Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cummins sticks with the Force

vCash

Cummins sticks with the Force

Wallabies winger Nick Cummins will be back with the Western Force next year.

Frustrating and protracted negotiations with the Australian Rugby Union over his Wallabies top-up have finally been completed and Cummins will be in Perth for final discussions with Force management.

An announcement is imminent. One source said it was "hours rather than days away".

Cummins, who has been selected for the Wallabies' European Grand Slam tour, was off contract with the Super Rugby club in December and there was interest from another Australian team and French and Japanese clubs.

The flying "honey badger" - his self-anointed nickname - said he wanted to remain with the Force and while in Perth with the Wallabies for the recent Test against Argentina he said: "I do like it at home here. It feels like home."

At that time Cummins, who has become a cult figure with Force fans, also said he hoped to have made a commitment before the November tour. Force coach Michael Foley said this week that talks had been progressing well.

"Nick's definitely somebody we want to retain. We are particularly keen to see that he stays with the club," Foley said.

"We're very patient and very pleased that we are progressing in that regard. He is somebody that certainly added a lot of energy when he played for us last year and a lot of threat.

"There are deadlines to create clarity in Australian rugby, but from our point of view patience is an important part of making sure we do everything we can to get the squad we want."

Cummins has scored nine tries in 59 appearances for the Force since 2007.

His retention is an important link in what is shaping as a dynamic back line that will include former All Blacks scrum-half Alby Mathewson, Wallaby-in-waiting Kyle Godwin and new signing Luke Morahan.

The club is still negotiating with dumped Wallaby James O'Connor, who would bring more threats to the line-up.

If he returns it would complete the Force 2014 squad.

Cummins said the potential back line was very exciting.

"All these boys are pretty fast and exciting players, so good to run off the back of," he said.

Cummins has had mixed fortunes with the Wallabies, shattering his ankle on his very first day of training four years ago.

He was called back into the squad that travelled to South Africa the following year and won a silver medal in the Commonwealth Games in India.

Cummins made his Test debut against Argentina in 2012 and in that year's northern hemisphere tour was Australia's lone try-scorer in wins over England and Italy.

A knee injury limited him to just six games for the Force last season, but he showed enough to earn a recall to the Wallabies squad for the British and Irish Lions Test series.

He broke his hand in the one-point win over Argentina at Patersons Stadium in September, forcing him out of the final Rugby Championship matches. Did you know? 9 Nick Cummins has scored nine tries in his 59 appearances for the Western Force.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ith-the-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Just a couple of more hours to wait, media at noon at HQ

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Cummins commits to Force

The Emirates Western Force has re-signed powerful Wallabies winger, Nick Cummins for the 2014 and 2015 Super Rugby seasons.

The retention of Cummins continues the Force’s recruitment of additional pace in the backline which will see him team up with the likes of new recruits Dane Haylett-Petty, Marcel Brache, Zack Holmes and Luke Morahan, as well as current members including Kyle Godwin, Patrick Dellit, Junior Rasolea, Ed Stubbs and Jayden Hayward.

Cummins was recruited by the Force in 2007 and made his Super Rugby debut for the Western Australian side against the Sharks in Durban in 2008.

During his six seasons with the Perth-based club he has developed into a mainstay of the Emirates Western Force backline and has amassed 59 provincial caps.

In 2012 made his Test debut for the Wallabies against Argentina and has recorded a total of eight caps to date.

He is set to make a return for Australia in the upcoming Spring Tour after injuring his hand in the Wallabies’ 14-13 win over Argentina in Perth last month.

Cummins says he is excited about continuing his career with the Emirates Western Force and is looking forward to re-joining the side again following his Wallabies commitments.

“I’ve made Perth my home over the past six years and it’s exciting to be sticking around with this bunch of blokes and developing my game where I started my Super Rugby career,” he said.

“I’m looking forward to getting out there and seeing plenty more of the ‘seed’ in 2014.

“We’ve got a good group here and I’m looking forward to better results this year, and challenging each other – and ourselves – on the paddock will be at the forefront of what we’re looking to achieve.”

Emirates Western Force coach Michael Foley said Cummins will bring significant physicality to the backline in 2014.

“Nick creates a lot of energy amongst the team” Foley said. “He plays with an intensity that is second to none.

“He has an ability to use his speed to finish when in space, but also uses his power and determination to break tackles in close contact situations.”

