Thread: Sonny Bill rules out boxing for three years

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Sonny Bill rules out boxing for three years

DAVID LONG IN LIVERPOOL

Last updated 08:53 24/10/2013

Sonny Bill Williams has ruled out boxing again for the next three years.

The most in-demand player at the Rugby League World Cup finally broke his silence today and spoke to the media after a Kiwis training session in St Helens, just outside Liverpool.

Williams spoke for about 10 minutes after signing autographs for many of the 200 or so league fans who turned up mainly to see him in action.

During his media scrum he was asked his views on New Zealand boxer Joseph Parker. Promoter Dean Lonergan is prepared to put up $1 million in prize money for the pair to fight.

However, Williams said that while he hoped Parker had a good career, he didn't expect to be stepping back into the boxing ring in the near future.

"I wish him nothing but the best, nothing but success," Williams said.

"For me and my future, the next three years in my head has been mapped out and I guess there isn't any time in the next few years for boxing - maybe after that we'll see what happens."

Williams is expected to re-sign with the Roosters early next year and after one more season playing league, come back to New Zealand to play rugby union for the Chiefs and All Blacks for the following two years.

Meanwhile, Williams said he was willing to help out his good friend Anthony Mundine, who needs $1 million so that he can fight American boxer Shane Mosely.

Mosely walked out on a fight that was supposed to take place on Wednesday night because he hadn't been paid the $700,000 he was expecting to receive from promoter Vlad Wharton.

The fight will be back on again if Mundine can come up with the money and he told Australian media yesterday that he would ask Williams to help out and repay the favour he did for him five years ago. At that time Mundine he bankrolled Williams' move from the Bulldogs to French rugby union side Toulon.

Williams said he had no problems in helping out Mundine so that the fight could be back on.

"It is very unfortunate the whole situation there," Williams said.

"But Choc is a brother and he'll always be.

"If he needs me I'm willing to help out, but I know he'll be OK. It is very unfortunate because I know he was training the house down and it was a pretty big fight for him.

"Hopefully they sort that out."

As for this Rugby League World Cup, Williams said he was looking forward to getting stuck in after Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney rested him for last weekend's warmup game against the Cook Islands.

"I am really excited, I just want to get out there," he said.

"I wanted to play last week, I asked the coach, but I'd only had a couple of weeks to get used to the game plan and things like that, but I'm raring to go this Sunday if I get picked."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/...or-three-years

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    "It is very unfortunate the whole situation there," Williams said.

"But Choc is a brother and he'll always be.

"If he needs me I'm willing to help out, but I know he'll be OK....."

Don't bother asking (I love big buts).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!