Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Force unlikely to advance much further - Growden

vCash

Western Force unlikely to advance much further - Growden

"Can Western Force finally defy expectations for more than a game at a time?

Western Force remain a side struggling to make their mark on the competition, but still they came away from 2013 with several surprise victories, including a win over the Crusaders. They have to continue working hard to make their way up the ladder. Greg Growden says Kyle Godwin is destined to be a Wallabies player this year, but the Force are still unlikely to advance from their customary position near the bottom of the ladder.

Last Season: thirteenth overall, fifth in Australian Conference; the Force gave their fans something to cheer with wins over the Crusaders, Queensland Reds and Brumbies, but their tally of four wins in a season, scoring 267 points while conceding 366, saw them remain rooted at the bottom of the Australian conference.

Greg Growden said of the Force in 2013: "Michael Foley didn't have a great deal to work with, and you must credit Western Force for their spirit all season and eagerness to keep trying to the end. Foley made a blunder in resting players for the Lions tour match, a decision that didn't help in healing relationships with some non-believers at the province. But there were some inspired moments.

Key Man Ben McCalman was a strong player in 2013, starting 11 matches and leading from the front to score two tries and claim Man of the Match honours in wins over the Highlanders and the Brumbies. With 51 Super Rugby caps to his name, he is a core member of the back-row with the ability to play anywhere across the back five; one of few experienced players to remain with the Force.

Key Stat: The Force had the worst attack in the competition in 2013, scoring just 26 tries and 267 points; Sias Ebersohn is a prodigious source of kick metres, and Kyle Godwin crept into the competition's top 20 players for run metres, but the team as a collective ranked below par in both categories to illustrate clearly their lack of offensive strike.

Rising Star: Kyle Godwin is one of the bright young things of Australian rugby, the Zimbabwe-born playmaker making the No.12 jumper his own in claiming the inaugural Nathan Sharpe Medal, Rising Star Award and Members' MVP. He played fly-half for Australia at Under-20 level, so may yet move in one spot to provide a little more adventure, and we expect him finally to claim the Wallabies jumper he surely would have won had injury not denied him a berth on the end-of-year tour.

Season Preview: The Force have gained seven new faces for 2014 to join experienced players Ben McCalman, Nick Cummins, Matt Hodgson, Hugh McMeniman and Chris Alcock after yet another disappointing season, but none apart from rugged South African Wilhem Steenkamp to inspire thoughts of radical improvement. The Force can match the best team on their best days - witness wins over the Crusaders, Brumbies and Reds last season, and close away defeats by the Chiefs and the Bulls - but they are yet to produce that form week in week out through a season, and it would seem only foolish to predict success this season with them struggling to retain key players and James O'Connor choosing to head overseas.

Greg Growdens's verdict: Michael Foley has gone all South African, luring countless players and coaches from the Republic to provide assistance. And Foley needs all the help he can get because he really hasn't that much to work with. The Force are one of the more enthusiastic teams, and they can never be criticised for lack of heart, but they are short in numbers, especially out wide, and they will again be threadbare if they lose players. Their main problem is finding a consistent No 10, and that is where Kyle Godwin may be the man to step up this season, to help provide some direction to an often-wonky attacking contingent. While the Force forwards have been able to match it with better known opponents, the backline has for years not been up to standard. Godwin is destined to be a Wallabies player this year, especially if the Force's most pugnacious player - former All Blacks halfback Alby Mathewson - helps him along. But it is still unlikely the Force will advance from their customary position near the bottom of the ladder."

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby...ze9EoEu0O4v.99

I wonder if Greg would describe Kyle as "Zimbabwe-born" if he played for the Tahs?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Alison; 13-02-14 at 11:04.

vCash
    Meanwhile, Greg thinks the Waratahs "have all the pieces" to finish top of the Aus conference, and third overall.

http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby...ry/210549.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Not worth the pie wrapper it is written on IMHO

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Not worth the pie wrapper it is written on IMHO

Quote Greg says ...
    meat pies

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He is going on about flyhalf and how we are thin yet makes no mention of Holmes and how the only recruit worth a mention was Steenkamp what about Morahan??

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Growden caters to his audience, which consists of mindless new south Welshman who believe the Force should be removed from the competition entirely.
    If he were to write that the Force were likely to finish higher on the ladder than the 'Tahs he would be tarred and feathered.

vCash
    I thought he and the SMH had parted ways?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I thought he and the SMH had parted ways?
    yeah they have he only writes for ESPN Scrum now

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    I totally agree MI5 - I honestly believe they think we and the Rebels (though mainly us) are responsible for the ARU's current financial shambles and are draining them of resources rather than contributing to the greater cause. If it weren't for us, the ARU would be flush!

I also understand that our "no show" at the S15 launch this week is another nail in our coffin as far as the east coast protectors are concerned.

Player
    vCash
    Growdens preview may not be entirely accurate but until we prove otherwise with some decent results he can say what he likes and we have to cop it. We have improved out list but that needs to be judged in comparison with how well the other Aus teams have improved theirs. I want to beat the Rebels twice this year to reverse our bad record against them.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post

I also understand that our "no show" at the S15 launch this week is another nail in our coffin as far as the east coast protectors are concerned.
    Maybe we misread the S15 launch invitation and when they asked for a large presence from the Force - we sent Coleman instead

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moono74 View Post
    Growdens preview may not be entirely accurate but until we prove otherwise with some decent results he can say what he likes and we have to cop it.
    Spot on I reckon and not far of off the truth in a place or two.

Until the Force start winning consistantly they will continue to be treated like this by media types

vCash
    To be honest, I do not think that we all go watch sporting events only to be the winners. It should be the actual contest that matters most as there has to be a winner and a loser, its the nature of the beast.

Hopefully we go watch a contest were both teams give it their all and entertain us and a win is a bonus.

The Force play most games with heart and all we are looking for is them giving it their all in each and every game, if we win them thats is a bonus.

If we only want to watch a winning team we need to support and only watch the All Blacks as they tend to win almost all their matches every year. (Certainly not the Tahs or Reds)

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    They did more to ensure the future of the club by entertaining the Diamonds and Corporates, apart from offering us the franchise and forcing Brain Dead Dick on us, what else have they ever done for us. Oh that's right, they fined us in 2007 for some trivial rule breech.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I totally agree TIF! Been having a convo on Twitter with a Sydney friend and I made exactly that argument. He doesn't agree, not surprisingly! His principal counter-argument is that the ARU funds our player salaries and without players there would be no Force...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast