Thread: Chris Cairns, Daryl Tuffey, Lou Vincent reportedly being investigated match fixing

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Chris Cairns, Daryl Tuffey, Lou Vincent reportedly being investigated match fixing

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-0...fixing/5135752

Former New Zealand batsman Lou Vincent says he is cooperating with an International Cricket Council investigation into match-fixing.

Vincent, along with other former New Zealand cricketers Chris Cairns and Daryl Tuffey were earlier reported to have been investigated by the International Cricket Council as part of a match-fixing probe.

The ICC confirmed on Thursday morning it was looking at former New Zealand players for their alleged involvement in match fixing.

It said no players had been charged with any offence but a probe is ongoing into "fixing activity" and related matters.

It issued a statement in response to a report in the New Zealand Herald that up to three former Black Caps - whom the paper later reported were Cairns, Tuffey and Vincent - were being investigated by the ICC's anti-corruption and security unit (ACSU) for alleged match and spot fixing.

In a media statement released this afternoon, 35-year-old Vincent said he is cooperating with the ICC inquiry but that rules and regulations prevent him from saying anything more at the moment.
    "This investigation is bound by a number of rules and regulations that mean I am unable to make any further public comment," Vincent said.

"I will personally talk to the public when I am able to. In the meantime I cannot comment. Please respect me and my family's privacy until such time."

All-rounder Cairns - son of bowler Lance - is one of New Zealand's most decorated players with 279 international appearances to his name.

His 218 Test wickets places him fourth on New Zealand's all-time wicket-taking list while his 3320 Test runs puts him in the top 10 in Test runs scored.

He is also in the Black Caps' top five for both ODI wickets and runs.

The report said fixing took place in more than one country and had been under the spotlight from Australasian ACSU head John Rhodes for the past four months.
    New Zealand Cricket in shock

New Zealand Cricket issued a statement which confirmed the investigation involving "a small number" of its former players.

Chief executive David White said NZC was "shocked and surprised by the allegations".
    "We support the ICC’s investigation as corruption has no place in our sport," White said in the video statement.

"However, I would like to clarify a number of matters.

"Firstly, no current New Zealand players are being investigated. No games played in New Zealand are being investigated. And lastly, no matches under New Zealand Cricket’s jurisdiction are being investigated."

The ICC did not dispute anything in the initial newspaper report.

"The ICC confirms that it has indeed been working closely over the past few months with its colleagues in the domestic anti-corruption units of member boards to investigate these and related matters," its statement said.

"The ICC and all of its members maintain a zero-tolerance attitude towards corruption in the sport, and the ACSU will continue to collaborate with relevant individuals in order to complete its investigation process."

In a London Sunday Times article last year, Indian bookmaker Vicky Seth was quoted as saying that he had paid at least two New Zealand cricketers to cheat.

The revelation comes less than a week after the government released a report into corruption into New Zealand sport in which it asserted there was little to be concerned about.

However, sports minister Murray McCully promised to ramp up the fight against corruption by implementing greater information sharing among government and sporting bodies to stamp out potential match-fixing, doping and illegal activity.

The report was instigated after the Australian Crime Commission (ACC) earlier this year linked organised crime and banned substances to several Australian sporting codes including the NRL and AFL.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    How can New Zealand be involved in match fixing?

Isn't that where you pay a sure thing to take a dive and let the underdog win to scoop the high odds?

When has New Zealand cricket EVER been a sure thing?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Only the Ki-o-rahi Championships I think

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Daryl Tuffey? Match fixing? You can possibly be involved in matchfixing when you haven't got any talent to speak of!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Feel very sad I was always a fan of Chris Cairns loved the way he played the game and a really nice guy on the occasions I met him as a young high school student