Thread: Recording TV to PC

vCash

Recording TV to PC

Hey guys

Any of you techy types have any advice for recording (not just watching) TV to PC without using PVR's?

What hardware / software you'd require, etc etc?

Is it legal???

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Perfectly legal, it's no different from recording to a PVR in a lot of respects.

If you want to create a home theater pc, you need a TV decoder card they come in various forms, from USB sticks to expansion cards. Usually when you buy one of these it will contain some proprietary software which you use to watch the signal and record. The tricky bit comes if you want to use the footage (generally not all that legal, depending on what you do with it)

Most of the standard packages save the video in a weird format which requires you to watch it back in the same software....if that's not an issue to you, bobs your uncle.

Personally I would be buying a PVR with a USB connector (or if desperate a DVD burner) since 90% of what I record is deleted the instant I watch it. If there's anything I want to save, it would go to the USB and either to my plex box or direct to DVD, but you might not watch like me so.........

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Perfectly legal, it's no different from recording to a PVR in a lot of respects.

If you want to create a home theater pc, you need a TV decoder card they come in various forms, from USB sticks to expansion cards. Usually when you buy one of these it will contain some proprietary software which you use to watch the signal and record. The tricky bit comes if you want to use the footage (generally not all that legal, depending on what you do with it)

Most of the standard packages save the video in a weird format which requires you to watch it back in the same software....if that's not an issue to you, bobs your uncle.

Personally I would be buying a PVR with a USB connector (or if desperate a DVD burner) since 90% of what I record is deleted the instant I watch it. If there's anything I want to save, it would go to the USB and either to my plex box or direct to DVD, but you might not watch like me so.........
    Cheers Gigs, appreciate your help

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!