Melissa Woods,
AAP
November 14, 2013, 10:56 am

Melbourne Rebels skipper Scott Higginbotham is confident his side can cover the loss of troubled star duo Kurtley Beale and James O'Connor.

Beale has returned to NSW, while the axed O'Connor is playing in England, and the Rebels are hopeful the focus will be on their rugby next season, rather than off-field issues.

The talented backs offered little value for their high price tags during their time in Melbourne due to injury, while Beale was also suspended and spent time in a rehabilitation facility for alcohol-related issues.

"We've got 30 blokes with their heads down trying to play at the Wallaby level, so there's not a lot of distractions," Higginbotham said.

"We've got Bryce Hegarty, who got a lot of game time at 10 last season, and there's Angus Roberts, who's got the makings to be a great 10."

Rangy former Australian schoolboy Jack Debreczeni, 20, has joined the Rebels from Sydney and is another prospect to partner halfback Luke Burgess.

With new coach Tony McGahan at the helm, Higginbotham said Melbourne, who finished 12th in 2013 under Damien Hill, were making a fresh start.

"Tony is very precise and professional, and very direct on his views," Higginbotham said.

"We've got a lot of young guys in the squad and having a lot of structure in the squad is what they need."

Higginbotham finished the Super Rugby season in career-best form, but missed the British and Irish Lions series in June and the remainder of the Test season after shoulder and hip surgery.

The 27-year-old remained hopeful of playing on the Wallabies' current five-Test northern hemisphere tour, but a small setback in his rehab meant he wasn't ready and he was still to resume full contact training.

"I came in very underdone at the start of 2013, which was disappointing for me," Higginbotham said.

"I was coming out of injuries and I just wasn't up to to scratch.

"I've missed a whole season of Wallabies, so I've got a lot to prove next year, so I'm looking forward to hitting the ground running rather than building into the season."

The Rebels will face the Waratahs in a trial in Albury on February 1 ahead of their opening Super Rugby match against the Cheetahs at AAMI Park on February 28.

As well as the defection of Beale, former Melbourne halfback Nick Phipps is now with NSW, while Lopeti Timani and Tom Kingston moved from the Tahs to the Rebels to add further spice to the clash.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...r-duo-skipper/