Thread: Wallabies fire off refs complaint to IRB

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies fire off refs complaint to IRB

Jim Morton,
    AAP
    Updated November 7, 2013, 8:25 pm

A frustrated Ewen McKenzie has fired off a lengthy submission to the International Rugby Board demanding answers for unfair treatment of the Wallabies scrum.

Australia's set-piece has traditionally been its achilles heel, but McKenzie staunchly believes it's continued to be harshly adjudicated by Test officials due to history and perception.

A former tight-head prop, who played 51 Tests, the Wallabies coach was incensed by what he saw as blatant inconsistencies by Irish referee George Clancy in the weekend's 20-13 loss to England.

McKenzie was pleased overall with how his scrum confronted the English, particularly on their own feed, but was flabbergasted they copped seven penalties.

He and scrum coach Andrew Blades, another former Test front-rower, went over each scrum with a fine tooth comb in their analysis and feels they need to tackle the issue head on.

"I know a fair bit about the scrum, more than most, so I know what was going on, and I've made a submission (to the IRB)," said McKenzie in Turin ahead of Saturday's clash with Italy.

"I actually thought we did some good stuff out there. The referee didn't think we did some good stuff, but I actually thought we did, so we will address that through the official channels.

"It's down to matters of consistent interpretation. I haven't got my mind around the fact you can win your own scrum ball cleanly and you get seven scrum penalties against you and they get none.

"It defies some logic there."

The lowest points of Australia's professional era have always come with poor scrummaging displays, highlighted by the 2005 and 2007 demolitions by England at Twickenham and Marseille, respectively.

The Wallabies have struggled to adapt to the new soft-engagement laws since they were introduced in August and that has significantly contributed to their dreadful 3-8 win-loss record this year.

McKenzie - who has stuck by his front-row of James Slipper, Stephen Moore and Ben Alexander - feels his pack has improved throughout the season but is haunted by perception.

"If you're seeing a penalty for one thing and then later in the game seeing the same thing happen on the other side and the penalty still goes against you then you go 'what's going on here?'," he said.

"You clearly have to have a good day at the office but we are actually doing some good things there but we are not getting any reward there."

Against England, the Wallabies did set a stronger platform on their attacking scrums, which had been their main worry as the hooker now has to strike with his foot, disrupting the push.

"The initial communication that I sent has been acknowledged that there was, even on outset, some inconsistencies and they would have to get back to us," McKenzie said.

Australia made just one change, starting lock Rob Simmons at blindside flanker, to their starting XV for this weekend's Test against Italy at Stadio Olympico.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...plaint-to-irb/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    It'll be another hard day at the office against Italy, and Castogiovanni (I assume he's playing) is as tricky a bastard as you'll ever see. He is literally the Richie McCaw of the front row.

C'mon the

vCash
    Referee: Glen Jackson (New Zealand)
    Assistant referees: Romain Poite (France), John Lacey (Ireland)
    Television match official: Graham Hughes (England)

vCash
    I shared a few beers with a Kiwi aquaintance yesterday. He said last match was the worst refereeing he'd ever seen, and went on to say the Wallabies have been copping it for quite a while now. I nearly fell off my barstool.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    does he owe you money?

vCash
    No. But I dunno what's worse. Losing Bledisloes for more than a decade or Kiwis feeling sorry for us.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    POITE!!!! OH NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!!!!