Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: National Rugby Championship set to excite fans and develop elite players in 2014 and

vCash

National Rugby Championship set to excite fans and develop elite players in 2014 and

12/10/2013
    By ARU Media Unit

Australian Rugby Union today announced it will launch a new domestic Rugby competition in 2014, the National Rugby Championship.

Australian Rugby Union CEO Bill Pulver said the competition will be an exciting spectacle for fans and will enhance the pathway to develop elite players, coaches and match officials.

The competition will be sponsored by FOX SPORTS and Foxtel, with FOX SPORTS set to televise one live match per round plus the semi-finals and final.

Mr Pulver said in addition to providing additional broadcast content, the National Rugby Championship will generate extra revenue for Rugby.

“This is a major vote of confidence in Australian Rugby. This competition, which will include 8-10 teams from major population centres from across Australia, will also offer the opportunity to introduce innovative rules to the game to improve the spectacle for our fans,” said Mr Pulver.

“The National Rugby Championship will run annually at the end of Super Rugby and club Rugby seasons from August to October as a way of complementing existing competitions such as the important Premier Rugby competitions in Sydney and Queensland.

“It will also be self-funded thanks to the support of FOX SPORTS and Foxtel.

“This new competition will be a tremendous opportunity for Rugby fans to support teams from across the country in a local competition that we hope will rival New Zealand’s ITM Cup and South Africa’s Currie Cup at a time of year when there is little local Rugby being played.

“I’d like to acknowledge the support shown by stakeholders and club competitions across the country, particularly in Sydney and Queensland, where Premier Rugby competitions are working to schedule their seasons to avoid any scheduling clashes with the National Rugby Championship.

“We will continue to work with stakeholders at all levels of Rugby, including at club level, to further improve the vital role they play to create elite players.”

Australian Rugby Union has set up the National Rugby Championship Commission to establish the competition.

The Commission includes representatives from Australian Rugby Union, the Rugby Union Players’ Association (RUPA), Super Rugby, FOX SPORTS and Foxtel. It is chaired by independent sports consultant, John Boultbee AM, who has worked extensively in Australian and international sport including rowing, soccer and at the Australian Institute of Sport.

The announcement of the new competition has been welcomed by RUPA, which has strongly advocated for Australian Rugby to improve the elite player development pathway.

RUPA CEO Greg Harris said RUPA is pleased to have played a key role in the inception of the National Rugby Championship.

“In 2007, 98% of our members said there was a missing link in the transition from club level to Super Rugby so we’re very excited and optimistic about the long-term benefits that a high-level, national competition can deliver to the game competitively and commercially.

“This new competition will give all non-Wallaby Super Rugby players an opportunity to continue to develop their skills in elite match conditions and will provide an opportunity for an additional 150 players to experience Rugby in a semi-professional environment.”

Expressions of Interest are now being sought from existing clubs wanting to compete in their own right, clubs wanting form a syndicate with other organisations such as universities or individuals who would like to apply for a place in the competition.

Expressions of Interest close on 13 January 2014, which will be followed by a formal tendering process, with successful teams expected to be announced by the end of February 2014.

Successful teams will be selected based on a number of criteria including: financial performance; professional team staffing structure and environment; commitment to player development; venue facilities; links to Super Rugby clubs; and current or potential fan base.

http://www.rugby.com.au/ArticleDetai...0/Default.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    That's the Spirit
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 10-12-13 at 12:28.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Excellent news, good on Foxsports for coming to the party.

Force should easily meet the criteria and assume with the wider training squad already built up we should be well placed.

Additional live rugby games to watch in Perth next year, "Priceless"

Roll on 2014

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    This from the Force Twitter;

Western Force ‏@westernforce 4m NATIONAL RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIP | Looking forward to uncovering a few more players like this in the new NRC! #honeybadger

Name:  badger.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  135.7 KB

Love it!

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Good - and it looks like Pulver's done the legwork to get this off on the right foot from the start.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Awesome news

I hope we revive Perth Spirit. Loved the guernsey

Last edited by Stone Cold; 10-12-13 at 11:46.
    coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Hope it allows teams to compete in their own right. Seeing our top teams against those from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane will be a great spectacle.

WARURA Referee
    I do it because I love the game.

vCash
    Time to dig out the Perth Spirit jersey!

vCash
    Puller "We expect it to be financial neutral at worst!" I'll believe that when it happens!! I can't see how somebody doesn't get subsidised by this process... and it won't be the Force!

vCash
    SA Rugby will be tendering to have the Adelaide Black Falcons as part of the new NRC

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    and not The Ox Academy???

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2404 View Post
    Puller "We expect it to be financial neutral at worst!" I'll believe that when it happens!! I can't see how somebody doesn't get subsidised by this process... and it won't be the Force!
    At least they're trying this time.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Slightly off topic, but noticing some comments from News and other Rugby sites bemoaning that the ARU are subsidising the Force and Rebels to the tune of $5m a year each, where is thats shit coming from?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Slightly off topic, but noticing some comments from News and other Rugby sites bemoaning that the ARU are subsidising the Force and Rebels to the tune of $5m a year each, where is thats shit coming from?
    i read that on G&G it was posted by a guy with a massive chip on his shoulder when it comes to club rugby and how the Force and Rebels are taking money away from the clubs and when I pressed him about were he got the figure from all you get is that he heard it at a dinner and it was a well know fact...in other words its bull shit.

By Subsidising them 5m he prob means giving them money for the Salary cap which is the same for every club...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    and not The Ox Academy???
    Ox Academy are already in a national tournament - Junior Gold Cup starts in February.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast