Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ben Mowen leaving Australia at the end of 2014

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddly View Post
    And we wonder why the younger generations are becoming so precious.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Do we?
    Probably got a lot to do with them being wrapped in cotton wool and pampered their entire life.

The comparison to the armed forces is pretty dumb too. Our service personell make their choice and live with the consequences. Mowen has now done the same. Fair play to the man.
    Posted via Mobile Device

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
    Do we?
    Probably got a lot to do with them being wrapped in cotton wool and pampered their entire life.

The comparison to the armed forces is pretty dumb too. Our service personell make their choice and live with the consequences. Mowen has now done the same. Fair play to the man.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    It would be a pretty safe bet that 3 -4 year ago Ben Mowen had an idea that he would be playing Test Rugby or at the very least Super Rugby and he would have known that there was some travel involved.

Perhaps he should have chosen a profession without any travel involved.

Lets not pull any punches here - This has nothing to do with Travel or being away from his family. Ben Mowen is dirty that he cant get his hands on a Wallaby top up due to the ARU's cash flow problems. So he has tried to call their bluff and said "Righto then I am going to France" Instead of the ARU saying - oops sorry Ben you are right - here is a couple of hundred thousand for the next 2 years, Bill Pulver has said Cya, Ben, don't let the door hit you in the arse when you leave. And Ben Mowen gets to start his Superannuation Tour early.

Besides in the ARU's eyes. Mowen wouldn't be the 2014 Captain- They will go back to Pocock who is a sponsors wet dream.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Yeah, that's right ex, but do you blame Mowen?, he is an unquestioned selection and the captain, yet, they won't contract him. If it was me, leading any sort of organisation, yet on casual rates, I would be putting some pressure on too

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yeah, that's right ex, but do you blame Mowen?, he is an unquestioned selection and the captain, yet, they won't contract him. If it was me, leading any sort of organisation, yet on casual rates, I would be putting some pressure on too
    Well going by the ARU's new rules that were reported last year he would be eligible for an ARU top up at the end of the year so all he has to do is suck it up for 12 months.

Just another reason why top ups should be scrapped and the money should be given to the 5 franchises as part of the salary cap.

Rookie
    vCash
    I think his timing is perfect. He leaves on his own terms and as Wallaby captain. Next year, with all hands on deck, does he make the team?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Well going by the ARU's new rules that were reported last year he would be eligible for an ARU top up at the end of the year so all he has to do is suck it up for 12 months.

Just another reason why top ups should be scrapped and the money should be given to the 5 franchises as part of the salary cap.
    Yep. Even if the match payments went back to 13k a game, or even 15. With an added bonus for a win.

Even give them $1200 a week while in camp and on tour. They'd still be on loads more than a lot of other Australians are on that weekly amount alone.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Perhaps he should have chosen a profession without any travel involved.

This has nothing to do with Travel or being away from his family. Ben Mowen is dirty that he cant get his hands on a Wallaby top up due to the ARU's cash flow problems.
    While to a certain extent I do agree with you, there are a few things to consider.

Until recently Mowen hasn't been a part of the Wallabies, let alone captain, so he is new to the travel/media/promotional requirements of the job.

He has not been offered a top up due to the 2yr rule, despite similar allowances being made to other Wallabies (other Wallabies who are not captain).

I agree with you that he is dirty at this situation (and rightly so I would argue), and as a result he is looking to greener pastures.

That is his right. He has not done anything wrong here, or broken any rules, so the comments regarding "suck it up", "precious young'uns" etc. are way off mark.

And I know plenty of defence force personnel who complain about the travel, burden on their families, and low pay.

Just like the current Wallabies situation: some of them continue in the job for pride/love of the job/lack of ability to do anything else, while others leave and seek better conditions elsewhere.

vCash
    That is his right. He has not done anything wrong here, or broken any rules, so the comments regarding "suck it up", "precious young'uns" etc. are way off mark

Really Marty?
    I agree that he has been hard done by and that he can make his own life decisions, but to use the family as an excuse? The younger generations are meant to look up to these guy's. So the fact that when life gets a bit hard they run away, rather than sucking it up is spot on IMO.

vCash
    How is family not an excuse?
    I work overseas or away within Australia up to 6 months a year and missing the family definitely plays a massive part in future planning and work choices.

vCash
    You are right Tocc, but is it the real reason behind the move? We all know he has been screwed by the ARU (no top up for our captain). He is leaving for the money the family is a secondary reason IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddly View Post
    Really Marty?
    I agree that he has been hard done by and that he can make his own life decisions, but to use the family as an excuse? The younger generations are meant to look up to these guy's. So the fact that when life gets a bit hard they run away, rather than sucking it up is spot on IMO.
    I don't personally know the guy, but I am sure family played some part in his decision. I doubt he is using it as some kind of "cover" to avoid scrutiny.

Did money play a part? Certainly, but that doesn't make it the only reason.

As for your point about "life getting hard" and "running away": that is a pretty glass half empty way of looking at it, and implies that he has taken the easy way out.

Perhaps we should be explaining it to the younger generation as follows:

Mowen has worked hard his whole life to get where he is. Now that he has reached the top he has been taken for granted and held over a barrell with regard to being properly compensated.

Instead of putting up with that kind of treatment from his employer he has made the very difficult business decision to go elsewhere where he will be in a better financial position to look after his family into the future.

Granted; there are a few precious egos in the Wallabies camp, but from all i have seen Mowen is not one of them. He has conducted himself with dignity and self respect throughout the past year and I feel the younger generation could certainly look up to worse than him.

Champion
    vCash
    He will on this show in the next hour

Listen via the website - http://www.2smsupernetwork.com/listen/listen.html

Champion
    vCash
    He will be on the above show at 2.45pm Perth time

You can send him a question via twitter at @2SM1269

Or email at http://2smsupernetwork.com/feedback , click onto Talkin sport