Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ben Mowen leaving Australia at the end of 2014

vCash
    Nathan Sharp was the best………..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1 View Post
    Nathan Sharp was the best………..
    I stand corrected. My bad. He should have been Captain for longer not an interim.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    His reasons hold water, he has a young family and wanta to be with them more often.

The opinion of him paying to take them with hin doesn't hold water, you can't bond with the team on tour whilst you have your family there. That would affect his focus.

Think about it practically, he would have been away for 3 weeks in NZ, three weeks in SA plus weekend trips away for Super Rugby, then add the 6 week tour of Europe, and the Wallaby Camps and away trips to SA, NZ & Arg. It's a huge amount of time away from home.

In France he will earn more money for the next 5-6 years that he has left of playing top level rugby, he will be home nearly every night, him and his daughter will learn and be fluent in a second common language, he has the whole of Europe on his door step for short trips with his family. Add that to the fact that he'll get to rest in the off season, it's a no brainer for any good player. The RWC is the only downside in it all.

Fantastic experience for him, and I wish him all the best.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Rocky was allowed too so what's the difference. Shame if we lose him as he's the best captain we have had since Eales. IMO.
    Don't forget Sir Nathan ....
    Posted before I read the rest of the threads.. Sorry...

vCash
    RR - there's lots of examples of players from different sports taking their families with them.

Smith did it. And most recently that I know of is that Emma followed Dave around one year.

Happens in cricket all the time as well.

At the end of the day Though you can't blame the bloke for putting family first. Wish him all the best.

My point was that it shits me when players whinge about working away. People work away. It could be 60 years ago and the touring players caught ships everywhere. as opposed to flying.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    What a load of BS from Ben Mowen you earn a load of money you don't spend that much time away from your family you have only played 15 tests get a grip of yourself.

The money you will have earned from playing rugby invested well will see you retire comfortably and be able to spend as much time with your family as you wish

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    What a load of BS from Ben Mowen you earn a load of money you don't spend that much time away from your family you have only played 15 tests get a grip of yourself.

The money you will have earned from playing rugby invested well will see you retire comfortably and be able to spend as much time with your family as you wish
    Peter love it , you were one if the most positive people on the site , sometimes I thought it was a wind up , you are human
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    that being said, he is the captain and doesn't have a top up contract, because he doesn't play outside back for the Tahs.

I can understand a certain lack of gruntlement.

C'mon the

vCash
    I understand he's signed with Montpellier. Not a bad place to play I guess!

vCash

There's only one time when your kid first walks, talks, throws a ball around. If you miss it, you miss it.

Can't blame him for wanting to spend time with his family. I don't know how many of the Wallabies have families already, but I'd wager it's not many.

The problem here is two-fold: the amount of travelling involved with modern Super and international rugby; and the comparatively low wage of Southern Hemisphere players compared to Europe. The trouble is, I can't see an easy answer to either issue, so we'll keep on losing high quality players to France.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    There's only one time when your kid first walks, talks, throws a ball around. If you miss it, you miss it.

Can't blame him for wanting to spend time with his family. I don't know how many of the Wallabies have families already, but I'd wager it's not many.

The problem here is two-fold: the amount of travelling involved with modern Super and international rugby; and the comparatively low wage of Southern Hemisphere players compared to Europe. The trouble is, I can't see an easy answer to either issue, so we'll keep on losing high quality players to France.
    What a crock.

How many members of the military are away from their families for more then 6 months at a time. and they dont get paid a couple of hundred thousand dollars a year to do it.

I guess military members and their families are built of stronger stuff then our pampered Wallabies.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    What a crock.

How many members of the military are away from their families for more then 6 months at a time. and they dont get paid a couple of hundred thousand dollars a year to do it.

I guess military members and their families are built of stronger stuff then our pampered Wallabies.
    Yes, but that's part of the job. Ask them whether they'd prefer to be at home watching their kids grow up.

Mowen's seen a chance to earn more money (I presume) and see his wife and kids regularly, at the cost of not representing his country. It's a decision, and some will come down on the side of country and some of family. I certainly never regret getting capped (junior level) but then I didn't have to give up anything.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    These guy's need to pull there heads out of their ass. They earn in one season what most of us make in 10 years. Oh those poor hard done by princesses. My boss says jump I ask when where and how high. Ask them and they just move to France. And we wonder why the younger generations are becoming so precious.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    I'd say if the Wallabies make the WC final (I'm ever the optimist) he will be sitting in France feeling some regret. But as a recent first time mum I certainly understand the wife's point of view, you certainly need some help after all day at home just you and bub!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast