Thread: Western Force ready for Tahs back line

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Western Force ready for Tahs back line

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    February 18, 2014, 5:32 am

Western Force ready for Tahs back line Alby Mathewson, said Force backline has the talent to match NSW side.
    The firepower of a star-studded Waratahs back line holds no fears for the Western Force in their opening Super Rugby clash in Sydney on Sunday.

Waratahs coach Michael Cheika has an excess of riches, including Israel Folau, Kurtley Beale, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Nick Phipps, Rob Horne and Bernard Foley, but feisty Force scrum-half Alby Mathewson believes his own back line has the talent to match the NSW side.

"They are pretty stacked, they've probably got Wallabies on the bench, they're spoilt for choice, but they are just like any other. It's not as if we're worried about them," Mathewson said.

"Obviously they are good players but there is no reason why our backs can't go head-to-head with them. We've seen some things we can exploit in their back line. They have got to tackle us as well.

"We've got the honey badger (Nick Cummins), Luke Morahan has been unreal for us pre-season and with Junior (Rasolea) and Kyle (Godwin) I don't think there's anything to worry about.

"We can all tackle but obviously we've got to stick to our systems. We've got to limit the ball they get and the type of ball they get. From counterattack they will be really dangerous with Izzy (Folau) back there.

"We have to make sure we are connected and make our tackles because if we don't they'll punish you.

"They will want to run it but they are a smart team and they will understand you can't just fling the ball around."

Former All Black Mathewson, who will play his 100th game of Super Rugby on Sunday, has the incredible record of never missing a game through injury.

But the century of games is the last thing on his mind.

"I haven't really thought about it too much - just because I think I've got another 100 in me," Mathewson said. "It is pretty special to get 100 Super games. Once I'm done and dusted it will be something I'll look back on and that's pretty cool."

Mathewson said there had been an emphasis on finishing in attack.

"The big focus for us has been on finishing, finishing the opportunities that we get when we are close to the try line," he said.

"Last year our defence was pretty strong. In attack we'd get down there but we just couldn't finish."

We've got to limit the ball they get and the type of ball they get."Alby Mathewson

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ahs-back-line/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I see opportunity through the 12 channel. beale couldn't tackle his mum

Kurtley isn't good enough to play 15 and couldn't beat Foley to the ten jersey. Watch out for the chip and chase.

I wouild send big runners at this gimp for 80 minutes. Belt him, bash him, sledge him, rub his ugly cranium in the dirt and stomp on it

Force by 10

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Controversy corner