Name: Nick Cummins
    Born: 05/10/1987, Port Macquarie
    Position: Wing
    Height: 189cm
    Weight: 99kg
    Super Rugby caps: 59 (Force)
    Super Rugby points: 45 (9t)
    Super Rugby debut: 2008 v Sharks, Durban
    Representative Rugby: 2008-2013 Emirates Western Force, 2012-2013 Wallabies, 2010 Commonwealth Games – Rugby Sevens, 2010 Australian Barbarians, 2006-2007 Australian Sevens

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsE...3/Default.aspx

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    it doesnt say in the Article but according to RUPA twitter he has signed untill the end of 2015!

RUPA @RUPAnews Congratulations to @nckcmmns on re-signing with the @westernforce until the end of 2015!

Champion
    vCash
    Great news! Good to have it official..
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Good stuff

vCash
    Excellent. Now, to run a game plan that gets the ball to him earlier and more often.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    And an injury-free season!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    “I’m looking forward to getting out there and seeing plenty more of the ‘seed’ in 2014.
    I can just 'hear' his words in my head! hahaha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BOOG View Post
    I can just 'hear' his words in my head! hahaha.
    Yessss - bring on the HB interview!!

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

Senior Player
    vCash
    About bloody time can't wait to see Morahan on one wing and HB on the other

It's raining tries Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    awesome news!! fanbloodytastic news in fact!

vCash
    Wouldn't be the same without the post match Honey Badger interviews !!! great news

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    It's raining tries Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!
    Or meat as Badger would say

Great news!

vCash
    From the fox site
    Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wa...#ixzz2i0lED9ou

Wallabies and Western Force winger Nick Cummins - nicknamed the Honey Badger (more on that later) - has put pen to a new deal that will see him stay Down Under for two more years.

It's great news for Force and Wallaby supporters, with the powerful ball-runner rejecting overseas offers to stick with Australian rugby through until the 2015 World Cup.
    And it's even better news for lovers of a good old one-liner, which Cummins has dished out almost as regularly as he's shed tackles in his five years on the rugby scene.
    The laid-back ex-Queenslander has a magnificent way with words that has earned him a cult following among the rugby faithful - and a Facebook appreciation page with more than 4000 fans.
    Whether it's scoring a "meat pie" (rhyming slang for try), going off "like a cut snake" or getting grooming tips from "`the flamboyant French'', Cummins is rarely, if ever, short of a word.
    Perhaps unsurprisingly, Cummins' best line features in his explanation of why he has such an admiration for a previously little-known African animal, the honey badger.
    "One of the stories that inspires me is that it is documented that a honey badger killed a male lion in a one-on-one,'' Cummins said last year ahead of his Test debut against Argentina in Rosario.
    "He clawed the canastas off the big fella. The big one-two. That to me is outstanding."
    Yep, outstanding indeed. Here's some more of Cummins' best work:
    - On how he won his way into a Wallabies jersey: "I've been doing it (playing Super Rugby) a good five years now. Lucky for me every bugger fell over and I got a gig.''
    - On the French rugby team: "The flamboyant French? They look all right. They have a good style about them with their hairdos. I might take a few pointers and go to a stylist to sort myself out. A few of the boys tell me I look a bit ordinary at times.''
    - On his maiden Test try (in the win over England at Twickenham last year): ""I just saw the line, pinned me ears back and ended bagging a bit of meat (pie) in the corner there, which was tops!"
    - On being named in the Wallabies squad for the British and Irish Lions series: "My old man woke me up in the morning. He was going off like a bag of cats.''
    - On the chance to play for the Wallabies against the British and Irish Lions: "If I get a gig, I'm gonna go off like a cut snake."
    - On marking Springboks speedster Bryan Habana: "He's a pretty quick rooster alright. You don't show him the sideline thats for sure.''
    - On playing alongside Quade Cooper and Israel Folau in the Wallabies backline: "Imagine running off Izzy and Quade. How about that - I'd be happy to get a bit of meat."
    - On returning to the Wallabies side (v South Africa, in Brisbane last month): "When you come into this sort of game you've got to show the patience of the Dalai Lama initially in order to get that gig and when it comes round be ready to strike. Tonight unfortunately wasn't the night for us."
    - On re-signing with Western Force: "I'm looking forward to getting out there and seeing plenty more of the 'seed' in 2014.''
    - On Christmas lunch with the family: "Dad's got the tucker ready over there. Mum and Dad are going to work together to form a massive feed and then I'm going to come in and dominate it.

They missed the one about " a sack of cats at a grey hound meet" I love that one ��

Last edited by SNOB; 18-10-13 at 04:11.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast