Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fifita considers code switch: report

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And he doesn't.

On Sunday, the Cronulla international spent his entire Saturday afternoon weighing up a $4 million dollar dilemma — whether to stay at the Sharks or join rivals Canterbury or South Sydney Rabbitohs.

On Monday it appears he has made his decision - signing with the Bulldogs.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-...-1226849075272

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 11-03-14 at 20:11.

vCash

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    oh gawd - Shasta is going to be unbearable this year.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    oh gawd - Shasta is going to be unbearable this year.
    Next year, Bud.

But TBH, I don't see the value here. We don't have a play maker fullback, a class half back or a sniping hooker. Ennis is more a liability than an asset now and should be punted PDQ, along with Tony Williams. Though nobody will want Williams and has another two years. There are bigger priorities at the Dogs.

Last edited by shasta; 11-03-14 at 20:14.

vCash
    I was going to say why do the Bulldogs need another forward? Shasta has pointed out the areas that the Bulldogs need coverage.

As opposed to the Dragons who need a new coach and forward pack....

vCash
    BREAKING: Bulldogs terminate the estimated $3.5m contract of Andrew Fifita over FIVE words: ‘I wish I chose rugby’

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Well that's an interesting turn of events.

The ARU probably couldn't afford him though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Well that's an interesting turn of events.

The ARU probably couldn't afford him though
    The obvious move would be for him to return to the Brumbies to replace Mowen but considering Mowen wasn't getting a top-up that's probably the case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    The obvious move would be for him to return to the Brumbies to replace Mowen but considering Mowen wasn't getting a top-up that's probably the case.
    Great news for us. I'd hoped that would be the outcome. No that I doubt his ability in any way. Just that there are other priorities. Se above. H'd be great at 6 or 8 in Rugby. We won't be in the hunt. But I wonder whether his twin would be worth an academy contract. As X has told us he also has a Rugby background and after just 8 weeks at the Sharks he made his NRL debut and earned an extension for next year. Package deal anyone?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash

Canterbury Bulldogs back out of Andrew Fifita deal

Canterbury have sensationally backed out of their $3.5 million four-year deal with Sharks prop Andrew Fifita.
    Just days after Fifita made the extraordinary claim that he regretted signing the contract and said he would have preferred to switch to rugby union, the Bulldogs released a statement saying he would not be joining their club next year.
    The Dogs advised Fifita’s management that he would not be coming on board as "the final terms of the NRL Playing Contract could not be agreed".
    Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle said: “After signing a memorandum of understanding with Andrew we’ve not been able to agree on the final terms of his NRL playing contract and have ceased negotiations with his management.
    “We wish Andrew all the best for the future."
    A statement from his management group, I.am Athlete Management said: "Andrew is disappointed that we could not finalise terms with the Bulldogs but we still have several options in the pipeline to explore."
    An ARU spokesperson said that they were not aware of Fifita’s contractual matters.
    "We have not had any recent discussions with him. If Andrew wanted to talk to us, it would need to be for rugby reasons and not based on the earning capacity he could demand in league," the spokesperson said.
    "We won’t have any further comment on this matter, and as far as we are aware, we are not involved in his current or future plans."
    The Sharks released a statement saying the club has "been made aware of the latest developments".
    "No doubt this situation will be confusing and disappointing for Andrew and the Sharks as a club have an obligation to assist him and his family to manage this issue. After further review of the situation and until speaking with his Andrew and his management the Sharks are not in a position to make further comment."
    Fifita was heavily pursued by South Sydney and Cronulla before he signed with Canterbury last month. The towering 24-year-old was in career-best form last year with the Sharks, an integral part of the team which made it to the finals before being eliminated by Manly in the second round.
    He made his NRL debut with the Wests Tigers in 2010 before joining Cronulla two years later.
    His twin brother David also plays for the Sharks and made his first-grade debut recently while Andrew was sidelined due to a shoulder-charge suspension.
    Fifita made his return from his two-game suspension in the Sharks' 30-0 loss to the Knights in Newcastle on Sunday.
    The about-turn comes after Fifita said last week he wished he’d chosen to go to rugby union because of all the flak he’d copped about leaving Cronulla and also declared his intention to move to rugby union some time in the future.
    ‘‘If I could go back now, I wish I chose rugby and then I wouldn’t be getting all the shit I’ve been catching now,’’ Fifita said.
    ‘‘I grew up playing rugby so it was one of the best things.‘‘It’s always going to be there and I will eventually go to union. It’s another dream and I just want to chase another dream.’’
    He has a history in rugby union, having represented NSW Country in junior ranks and earned a place in the Brumbies development squad.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...#ixzz2xWelCvbS

vCash
    My spies in Mungoland tell me it was third party stuff which was withdrawn. Can't blame them. If you are a RL supporter who is willing to get the chequebook out as a personal sponsor, you are not gonna be happy when your new boy says his heart is really in another game. Silly boy. Another gen Y falls over due to posting on Jibber with his brain on auto-pilot.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Shasta with the greatest of respect to you and your team - I think that they are acting just a little bit precious.

So - its OK to get done for Drunk Driving, Assault, Gang Rape (allegedly) but say you want to play Union and you are thrown out the door???

Its not like he said " I am going to actively look for a Union Contract to buy me out"

You could have got your threes years of fine mungo playing days out of him, and he could have then gone to Union.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Well X, also with the greatest respect, bollox. If the sposors got cold feet, end of story. Being honest here mate; would you expect the Force to have ANY player who came out before the deal was finished and said something similar ?(I should have signed for Toulon ferinstance) The usual suspects would be on here baying for blood.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Spot on Shasta.

Imagine if one of our Saffer imports turned around and said "I'd atill rather be playing in South Africa but all I could get was a contract here in Perth".

This forum would go into meltdown.

vCash
    So I now wonder whether he will join the Warratahs, I am sure they will find a way to fit him under their salary cap.......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast