Thread: McKenzie gives Force tick of approval

vCash

McKenzie gives Force tick of approval

Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie says the Western Force are well placed as they move towards the Super Rugby season kick-off.

McKenzie spent time with coach Michael Foley last week casting an eye over established players and possible new Wallabies as he starts his own preparations for the international season and the 2015 World Cup.

"They seem pretty well covered. I think they are well positioned," McKenzie said.

"Michael Foley runs a very organised program and a lot of thought goes in, not just the technical side … there's the cultural side which is a fairly significant part of rugby at the moment.

"There's a lot of investment in terms of the behaviours in the make-up of a high-performance team.

"The trigger is when you actually start playing. You've got to pick a team."

Rising star Kyle Godwin, whose shoulder surgery dashed any outside chance he had of being on the Wallabies' spring tour, is on McKenzie's radar, as are other Force players.

"I want to see more of him (Godwin)," McKenzie said.

"He had an untimely injury. It's good that he's got that sorted and we get to have a look at him, but there are other players here that interest me who are not talked about as much.

"There's a bunch of guys who are interesting. The fringes of squads are new territory for me.

"There's some names I know very well but don't know them as people, so it's good to get eyes on the guys early and get a feel from the coaches about who's pushing through and who's had good off-seasons.

"I want to see where they are up to and talk to the provincial coaches to tip me off on the ones worth focusing on."

McKenzie is closely watching the Force's recruitment of South African development players.

"We've all got different perspectives on it. Obviously the Force want to win games and be consistent," he said.

"My interest is on the conversion of those players into home usable players, how many of the players are going to be a good option for Australian rugby down the track."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...k-of-approval/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    fuck yes Godwin would have been in a gold jumper if it wasnt for his surgery!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!