplied a squad, while the Waratahs left two reserves spots undecided.

A SANZAR spokesman said the issue would be discussed with the clubs.

It is understood South African teams that opened the competition last weekend did not lodge their teams on time.

Foley may know the make-up of the team that will run on to Allianz Stadium, but is playing his cards close to his chest and left nine positions publicly undecided.

The final team will not be known until just before kick-off.

He had always planned to take a non-playing reserve to Sydney and has named a 24-man squad.

Foley has pencilled in both marquee signing and emerging Springbok Wilhelm Steenkamp and Wallaby Hugh McMeniman, who made a surprise early return from a shoulder reconstruction in last week's trial match, for the No.5 jumper.

It is an indication McMeniman may not be fully match fit and will come from the bench in the second half.

Foley has named two complete front rows, five back-rowers, two scrum-halves in Alby Mathewson and Ian Prior, both Zack Holmes and Sias Ebersohn at fly-half and two right wingers, Patrick Dellit and Marcel Brache.

Perth-born Holmes returns from the Brumbies for his first Force appearance and is expected to partner Mathewson, who will make his 100th Super Rugby appearance.

Former Queensland Red Luke Morahan, will start at full-back and on trial form, Dellit will get the nod over Brache.

Kyle Godwin and Solomoni Rasolea will renew their centre pairing having twice teamed up in the midfield last season.

Nathan Charles has returned from a knee injury that ruled him out of most of last year and is expected to start with Heath Tessmann on the bench.

The four props are Pek Cowan, Tetera Faulkner and local products, Australian under-20 prop Ollie Hoskins who is set to make his Super Rugby debut, and Kieran Longbottom.

◾Force squad: *Pek Cowan/Tetera Faulkner, Nathan Charles/Heath Tessmann, Ollie Hoskins/Kieran Longbottom, Sam Wykes, Hugh McMeniman/Wilhelm Steenkamp, Chris Alcock/Angus Cottrell, Matt Hodgson (c), Ben McCalman/Brynard Stander, Alby Mathewson/Ian Prior, Sias Ebersohn/Zack Holmes, Nick Cummins, Kyle Godwin, Solomoni Rasolea, Marcel Brache/Patrick Dellit, Luke Morahan.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...s-under-wraps/

Unnamed Sauces have since confirmed that Ollie Hoskins will be starting from the bench in No18

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I don't understand why Foley is in trouble, sure he was taking the piss with all those brackets, but he DID name the team in time. Working around the protocol seems a whole lot better than ignoring it completely!

C'mon the

Apprentice
    vCash
    Zack Holmes will start with 2 backs only on the bench is my feeling

vCash
    even from those name it looks a really quality team so far- I'm excited! Watch out! BTW how did Force A team go yesterday against the Reds - there were really good names on that team as well!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I don't see what the big deal is with naming teams late and brackets.

Foley is trying to win a Super Rugby Game, not a fantasy competition, nor needing time to research for Fox commentators to work out if Ollie Hoskins debut is the first on a Sunday at a ground name starting with an "a" since 1857.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If they play with as much commitment and heart as the Force A boys then I see a good score and a hard time for the Tahs

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 22-02-14 at 12:33. Reason: Spellin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is with naming teams late and brackets.

Foley is trying to win a Super Rugby Game, not a fantasy competition, nor needing time to research for Fox commentators to work out if Ollie Hoskins debut is the first on a Sunday at a ground name starting with an "a" since 1857.
    Obviuosly you only operate as a Vbookie. A real bookie would know very well the value of that kind of inside info. But I suppose if he were a crook, he might act dumb to cover his tracks.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David