Thread: Wallabies outclass Ireland 32-15

vCash

Wallabies outclass Ireland 32-15

The Wallabies turned the corner with their best win of the year on Saturday, a dominant 32-15 triumph over Ireland at a packed Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

It was Australia's first back-to-back win of a forgettable 2013 as they produced a four-try shutout where their much-maligned forwards were powerful and their backline outclassed their Irish rivals.

Skipper Ben Mowen rated it the "most complete performance" under Ewen McKenzie, who now holds a 4-6 Test record.

The only downside was a late red card to outside centre Tevita Kuridrani for a tip tackle on Peter O'Mahony which jeopardises his place on tour with Tests against Scotland and Wales to come.

Energetic flanker Michael Hooper scored two tries, either side of being sin-binned, to be awarded man-of-the-match honours while enigmatic playmaker Quade Cooper continued his return to form in a 17-point display.

Ahead 15-12 at halftime, Cooper scored the try which turned the tussle the Wallabies way when he dummied and stepped through to highlight his team's growing maturity and improvement.

It came after a controversial no-try decision by television match official Geoff Warren who denied Nick Cummins a five-pointer by adjudicating the winger had failed to ground the ball properly.

Australia's much-maligned scrum then took matters into their own hands by wheeling the Irish pack to gain their own 5m feed before setting a perfect platform for Cooper to work his magic.

The Wallabies forwards were also rewarded for their combined efforts with a powerful 10-man driving maul try to Hooper which sealed the result with 12 minutes left.

Stout goalline defence also kept Ireland, not as slick or skilful with the ball as the Australians, tryless in the closing stages when they enjoyed a one-man advantage.

"I think that's our most complete performance to date," No.8 Mowen said. "It was really well balanced in attack and defence.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ireland-32-15/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Well done wallabies! Great to watch another win and to see the HB get another try. Well two in my book! Finally my irish other half is silenced after that 2011 world cup match!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    That was a good win - I'm glad we just managed to shut them out try-wise too.

vCash
    Am watching the replay now (at ~60 minute mark). AAC was a bit quiet, but Cummins and Folau have been great, as have the back-row. The front row haven't been too shoddy, either, winning a couple of important scrums and the Irish line-out has been disrupted quite a bit, too.

I can see why HB's try was disallowed, but I've also seen them given.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I can see why HB's try was disallowed, but I've also seen them given.
    Yeah- I've seen a lot of them given recently.

But the big difference is that we took it to the next level and took that decision out of the game. That scrum where we drilled them was ace and resulted in Cooper's try. That's the mark of a great side- when you can consistently play in a way that takes 50/50 referee calls out as a factor that may decide the outcome of the game. I'd love to see more of that.

It's just a shame that it was Cooper and not Cummins who came up with the meat.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I still think he should be renamed 2 try's Cummins!
    It looked to me as though he passed it from one hand to the other. A good game and great result.

May the FORCE be with you!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Lets be honest we were expected to beat Italy and Ireland lets get excited when we beat the AB's and the Boks

Rookie
    vCash
    don't fancy JOC's chances of getting back in the team, especially if Beale gets back in next year and Digby comes back

vCash
    I agree with Mowen about it being the 'most complete' performance, let's hope they don't think the job's done......there's still daylight between us and the top two!

C'mon the